HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lost alot of weight after surgery and lost appetite anyone else??? Lost alot of weight after surgery and lost appetite anyone else???

Unread 05-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Lost alot of weight after surgery and lost appetite anyone else???

After my surgery in March, and I mean after my surgery, I lost about 11 pounds in 4 days. I weighed 135 pounds pre-opt and post-opt I weighed about 124 ponds and I am wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.? I had a hysterectomy off my uterus and tubes and cervix but they left me my ovaries. I had to have the surgery because I had a few fibroids but one was as large, if not larger, than a grapefruit( doctors words.) I had had a d@c and a uterine biopsy and anything I could do to prevent this surgery but that only helped for a short while. Then had a period that never stopped I think I bleed for 4 months and finally decieded to go to the doctor. You think I would of lost weight because I was bleeding to death or something. But anyway here I am losing weight. I like it I am not complaining but just curious that's all.

Also my boss says I am not the same, of course I am not, but his wife had this surgery and he said, she says that I will be alittle "flaky" because my hormones are out of wack, they left me my hormones didn't they? I thought that if my ovaries were left that I would be fine with the hormone thing, anyway my boss is a flake himself. But I am very forgetful and walk around work lost sometime because I forget what I was doing before I may have been interupted. Help someone give me an answer to this deliema.....
Unread 05-17-2003, 11:17 AM

I have heard about weight loss post op on these boards before.

Also, I think you are describing "brain fog".

My best advice is to talk to your DR.

If you want to see that you are not the only one, do a search here. There is a *Search* button up above, next to the *Home* button. Click on it. Then type your keyword/s and select forum to be searched. I know you will find alot.
Unread 05-17-2003, 11:30 AM

I have heard from this site that even though you kept your ovaries you can still have some hormonal stuff happening post op. They say that sometimes your ovaries can shut down or go to "Sleep" because of the lack of blood flow to them during surgery and it can take a little while for them to waken up again. I know my hormones have been all whacky since surgery. But getting better!

I have lost weight as well. I started about 129 pre op and I am at 120, so 9lbs.

I also dont have as much an appetite as I had before. I think my stomach shrank while in the hospital. I dont eat as much as before.
Unread 05-17-2003, 12:02 PM
wendymae weight loss

Hi, Just had tah on april 29th, I also keep my ovaries. I am having a lot of brain fog, and I'm much more emotional. I thought that was not going to happen because I kept my ovaries. I hope it pass soon for you. I actually gained 4 pounds right after surgery but I am now down 10 pounds. I also have lost my appetite. I don't really ever get hungry, I have to remind myself to eat. And I love food. Right now though I can't even stand the thought of eating chocolate. I can assure you that is not the normal me. Let me know how you are doing with the weight loss and brain fog. I'd like to keep in touch. you can reach me at tinabelled@comcast.net. You take care of yourself.

Gentle Hugs,
Tina
Unread 05-17-2003, 03:50 PM
weight loss, too, and eyesight question

I, too, was up about 10 pounds the firt dy home fro surgery, but now I am down 3 from before I went in (that is, I gianed ten and lost 13 in @ 2 weeks' time!) My appetite is not the same. I eat, but not nearly as much and cannot finish portions I used to gobble up. No complaints, though, but I did have a lot of water and blood products due to complications and I also had two surgeries back-to-back, so I was thinking that may explain the brain fog.

Have any of you experienced trouble focusiing? My eyes are definitely not the same.

Hope the rest of recoveries are uneventful.
Unread 05-17-2003, 05:25 PM

I had a TAH on 5/6, and while I haven't weighed myself yet, I can tell I lost weight. I didn't even attempt solid foods until day 4, and I'm still eating very, very, very small portions. I have little appetite, and if I eat too much (and that's very relative compared to what I used to eat), the gas gets too bad. So I eat tiny portions every 3 hours or so during the day. Plus, they took out two fibroids -- one melon-sized, one grapefruit sized -- so I'll be interested in seeing how much all that weighed when I see the pathology report!

I'm glad -- I can stand to lose around 25 - 30 pounds, and getting back into the habit of numerous small meals throughout the day is a good one for me -- it's the only way I've managed to lose and keep weight off. For the past couple of years, though, I got into huge plates of food and could never get myself on the schedule of eating 5 - 6 small meals a day.
Unread 05-17-2003, 08:25 PM

Hi.

A few days after surgery, I weighed myself in the hospital and it looked like I gained almost 10 pounds! Frankly, though, I was retaining a lot of water (I assume from the saline drips) and the surgery itself made everything swollen.

I, too, had very little interest in food and once the swelling went away, found that I'd actually lost about 8+ pounds from before the surgery. I've had a hard time putting it back on (which really blows my mind)! I expect that over time, things will settle down and I'll gain that weight back. (I haven't been this weight since I was like 14 1/2!)

As far as being flaky, well, some would argue that I was flaky even before the surgery! I had a TAH BSO (they did take my ovaries) last month and so far, I don't notice that much of a difference. Of course, I'm recuperating and not doing anything too taxing on my brain or body these days! Oh, well, time will tell.

Good luck in your recovery.
Unread 05-17-2003, 08:29 PM

I didn't have a weight loss after my TAH, but did have one after a follow-up surgery for a fibroid. I lost 20 lbs in 10 days. My doctor was monitoring it, and it did level off finally.

I'm not sure what you describe is hormone related, but if it concerns you, a chat with your doctor would be appropriate. It could very well be related to anesthesia or medications you were on prior to surgery. As for your boss' comment. Yeesh! You are correct, with your ovaries left in, you should still be producing your hormones naturally. Even just one ovary functioning is enough to keep your body in balance.

Be patient, your body is still healing. But if something doesn't feel right to you, don't hesitate to call your doctor.

BSQ
Unread 05-17-2003, 10:46 PM

I'm five days post-op and I don't hardly feel like eating at all. It is probably the terribly painful gas I've been having. I eat and I feel so bloated. I just try to eat small portions many times a day. I weighed when I got home and it looked like I was down about 4 pounds and I'm hoping that once all the swelling goes down, I've lost more than that. What's weird is when I am hungry, nothing sounds good to me at all. Once this gas goes away, maybe things will get a little more back to normal.

Dina
Unread 05-18-2003, 12:03 AM

I'm with you, nothing sounds good, tho' I do eat cause I know I have too... stocked up on favs and don't really even want them, dh's cooking hasn't been very inspired which doesn't help but I am grateful he's so good and am not about to complain. When dd gets home Monday, I can tell her what to cook , would be too rude to dh... I don't know why it's different but it is.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.