How long before I go back to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before I go back to work? How long before I go back to work?

Unread 04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
How long before I go back to work?

Can anyone share their recovery with me? Just wondering what the time frame for returning to work is? Not that I am anxious to get back My Dr. initially said 5 weeks. Also, how long for actual hospital stay? My mom was in for 5 days but she had cancer that had spread past uterus and into lympnodes and muscle tissue. I am only having uterus and cervix removed I wonder if that makes a difference on how long hospital stay is? Thanks for sharing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2006, 09:11 AM

You don't say what type of surgery. I had TAH and had surgery Wed am and went home Fri am. And I was glad to be leaving. Totally bored in the hospital. The folks were really good there but it is not the same as your own bed.
If the dr says 5 weeks, take the full 5 weeks. Your body needs to rest and recuperate. There is lots going on inside that needs to heal. I am on week 8 and am glad I work PT from home. My hat is off to anyone who goes back to work after 5 weeks.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:26 AM

How was your pain? I too am having a TAH. How did you feel when you woke up from surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2006, 11:24 AM

My husband said I was really chatty when I woke up. I really was kind of groggy still and not really in pain until I tried to move. I had a morphine drip which can make you nauseous. If they offer anti nausea medication, say please, and take it. You will feel much better. The nurses will try to get you up and moving pretty soon. But make sure you push that button on the morphine thing before you try moving. And ask them the best way to get out of bed. They should be able to help you get up and moving. Remember that button is your best friend that first day.
Unread 04-13-2006, 03:34 PM

I had LAVH-no more uterus or cervix, kept ovaries. I went in at 6:00 Thursday morning and left at 2:00 Friday afternoon. Dr. said 4-6 weeks off work. I'm planning on returning this Monday (the 17th) which will be 5 1/2 weeks.

Hope that helps!
Unread 04-13-2006, 04:20 PM

I went in Tuesday April 4th at 5:30am surgery at 1:00pm. Released on Wednesday at 7:00pm! I got 5 weeks off from work. Oh also had a TVH! No big deal the worse part was the pain in recovery! My IV was clogged and none of the nurses new whats was wrong....UUGGH! I'm not trying to scare you just make sure your Iv's dripping! Barbie
Unread 04-13-2006, 06:45 PM

I had an SAH (kept my cervix), and stayed in the hospital 2 nights. The first week after, I was too spacy to think about working at all, except for some phone calls and emails from home. This week, the second week, I've been working from home fine, lots of conference calls and phone meetings, but no difficult mental concentration. Next week, I'll go in 1 or 2 days, and work from home the rest. Everyone is different, but my surgeon said it was fine for me to go back as soon as I felt ok with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register