Post hysterectomy Constipation relief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy Constipation relief Post hysterectomy Constipation relief

Unread 10-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Post hysterectomy Constipation relief

I've read about it and dreaded it, but it finally happened...post op constipation 😞The last two days have been pure misery with today being the worst. I have been doing the ibuprofen every 4 hrs to keep the pain meds in my system while using the Percocet in the middle of the night as needed. I used dulcolax to clean my system the night before my surgery, and as of today (day 5 post op). I had yet to go!! I have been in pure agony. I began eating apples, pears, spinach, drinking peppermint tea, ginger ale and lots of water along with taking my nightly cola e with stool softener. Today finally consisted of about 20 trips to the restroom with no success. I finally decided to take a dulcolax for women with sensitive stomachs. I also ate half of a bowl of sautéed spinach and half of a pear for dinner. Within 3 hrs of dinner I can finally say that I have RELIEF and I have never felt so good!! So i've decided to stop taking any of the pain pills unless I absolutely need to because I'm afraid this will happen again. I am in no real pain right now so there isn't really a need to take one. I'm hoping that this will all be uphill from now as I never want to feel that way AGAIN!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDP75 View Post
I've read about it and dreaded it, but it finally happened...post op constipation 😞The last two days have been pure misery with today being the worst. I have been doing the ibuprofen every 4 hrs to keep the pain meds in my system while using the Percocet in the middle of the night as needed. I used dulcolax to clean my system the night before my surgery, and as of today (day 5 post op). I had yet to go!! I have been in pure agony. I began eating apples, pears, spinach, drinking peppermint tea, ginger ale and lots of water along with taking my nightly cola e with stool softener. Today finally consisted of about 20 trips to the restroom with no success. I finally decided to take a dulcolax for women with sensitive stomachs. I also ate half of a bowl of sautéed spinach and half of a pear for dinner. Within 3 hrs of dinner I can finally say that I have RELIEF and I have never felt so good!! So i've decided to stop taking any of the pain pills unless I absolutely need to because I'm afraid this will happen again. I am in no real pain right now so there isn't really a need to take one. I'm hoping that this will all be uphill from now as I never want to feel that way AGAIN!!
I'm 4 days after mine and I drink that mag citrate drink they have u do before surgery its a gentle laxative drink the lady at the hospital gave me one and it was water and came out nice no pain nothing she said I can drink it every three days so I don't get backed up or have to push and its worked wonders on many women
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:33 AM

I cane home Thursday afternoon without a bowel movement and no gas to pass , I was given an enima, colace milk of magnesium with prune juice and nothing has helped. I've pushed and it hurts, I've been in tears. I was taking 2 percocets every six hours not realizing I was supposed to do every 4 hrs. Needless to say they called me in Xanax to rest . Still no full relief . I'm scared my pain meds will runout going everytwo to four hours. I also pushed so hard tonight that i hurt my insides of the vaginal were burning and stomach hurt worse. Help Is there relief does this get better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluvfam52 View Post
I cane home Thursday afternoon without a bowel movement and no gas to pass , I was given an enima, colace milk of magnesium with prune juice and nothing has helped. I've pushed and it hurts, I've been in tears. I was taking 2 percocets every six hours not realizing I was supposed to do every 4 hrs. Needless to say they called me in Xanax to rest . Still no full relief . I'm scared my pain meds will runout going everytwo to four hours. I also pushed so hard tonight that i hurt my insides of the vaginal were burning and stomach hurt worse. Help Is there relief does this get better?
The mag citrate drink they have u take before surgery. U can buy it at walgreens it works better than any of that other stuff I'm gonna be a religous drinker being on dilaudid every 3 hours backs u up quick.
Unread 10-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Re: Post hysterectomy Constipation relief

Well I finally went to bathroom. Thank goodness. That part feels a little better. I've been having some pain from what feels like inside the vaginal area, like burning. My right side of my stomach the side around to my back hurts and inside my stomach feels like pulling downward. Is that normal? I'm scared I'm going to run out of pain meds. I don't want to be in pain.
Unread 10-12-2014, 07:10 PM

I am 4 days post op and no bm but I don't feel constipated. Maybe I will buy a bottle of mag citrate tomorrow and drink some, do you have to drink the whole bottle? Or just some, and does it cause stomach cramping?
Unread 10-12-2014, 08:29 PM

I too am 4 days post op and miserable. I'm so stopped up and tried to poo several times got a little relief but had to really strain and now my belly hurts pretty bad. I've eaten prunes, taken miralax and linzess which is a Rx for constipation. Ive drank a ton of water and eaten popcorn, fruits and lots of veggies. I hope I go tomorrow.
Unread 10-12-2014, 08:37 PM

Today was day 4 post op for me too and I was determined to have a bm. The dr told me if I didn't have one today then tomorrow we had to take more drastic measures! I have been taking ducolax (stool softener) since the surgery and Miralax (mild laxative) since I started eating solid food day two. I started drinking warm prune juice yesterday. I have been drinking lots and lots of water and walking. Today I had a green salad for lunch with nuts in it. I finally had a bm and my stool was the consistency of mud! Guess maybe I overdid it a little, but at least it came out and didn't hurt! I am going to back off the prune juice and just try the Miralax and docolax a few days now and see how it goes. Water and walking are essential too. Walking gets your bowls moving.
Unread 10-12-2014, 09:26 PM

I'm 4 days post op as well and absolutely miserable, feeling like I have to go, but very little and very hard, I've taken Miralax for 2 days and today a suppository and stool softener, I'm hoping for relief soon as I'm afraid to keep taking pain pills, I feel like that's just just adding to the misery. Hoping tomorrow brings some results.
Unread 10-13-2014, 12:16 AM

I am 5 weeks post op and I have been having bowel movements everyday with the help of turmeric and cayenne pepper in warm water and have not looked back. I hope that helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register