non-narcotic post-op pain relief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

non-narcotic post-op pain relief non-narcotic post-op pain relief

Unread 11-05-2003, 01:37 PM
non-narcotic post-op pain relief

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2003, 06:40 PM

I was not able to use this device but there have been several sisters here who have and raved about it. Check with your doctor and also check to see if your hospital is listed on the On-Q website and participating with this device.

Also there are drugs available that are no narcotics that work wonders like Toradol, you may want to ask about these drugs with your anesthesia team during pre op.

s

Donna
Unread 11-05-2003, 09:39 PM

Dear PuddinPuddin:

First of all I am sorry you have to have this surgery! Second of all: You are going to love it! Ok, I had this type of pain pump after my TAH. It was the bomb baby! While you are in the operating room they insert a tiny tube into your incision site that is hooked up to a little ball (about the size of a handball). It has it's own little bag, kind like a fanny pack but only with a shoulder strap so you can walk around with it. What it does is it constantly drips a tiny amound of a numbing drug into your incision site (like novacane at the dentist). When you wake up from your surgery it will be in place and your incision will be completely numb. This medicine slowly drips out until the pump dries up, this usually takes about 2 days and then they remove the tube. You can't feel a thing when they remove the tube. the tube is so small, it is about the size of dental floss. Along with this type of pain killer, I was hooked up to a PCA pump with Morphine. This is the type of pump that YOU are in control of and only you push it when you need pain relief. Well, in all honesty, I NEVER once pushed that button! In fact, the only pain medication I used after my surgery was 800 mg Motrin. That is not to say that you will be totally painless, because you will have pain, but I am telling you this is the best pain relief out there. If you can manage it without the narcotics, you will be one step ahead in the healing process because you will not have to worry about constapation or feeling woosey. I absolutely can't stand the way those drugs make me feel and I was SO glad that I didn't need them! I had a c-section 12 years ago with my dd and I can still remember the pain I had upon waking from the anestesia. It was awful, this was a walk in the park compared to it. And, by the way, if you have ever had a c-section before I would say that the recovery is much the same with a hysterectomy.....maybe a little bit tougher...but mostly the same.

Good wishes to you! You gotta get this, it really works!

Val

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register