HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

post general anesthetic and sore throat and cough post general anesthetic and sore throat and cough

Unread 05-03-2003, 07:20 PM
post general anesthetic and sore throat and cough

I am three days post op. General anesthetic for tvh/bos/posterior repair. Those are tough, along with figuring out hormones, but what is driving me nuts is sore throat and couch with wheezing and chest pain. I am not coughing anything up, and as long as I suck on lozenge my throat isn't too bad, but the cough is killing my tummy which is sore anyway, and the chest pain is bad. I am on two different postop antibiotics, but is this normal? Should I call the doc? What do I do to help it?
Unread 05-03-2003, 08:11 PM
concerns about anesthetic

I can understand the sore throat since they put the breathing tube down your throat during surgery. Mine was very scratchy. I can also understand the wheezing in the chest. They want you to cough alot after surgery and my chest kinda rattled for about a week. I tried to cough, but it hurt.

I'm concerned about the chest pains. It might be a good idea to let your dr. know. I don't know what might cause it, but it wouldn't hurt to just let the dr. know.
Pam
Unread 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM

Blueridgeartist -- It's never a bad idea to call your doctor if you're in pain. Sometimes the irritation after intubation can make you cough for a while. (I had this problem after I had my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia in 1980!) Chest pain is always worth checking out; of course, it may just be muscle pain from coughing. At the very least, your doctor may want to prescribe something for your cough and make you more comfortable. It can't be fun to have a dry cough only a few days after a hysterectomy!

Best wishes,
Juliepede
Unread 05-03-2003, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the info and help. The chest pain is the kind that comes with bronchitus, right on top of the bhronchial tubes. Before i got these responses i looked up post op cough on goodle and found irritation of the airway in the lung can result from prolonged anesthesia, and I was under longer than I would have been since my uterus was so enlarged it had to be cut in pieces to be removed. That type of irritation is supposed to go away in four to five days, however, a call to my doc is what I need to do. Maybe she can fix me up with a cough suppressant I can take with these antibiotics, (that aren't supposed to be taken with cough suppressants). A sore belly and a cough aren't fun, but I have read about so many other complications on this board I think I am grateful that's all I have! Thank all you ladies so much for caring, sharing and helping!
Unread 05-04-2003, 07:53 AM

I had a bad cough soon after my hysterectomy and ended up with a hernia. Maybe I would have had a hernia anyway, but coughing sure didn't help the situation. I think it's important to try to control the cough. Also, although congestion is understandable, wheezing is something else. You could be reacting to one of the meds you're on.

Hope you're able to talk to your soon.
Unread 05-04-2003, 01:51 PM

Hi! Get thee to the doctor quickly. The chest pain may be something very serious, such as a blood clot. After surgery, and mors so after this type of surgery, they are a possible complication. This is not meant to frighten you, but, that can be life threatening. Please don't waste any time about this.

I had a niece who though it was just a little cough and chest pain, so she waited. It was a blood clot and it broke loose and traveled. By the time she got to the hospital, it was too late.

I would not want to assume it was just the intubation and have it turn out to be blood clots. You have to have x-ray or such to know for sure.

Let us know what you find out.
Unread 05-05-2003, 12:08 PM

I called doc yesterday, who said it was probably intubation irritation. She called in phenergan w/c. Cough got better yesterday and is gone today, in its place is really sore stomach from all the coughing. I don't know which is worse, being aware of the soreness or concentrating on not coughing.

Thanks for the answers and support. I am having a bad day today at six days out, but "tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow .... " Time for a nap!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.