preop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-05-2003, 01:25 PM
preop

I am a new member and enjoying this great web-site!!! My surgery is schedule for May 10th TAH/possible BSO. I welcome any advice. Any ideas on what the average hospital stay usually is? Also what type of clothing is most comfortable for returning home? Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2003, 01:31 PM
hello!

Welcome to this wonderful place!
I believe the average stay for a TAH is 2-4 days. depending on the extent of the work you're having done.
I find the MOST comfortable clothes post-op are drawstring pants, and slip-on shoes (so you don't have to bend down to tie them!)
Please ask LOTS of questions---that's what we're here for.
Looking forward to hearing about your recovery!
Unread 05-05-2003, 01:42 PM
preop

My first suggestion is to go the Hyster-Sister's calendar and enter your surgery date. Poor Cindyroo thinks she's the only one going to the Castle on a Saturday. You two are Castle-sisters!

I was surprised when the hospital called and told me to bring a robe and slippers. I'm not much of a robe & slippers gal so I didn't think of bringing them. I figured I'd grab an extra hospital gown, put it on backward (to cover the gap) and leave it at that. Now I have to look at my closet to think about this. Maybe I'll grab a big shirt out of hubby's closet.

As for going home clothes, I plan I wear VERY comfy stuff to the Castle then wearing the same stuff home. If I change my mind, hubby can always bring something from home.

Other women I've talked to who had abdominal surgery say they didn't like the feeling over anything binding around the middle. Whatever you select make sure it's loose and the fabric isn't very thick. I figure my fallback outfit is a big housedress that I can easily slip over my head. It isn't like we'll be making any big stops on the way home so it's just enough to get me into the car. I agree with the slip-on shoes but I always wear slip-ons so that's no big deal for me.

I'm not actually bringing anything to the hospital. I'm packing up a small bag then I'll have hubby bring it to me when I'm post recovery.

Don't bring any valuables!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi Meish,

I had a TAH last May and went in on a Thursday. I was released on that Sunday.

As for what to wear, I wore a loose jumper and slip-on shoes to and from the hospital. Some ladies wear sweat pants and a loose top. Slip-on shoes are great, because then you don't have to worry about trying to tie or buckle them.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery and lots of s,

Lisa
Unread 05-05-2003, 01:53 PM
preop

Meish,

Hepcat and semperfidelis are right. I had a TAH on Monday at 7:30 am and was home on Wed. at about 2:00 pm. My doctor said I could stay another day if I felt like I needed to, but I was ready to leave the castle. Definately a comfy nightshirt (make sure it's short, so you don't get tangled while in bed and easier for the doctors and nurses to check you).

I also packed a small bag and put it in DH's car and when I got to my room, he brought it up. I didn't use my robe because my nightshirt covered enough and I couldn't be bothered. I also took a tummy pillow for the ride home, they gave me one to use in the hospital. You'll need it for the coughing (or sneezing) it really helps.

Best of luck to you for a speedy recovery. You'll get great help and encouragement here!

BES
Unread 05-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Don't bring anything bulky

I wore a loose cotton top and elastic-waist loose sports pants to the castle. Definitely slip on shoes only. I wore clog slippers that have a sole that can go outside. Everything you wear will be folded and put in a plastic bag so you may want to make sure it will fit in one bag. I didn't feel like the elastic waist was uncomfortable as it was above my incision.

BTW, I found a baggie nightshirt to be good at the castle - no robe needed.
Unread 05-05-2003, 04:00 PM
preop

Pillows from my bed as I am one of the types that has to have at least 2 pillows to sleep, and maybe a quilt if the hosp will allow.
Petrolatum free lip balm because I heard oxygen reacts with the kinds that have petrolatum in them.
A few nightshirts in case one gets soiled, a sleep bra and bootie socks in case my feet get cold.
Comfy panties.. love pats brand are ugly but great for comfort.
Robe and slippers to walk the halls in, to get things moving gaswise.
A good book, Crosswords, Gossip mags and in case I get bored.
Hard candy for dry mouth
Slip on shoes
A pair of nurses 'scrubs' pants to come home in along with a soft comfy tshirt.
Lotion for itchy skin
And of course a brush, deodorant, my own soap (im allergic to most) and shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste and a few pads to make it home with if I need them.

I am not taking my purse but I am taking a small wallet with my insurance card, ID, and a few dollars in change in case I get a chocolate craving.

sounds like alot, but I like to be comfortable and have what I need, just in case I have to stay more than overnight. Im not taking anything of any value and no money except the change.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register