HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Support Underwear? Support Underwear?

Unread 05-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Support Underwear?

I am 8 wks post-op and returning to work tomorrow (May 12) - someone here mentionned that I try control underwear since my job is physically demanding. I bought a pair at Wal-Mart - they do help keep everything from around! But I find that as a couple of hours go by, I start to get sore and have a hard time sitting up straight!

The ones I bought said "firm control" - should I maybe buy some with less control? Any suggestions on which ones you all think are comfortable would be greatly appreciated!!!

Take Care,
Chantal
Unread 05-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Support Underwear?

Hiya

I have to be honest....I couldn't wear either the control panties OR the recommended tummy binder! Both left me feeling very "tight" and a little...constricted. I'm a big girl, and the tummy binder was made for us larger ladies, but it still felt far too constricting for me.

What I *did* find useful was wearing support/control top panty hose...maybe it's because the material was lighter, I don't know, but they seemed to provide a bit of support but without the tight feeling.

Brandwise, it didn't seem to matter to me..they all worked pretty much the same way!

Wishing you comfort very very soon

Blessings

Tess
Unread 05-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Support Underwear?

Hi Chantel
Part of my job role involves personal care - I have found that using a back support with velcro straps at the front (across my tummy which I could adjust) very helpful - made me feel supported both front and back - I have tried support pants, girdles, support tights with girdle type support, but these just felt to tight after awhile and made me feel sick. You may find them in a mobility shop or ask your chemist

Hope that helps
Unread 05-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Support Underwear?

I found a lighter support panty to be my favoite. I'm still wearing them 4 months post. They keep the swelly under control for me. I found mine at Kohl's. They are a nylon, lycra, with a cotton crotch mix from Barely There. Good luck at work.
Unread 05-11-2003, 05:27 PM
support underwear

I am 3 months post op and still wearing mine/ I find the lighter ones work best, not to tight , not to loose/ I have two favorite pairs and wash them out at night and wear them over and over.
What's a girl to do? works for me to keep me comfy and hopefully one day, I can retire them ... goodluck, I am finding it takes quite a while longer to heal than the dr said!! cfo
Unread 05-11-2003, 11:07 PM
YES!

Definitely the light support panties. I got mine at Walmart as well. They are not too tight, but they do take control of the jigglies. Things don't jiggle the way they do with regular panties when I wear the light support ones.
Unread 05-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Support Underwear?

I have found that the light support body/thigh/hip shaper ones with the boy style legs (they come down your thighs like shorts only snug) are the most comfortable for sitting..they come high so they dont "bind" across your stomach at the swelliest part and they dont cut into the crease of your legs or across your lower belly like I found the regular control top ones did. They seem to provide just enough support to keep me more comfortable. Good Luck!
Unread 05-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Thank You!

Thank you for the input! Fromw hat I gather, a light control would be better - I'm off to Wal-Mart tomorrow before work to find some!

By the way, today was my first day back - other than swelly belly, sore back and some stinging tonight - I feel pretty good! There was a collective "sigh" at work when I walked in this morning! I never thought they would miss me that much!!

Again, thanks and Take Care!
Chantal

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.