Incision Very RED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision Very RED Incision Very RED

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Incision Very RED

My TAH was 11/23. My staples were removed 1 week later. I called my nurse a few days ago. Incision had a lot of drainage, very red. She said as long as the drainage was not green, and I didn't have "Flu" like symptoms, I was okay. I've been applying Neosporin to the incision, for about 4 days, still very red, and burns. Could I have been allergic to the metal in the staples? I know I keep over doing it. Two days ago I started decorating the outside of the house for Christmas. No ladders, or climbing, I took my time, I did stretch a lot. Yesterday, my son and I went to Walmart, I was starting to feel a lot of discomfort. I had planned to finish the outside of the house. No way, put my nightgown on, and rested the whole day. It felt like the first week of post-op all over again. I feel a little bit better today, incision burns, hurts to get up and down. Thank you for your responses. By the way, I spent only 1 day in the hospital. I convinced my Dr I would be good, & I was. I stayed in bed for almost the whole week. My Dr removed everything. First week of post-op at home was HELL! Thank you for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Incision Very RED

I hope the incension heals nicely. mine was very red for a long time . good luck
hugs
lisa
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Incision Very RED

Please watch for signs of infection. Does the red area feel hot? Does the drainage have an odor? Stay on top of this and call your doctor if you suspect it's becoming infected. It might be a good idea to call the doctor in the morning just to find out if this should be happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
incision issue too

I just had my done on the 6th so it's still very fresh but I'm concerned. I have a bit of a hanging belly and they did my incision right along that fold. Good in a way, it's already there but bad because my stomach folds over it....it's not getting enough air I think. It feels raw to the touch, they used the glue to put me back together so no stitches but it's VERY soar....I know it's only a few days but do I need to keep my hanging belly out of the way and how the hell do you do that!!! It's not that big of a hanging belly but enough to cause a crease that makes the incision almost go in deeper.....

I'm staying off my feet except for a little walking, still haven't had a bm so that too is worrying me, last one moved on Wednesday.....

any help or advice on this would be much appreciated!

love you sisters, big time!
Unread 12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Incision Very RED

teleclark ... I went for a week or week and a half without a bowel motion boy o boy was that painful!, try some stool softeners or a mild enima? (thats what my nurse had to end up giving me ewww)
As for the incision sorry I have no idea? .... Mine is right on the Bikini line and is all of 7cm big and I havent had any problems with it **touch wood** it may just pay to keep an eye on things and if it gets hot to touch, starts oozing and/or has a odour about it, it will pay to go back to your doctor in the meantime and hope you have a good recovery
Unread 12-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Incision Very RED

Hi teleclark,

When I went for my 1 week my doctor told me to shower as normal, wash the incision, let water run over it and dry it with a cool hair dryer. Then she told me to get some gauze (i got the rolled kind) and place it over the incision so that it would fold over and be held in place by my fat roll! LOL--it feels better to do this! She emphasized keeping it dry. I change my gauze 2 to 3 times a day and before bed. I also had the glue and dissolving stitches. Hope this helps!
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Incision Very RED

My incision was very red when I went in to get the staples removed this past Tuesday. The nurse who removed them said my skin had a reaction to the metal staples. She said to watch it and may sure of no significant drainage or odor. The steri-strips she placed on it afterwards were a welcome relief! Now, the incision looks very good and the doc recommended using Mederma after the steri-strips finish wearing off in a couple of days.
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:38 PM
sisternumber 3, sounds like a plan!

you state what I have, no other stitches except on the inside and glue on the outside. doc did say to keep the water off of it, keep it dry but unless I lay flate and hold my belly, this won't get air!

I plan to call doc tomorrow and ask her about your recommendation, it's not something I thought to ask her, didn't cross my mind until I got home and noticed how it folded over the incision.....

if mother nature doesn't push something out soon, I'm going to go get that Fleet stuff, tastes like bad orange coolaide with a pound of suger in it but it does the trick, I had to do that the night before a lap I had two years ago, worked like a charm....I'd prefer this to happen without so probably will stay in deniel for a least another day!

look kids, it's bloaty the eight dwarf!!!!

thanks for all the help ladies......
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Incision Very RED

The first thing I would do is to STOP using the Neosporin. It keeps the incision too moist and healing doesn't occur as it should (I learned this the hard way from an injury that required stitches).

If there is heat, there is usually infection. Pay close attention to your symptoms, and call your doctor if you're unsure. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hoping all goes well....
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Still Red

Okay, I'm 17 days post-op, still very red. Drainage has finally stopped. I will continue to keep it clean, & stop the Neosporin. I'm seeing my Dr this Wed.. My 7 day post-op was a blur. Never asked any questions, I was sick & in too much pain. I will show him my incision. Thanks for the info. By the way, it doesn't feel hot, but does feel warm.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register