HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does a vaginal hysterectomy affect orgasm? Does a vaginal hysterectomy affect orgasm?

Unread 05-20-2003, 11:44 PM
Does a vaginal hysterectomy affect orgasm?

OK ... I'll admit it, this is my BIG question when the various options have been presented to me. I delivered two rather large babies vaginally many years ago, but have always been ... well ... extremely responsive sexually.

I worry that a vaginal hysterectomy might damage all those nerve endings that have supplied me with the ability to feel so much pleasure.

I have not discussed this with my favorite sex partner, but he is very supportive of whatever it takes to get through this phase. Can any of you who have had vaginal hysterectomies comment on your post-op sexual response? I would like to give up the heavy bleeding and the constant ache ... but I don't want to give up those Os if I have a choice!
Unread 05-21-2003, 12:41 AM

i had a tvh/b.repair on the 20/02..... i can tell you from my own experience..... sex is fantastic....... if anything it is better.... i have no pain or dryness... i was terrified to try it after the op and waited until i was 9 weeks post op.... my dh and i both cried when we tried for the first time.. me because i was scared things wouldn't be the same and dh because he was scared of hurting me.... but... all went well... i had no discomfort and it was brilliant.... i felt so relieved..... life is great...... i wish you well... mary. xx
Unread 05-21-2003, 03:38 AM

I too had a TVH (3-24-03). I've not had any problems it is even better - no pain or bleeding. DH was a little worried that he would hurt me but there was no pain - just pleasure. We tried it the same day the DR said I was released.
Unread 05-21-2003, 05:02 AM

Hi MessyMe ,

I had a TVH with repairs for a cystocele and a rectocele, and, like teenyween, once I was completely healed from the repair work, I found that there was no difference. In fact, because I am no longer in pain and discomfort, it has been better.

Have you asked your doctor what the chance is of nerve damage iwhen a hyst is done vaginally?

I just read your first post (sorry that I missed it earlier) and since you mentioned that you are still in the decision making stage, would like to suggest that you visit our Options and Alternatives Forum (click here) too, where you'll find posts from others who are also still researching and deciding.

I wish you the best as you continue to read, research and make your decision. Please let us know what you find out from your doctor.

s
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:40 AM

Vaginal hysterectomy means you can't conserve the cervix and some women feel that this detracts from their ability to orgasm post op. This was the thing that worried me the most about my surgery when I was pre op but when I weighed it up I found that my sex life was non existant anyway due to my uterine ailments and severe anaemia and I was really down to my last option in having the surgery because I'd become so ill.

Post op we waited until just under the 6 week mark and were thrilled to find that sex was better than ever. I must admit it takes longer for me to get to orgasm but when I get there it's far more intense and long lasting than it was pre op. I had an LAVH which means I lost my cervix as well but haven't had a single negative experience sexually - except for the fact that my libido is now alot stronger than dh's and I wish he'd catch up

Another factor you may need to be aware of is hormonal fluctuations affecting sex drive and function - I've heard of women have a lower sex drive because of too much/ not enough of certain hormones although I haven't had that experience.
Unread 05-21-2003, 09:40 AM
This is great, thank you

Thanks so much to all of you who responded.

Though I'm in peri-menopause and had to stop HRT (I had the Combi-Patch) during my last excessive bleeding episode, I have not had any drop in libido. It helps that I am blessed with an amazing partner, I'm sure. Sex is an important method of communication in this relationship, and my biggest fear is doing something that would negatively affect that part of my life.

That probably sounds stupid, but there it is.

I appreciate having this forum to discuss these issues.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.