HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Pre-op uterine biopsy? Pre-op uterine biopsy?

Unread 05-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

Hi Everyone, Is it common for a Dr. to order a uterine biopsy pre-op? My friend is scheduled for that painful deal and I didn't need one pre-op, so wondering if she really needs to go through this.

Thanks,
Kathy
Unread 05-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

Hi

A uterine biopsy isn't standard procedure before a hysterectomy. However, if there is a suspicion of cancer a might want to have a heads up. The procedure isn't really all that painful. At least the times I had it done it was bad cramping which stopped pretty much as soon as the short procedure was done.
Unread 05-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

There are various reasons to do a uterine biopsy, depending on what the DR is looking for. The only way to know the answer in your friend's case is for her to ask her DR.

The first time I had a uterine biopsy, I was trying to get my hormones working right so I could have a baby.

Before my hyster, 20 years later, my DR did a uterine biopsy because she was gathering evidence as to the possible presence of cancer. I'm sure this is NOT the only reason to do a biopsy pre hyster.

Post menopause cysts, the size of mine, are 25% more likely to be cancerous. Added to that was the increased risk because the cyst showed some complexity. If there was cancer it could have spread and she was looking for clues. She also did a blood test called C-125 (I think that is the name of it.) for the same purpose.

I hope all goes well for your friend.

btw- Pre-menopause cysts are more normal than post menopause cysts, as they occur when the egg breaks out of the ovary.
Unread 05-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

I have had the endometrial biopsy three times I think and it was not that painful...the anticipation was the worst part!!!! The next day it hurt a little more than when it was actually done. Not that bad. If it yields important info, its worth it.

Mary W
Unread 05-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

I too had the biopsy. My wanted to do a hyst.
as a last resort. She was checking for cancer. Really
the waiting was way worse than the actual biopsy.
I took my mom for moral support. I also followed my
docs. instructions and took Ibuprfen before I left the
house. I really had no pain or bleeding after words.

Penny
TAH
5/7/03
for fibroids
Unread 05-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

Hi

My doc does did a uterine biopsy for me, because I had DUB (dysfunctional uterine bleeding) - if this is a reason for your hyst, then it's probably good sense to go ahead and have the biopsy, because the results will affect what kind of surgery, and how extensive it might be.

It's a very quick procedure, usually - it can be a bit painful (mine was), but they generally advise you to take 800mg of motrin before you go in, and this usually takes the edge off it. Peace of mind is often worth the relatively short period of pain though

All in all, I'd probably be supportive of any doc who wants to do this before the op itself - it just seems to be a common sense idea for you and your doctor to know what you're up against before you actually get into that gorgeous gown for the hyst itself!

Many warm wishes, and best of luck

Tess
Unread 05-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

I had so many tests before my hyst. Of course, I ended up going through three gynecologists. I had the biopsy as well. Wasn't fun but wasn't horrible either. Got to see it all on the monitor. In color...not like the ultrasound which looked like a movie of the titanic under the sea! I didn't take long and I just cramped a bit for a half hour and then it was over. The biopsy, in fact, was the worst thing I went through in the whole process. Not bad.
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

My DR wanted to do a biopsy and I refused. The test results wouldn't have made a difference. I would still want the hyst.

I told her, "When my uterus is out of my body and in your hands, you can biopsy the thing to shreads. In the meantime, I'm not putting up with anymore tests."
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:28 AM
Pre-op uterine biopsy?

I had a biopsy several years ago when I first started having some irregularities and that gyn flat out asked me if I wanted a hyst and I said I would like to try other things first so part of that was the biopsy. At that point it was normal. Several years later and I am now on meds to treat PCOS and now have regular periods that turn heavy and painful. One of the risks of untreated PCOS is endometiral cancer but I am thinking fibroids from the symptoms. Went to new gyn. She did a biopsy....some cramping right at time of biopsy and very mild afterwards..nothing like what I had been going through so that was a piece of cake compared to my periods. She also scheduled me for an ultrasound to rule out fibroids (which she thought she could feel on exam). Well, the results came back from the biopsy atypical hyperplasia - precancerous cells, with possible focal (cancerous) cells. I never did have the ultrasound, that diagnosis immediately meant hysterectomy. And I did have endometrial cancer, but no spread to the lymph nodes. That biopsy was well worth it, it caught it before it spread.

I guess it really must depend on each persons history and maybe part of a workup for unexplained heavy or irregular uterine bleeding. Unless you already know that your friend is being worked up for something else like endometriosis, ovarian or cervical problems where they plan to take the uterus out anyway, no matter what a biopsy would show, I would say go ahead. It really isn't that much of an ordeal, have her take the ibuprofen before and for the next 24 hours probably (if ok with her doctor). This is again something that the anticipation is worse than the actual test and the peace of mind is worth it.

She can always get a second opinion also.
Unread 05-22-2003, 09:38 AM
pre op uterine biopsy

Kathy,

I had a biopsy performed yesterday. It really wasn't too bad, I took motrin 30 min before the procedure. My gyn just wants to make sure there is nothing elso before the hysterectomy. I have had heavy and frequent bleeding also have had some spotting after intercourse. I am glad that she is doing this because that way we can rule out cancer.

Chanel

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.