Pee-pee question for the post-op ladies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pee-pee question for the post-op ladies Pee-pee question for the post-op ladies

Unread 03-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Peeing question for the post-op ladies - toilet paper or baby wipes?

So, there is something to be said for site where you know that no question is a stupid question........

I have read the posts about the first BM (can't say as I am looking forward to that) but I have a question about just regular peeing.

I am having a LAVH on Tuesday and wondered if I am better to use baby wipes instead of toilet paper? I can't imagine toilet paper will be that comfortable to use during recovery but I would love the input of the post-op ladies.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Pee-pee question for the post-op ladies

Hi dammkat

I'm really not sure which is more comfortable. Here's why - I had a TAH and during it, my bladder got knicked so I kept my catheter for 18 days post-op. By the time I divorced Mr. Foley Catheter, I was on my way to healing. I did alternate between paper and wipes for my BMs though.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure that some post-op LAVH ladies will come along that can help you.
Unread 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Kat,

I used TP after my LAVH and didn't have any problems. I really wasn't sore or tender down there. For the BMs, I used stool softeners daily as well as prunes. That worked really well for me.

Wishing you a smooth surgery and uneventful recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2008, 04:01 PM

I had a vaginal hyst and had no problems at all with peeing after surgery. I really thought it would be painful but it wasn't at all. T.P is all I used and never gave it another thought.
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Agreed. Peeing was no problem, thankfully.

#2 on the other hand... well, that was challenging for the first couple times.

I expected my vagina & labia to be sore but I didn't notice that too much until I was cleared for sex. As always, YMMV.
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Urinating wasn't really an issue here either - the first couple of times it felt a little "weird" -- probably because I had extensive endo between my uterus and my bladder. TP was all I needed for that.

For BMs - my first one was rock hard but not all that painful. The hardness was due to the narcotic pain killers. I take a stool softener and a laxative daily (approved by my doc). Once I was off the narcotic pain killers and down to tylenol (now nothing) for pain my BMs became more like baby poop - very very soft. I use TP to wipe initially and then use baby wipes to get trully clean; I don't think the baby wipes are essential, but they do a very nice job.

(I have to laugh - this is probably the only place in the world where conversations like this one are considered *normal* !)

All the best with your surgery Kat - you're almost on the other side !!
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Hello I had a catheter inserted for the first twenty four hours. After its removal I found I couldn't pee very easily. This was because my bladder was moved about during surgery as I had extensive adhesions. However the nurse who was looking after me ran a tap and I was able to'go' after that. Bms were a different matter however. I took moist wipes into hospital whicn are useful for cleaning but I didn't have a proper BM until a week later. Best wishes with your surgery.
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM

I didn't have any irritation with urinating, until I strained during a BM and pull on my rectocele incision site. Even then it wasn't the actually act of peeing that was hard, but when the urine hit the irritated incision, so I had to just lean forward so it would.

I do recommend some wipes for #2 though, as the stool softeners and other laxative type of stuff came make things messier than normal.
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks ladies, I bought some wipes thinking I'd need them for peeing but sounds like I'll be using them more for the dreaded BM! Stool softeners, darn, knew I forgot something!!!!
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM

i had a TVH and paper was no issue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register