Physical Therapy for Abdominal Muscles - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Physical Therapy for Abdominal Muscles Physical Therapy for Abdominal Muscles

Unread 09-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Physical Therapy for Abdominal Muscles

I am going to PT for IT band tendonitis (hip). As part of all my hip stabilization stuff, I do ab work. First I started by "bracing". This is when you lie down on your back with your knees bent in a classic situp position, and ... brace your ab muscles. I had to put my fingers there to make sure they were tightening. 3x1minute for all the ab exercises - every day, sometimes twice a day.
When that exercise got easy, I went on to "marching". This is like the above, but then you lift a leg off the ground, then put it down, then the other one. Fun, fun. Be sure to keep the back towards the ground evenly, don't flatten it on the ground or let it arch too much.
The next harder one is "taping". This is like the above, except both feet are off the floor at the same time, taping down one at a time.
The next harder one is "bicycling", just like the taping, only instead of taping the ground, you reach it out in front of you (away from your but).
I started back doing crunches on the ball this week also. For the first time today, I feel like the muscles are getting strong and they don't feel damaged when I work them!! Before they hurt in weird ways, exactly like I had some holes poked in them and they were damaged. Now they feel like they are getting strong (but are still weak).

Good luck! No fun to pull those muscles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Hello all!
I have tried to keep quiet about being a physical therapist, but I can't keep my mouth shut anymore....
So THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE
However I do specialize in women's health and orthopedic problems. Teach at a PT school about women's health etc etc
Anything I say will be "general advice"
Here goes: I am shocked at the number of people that come to me with general low back pain (men and women) who are doing crunches and thinking they are helping their back.
Many folks can do a crunch without even using their abdominals!!!!
A very safe beginning abdominal exercise is called the "elevator".
Sit in a comfortable chair with back supported and feet in the floor.
Pull in navel toward spine - especially target those muscles between the navel and pubic bone. This will be the "top floor" of a building.
Relax your muscles - this is the "basement"
Again pull in to the spine and let your muscles relax half way (let the elevator come half way down, but not to the basement)
Pull back in to the spine.
Repeat 10 times.
Relax and if able repeat for another 10 reps.

No stress to your spine - wonderful targeting of the abdominals. And after you get the hang of this you can do them in any position anywhere (like Kegels).

If you are taking the time to exercise your abdominals - make sure you are targeting and working what you think you are!!!

After you are sure you have your abdominals engaged and the elevators have become easy - cont with the ex's that bikerchick outlines - they are great!

Sorry for the rant.

I could go off about scar tissue too, but I'll save that for another post!!!
Unread 09-30-2006, 09:38 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you. Finally something I feel I can do. I was doing them as I was reading your email LOL And I hear everyone talking about scar tissue and I"m in the dark. What do they mean scar tissue? Where? How does it affect my recovery? I'm three weeks post op. I had a totally hysterectomy. Thanks for the help
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 07:43 AM

Kim,
I have dealt with patients with lots of scar tissue issues, but that does not mean everyone will have trouble with it. Do you have other scars on your skin? Are they soft and mobile? If so you probably won't have trouble.

All of us will have internal scars if you will....healing from the removal of our uteri. Sometimes these can cause pulling and pain.

I often do myofascial release to help with internal abdominal adhesions/scars. This should NOT be done until after healing has occurred. I would personally not do this on myself or a patient until at least 3 months after surgery.

So to sum up the scar tissue issue, if you are healing well and moving well, no worries!!
Before I drone on and on about this, I'll stop there. If you have any more ?? just let me know!
Unread 10-01-2006, 03:27 PM

Ladies I just had my 1 year anniversary, and dealt with a lot of pain that, i became terrified to use any of my stomach muscles, ( very bad decision), my posture was getting worse and worse, and after 11 months I was still doing things to favor my stomache, end result horrible big belly, and totally out of shape, I have now been going to the gym for 4 weeks and what a difference in the way i sit and move now. My point is yes dont do too much at the beginning, but also dont be afraid to do a little every day. Listen to your body, but most definately get back into some sort of exercise routine as soon as you are feeling up to it, and dont expect to do the exercises you did before the op... Sincerely Sueuae
Unread 10-01-2006, 09:08 PM

I saw my doctor Friday and asked about walking and karate she said I could start walking but start out slow maybe 1/2 mile and I could go back to karate but only upper body work, no abs or kicking. But I was very active before surgery so maybe that is why she said go ahead but very slowly.
Unread 10-01-2006, 10:00 PM

Thank You Breadlady for the reminder! I've seen this exercise and know I should do it, but your note just reminded me I should. You can do these in the car, at a desk job, at the computer, anywhere. They help me when I remember to do them!!
Unread 10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh no, not pilates!

39 Daisies - your doctor told you pilates! Good gracious - I couldn't do that right away before I had surgery. Those moves are tough. In the back of the Hyster Sister book are gentle exercises to do rehab with - I am going to try those. I have found that massage is great for dealing with the stiffness and scar tissue.

Ineedabreeze - do watch what you get near the incision. I tried plain old lotion right on it (called myself getting rid of the last little bits of dissolving stich) and the stinging was ugly for a few moments. That was weeks after surgery.

For all of us, if you can't sit bolt upright from being flat on your back, you can't do vigorous ab routines. Do small amounts of gentle things to help and I can't say enough about walking. You will gradually find your speed increasing and your posture will improve if you watch your form.

Hope that helps. Oh and for doctor referrals - it's usually one from your own if that. It depends on the health plan.
Unread 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Im waiting to be able to do heavy duty excercises, but Im 9 weeks post so Im gonna call the dr. first . I feel great . hope you feel better soon ...patutes
Unread 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM

I would like some helpful hints on flattening my stomach, situps just dont seem to get it. any advice ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register