Cervix stay or not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix stay or not Cervix stay or not

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Cervix stay or not

SO i am gonna have a lavh to take uterus out. I made the decision to keep ovaries. I am having this hysto for endo of 11 years almost 12, adenomyosis and very bad chronic pain. I also have three week periods when i do bleed.

I just met with my gyn three days ago, first time i met her as she is taking over my other gyn who was five months new to me but she did my last lap in June 2011 and her and I are the ones that made the plans to take uterus out. I was worrid this gyn wouldn't want to but she will. My last gyn told me there was no need to keep cervix.
But I am wondering still about keeping it. She said all it is the bottom of the uterus and nothing really,
Any ideas on this?
I have read that the cervix can play a role in some peoples sex and i know it does mine and i am only 29 so I was worried about it. And I am worried I will feel emtpy inside.

Will I feel emtpy inside or droopy from no uterus and no cervix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Re: Cervix stay or not

I don't know how it will feel, cause my hysterectomy is not until the 27th, but I'm having mine out. I've heard a lot of people say it didn't effect their sex life at all, but the thing that did it for me is that if you leave it in, you leave the chance of still having mini periods. If I'm going to go through the trouble of having a hysterectomy, I DO NOT want to have to deal with periods afterwards!
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM

OH ya I forgot about that. And I am not needing periods. My pain is the worst on periods and I usually had to leave work and is hard to walk and is that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM

I struggled for many a night on this topic and decided after a lot of research to have my cervix removed. First off, if you choose to keep the cervix, you will not be able to have an LAVH cause it goes regardless with this procedure. Secondly, if you have it removed, you will need no more paps due to getting rid of the chance of ever developing cervical cancer. (No cervix). Lastly, the mini periods are small and only happen in about 5% of women.

After taking everything into consideration, I decided to have it gone. I didn't want to take the chance with cancer OR mini periods. There is no scientific facts about decreased sexual pleasure once it is removed. Plus, I have a couple of friends who had it done and they said it didn't change a thing.

Hope this helps you in making the best decision for yourself. I have faith that you will make the decision that is perfect for you and you alone. This website is great for information so make sure to browse it and get EVERYONE'S advice.

Good luck!!
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I had a TAH/BSO and have to say that I am glad that I chose to have my cervix removed. Until recently I havent had any bleeding (and the bleeding now is due to something else) and my sex drive is better then it had been in years because I didnt have any pain. I must admit that once I was fully recovered (2ish months) that I had a day that I noticed that I wasnt feeling ANY pain for the first time in over 10 years! It was the most amazing feeling. It didnt feel empty but it was a lack of something. Hard to explain but I knew that day that I made the right decision.

Your doctor is right, the cervix really doesnt have a purpose without the uterus and I have not had any problems due to not having it. The one thing about paps though, my doctor still recommends them every 2-3 years because of the fact that it isnt guaranteed to remove the total cervix, it could have some cells left over and just to be safe but it is much better then the bleeding and it does significantly reduce the chance of cancer.

Take some time to think about it and if need be get a second opinion to reassure yourself. You dont want to go into this surgery without being completely sure you know what you want.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

I kept my cervix because I did not want to deal with the vaginal cuff and the increased chance of prolapse.

I am very happy with my decision as most people on post op who have problems - the problems are mainly due to the vaginal cuff. It is just one more thing that needs to heal.

But as someone else said, you can't have an LAVH and keep your cervix.
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM

I had my cervix removed. I have not missed it! LOL Sex is amazing with no lubrication issues. I don't feel empty in any way.
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM

I had two docs ( I got a second opinion ). The first said to remove it, better to not chance cervical cancer, even though the percentage is extremely low. The second said I should keep it because I was young and it will help with pelvic floor issues in my long term future. I asked about complications due to cervix being left in, and he said 5%. He also said cervical removal is a quick uncomplicated procedure should I ever need it out. He said I should keep as many healthy parts of me as I could. I have never had cervical problems, no hpv, and wanted to go with the second doctor, so I am keeping mine. If it gives me problems, I will not hesitate to get it taken out. But until then, I am going with Doc # 2.
Both Docs are well respected in our community. Hard decision.
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:09 PM

Well I myself have had cervix issues. I have had mutliple counts of Pid with an std many years ago. Have had that treated. Today I am married and with one partner who is my husband. In May I was treated for Pid again, with no std. I have very sensitive cervix that can hurt a lot. And it has been so sensitive it was bleeding just for gyn to touch on it at times.
I also have had abnormal paps, and cin 1. show up at the time years ago. It has gone away but you never know since I am still some how getting pid once in a while.

What kind of prolapse problems could I have?
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM

I talked to my doc about this and he said there is absolutely no reason to keep the cervix. It's is not a "pleasure point" nor does it hold up any other organs. So...I just believed him and had it out. Now I'm wondering if I still have to have pap smears?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register