HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Tibolon/Liviella????? Tibolon/Liviella?????

Unread 05-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Tibolon/Liviella?????

Hi there.....

I am an American living in Germany and I have been thrown back into the hormone jungle. Apparently German is living in the stone age and they ONLY give estrogen to women (even hyster women in their 30's) because that's the "only safe" hormone to give women.

I went to a GYN to try and find a compounding pharmacy or some such way to get my testosterone cream refilled. My hubby and I were shocked to hear that this is an "estrogen only" country. We live in Hamburg, so it's not a small town- and this doc is highly recommended. We can't believe that thousands of women are in this country but not functioning as they should......

She drew blood to check my levels (fine with me, but I know that I have no energy and no desire for sex so I don't care what the levels are...) and suggested that I try Liviella (originally from Holland) which is Tibolon. I cannot find much out about it. She said it was a tablet containing estr/pro/test all in small (i.e. SAFE) amounts. I explained to her that when I take estrogen only I don't sleep due to horrible night sweats and hot flashes during the day --and I cried in her office thinking about having to back track after all my trials and errors.

Has anyone been on this? Does it exist in the States? Under what name? help! Any Germans out there getting other hormones? This feels like the dark ages and I thought I was already through with this....

Thanks!
Unread 05-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Tibolon/Liviella?????

Hi Anne! I'm sorry you're in a tough situation there. I can sure sympathize... if I couldn't get my testosterone cream I would be in a panic!

Tibolone is a synthetic which has estrogenic and androgenic properties, it's not really estrogen or testosterone or progesterone. It also has been shown to prevent bone loss. It basically mimics the action of a mixture of estrogen and androgens. It has shown a lot of promise for ladies who've had endo because it doesn't seem to encourage endo re-growth the way estrogen does.

Here's a link to a thread here about tibolone/Livial:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=89828

Hopefully some of the sites mentioned in there will have more information that you will find helpful.

Tibolone is just becoming available in the US now but it has been used in Europe (including the UK) and Australia for years. If you do a search on this site on 'tibolone' you will come up with some threads with members who are using it... you might want to private message one or two of them and ask them how they're doing on it.

I hope it will work out for you. Good luck!
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-17-2003, 03:10 AM
thanks

Linda-

Thanks for your help. I had tried a search under Tibolon and nothing came up - but now I know that in the US it has an "e" at the end. I had ovarian cancer and endo - but my adhesions were the worst problem, not the endo, so I don't think I'd necessarily need this drug. I am trying to keep to non-synthetics, too.

I'm off to read some posts, now. Thanks again.

Anne
cancer/endo/adhesions/nerve damage due to hyst
(7 operations.....)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.