HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long is hospital stay, abdominal hysterectomy?  General or epi? How long is hospital stay, abdominal hysterectomy? General or epi?

Unread 05-21-2003, 12:49 PM
How long is hospital stay, abdominal hysterectomy? General or epi?

I'm new here, and not alot of computer experience, except for email, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing, but I think I've got it figured out. I've already posted one new thread when I thought of another question. How long do you have to stay in hospital? I'm also debating over general or epi. I've had ga 3 times and each time woke up so so so sick! Throwing up so bad, I don't even remember the days following. I've had one epidural which was not a good experience for me because the A got called away for an emergency And my epi wore off during hard, induced labor which ended in an emergency c section anyway. I've also had 2 spinals and they were ok, except I guess I probably can't have that because they wear off. My preop is June 12 and my surgery is June 16. I probably should have asked my Dr. more at my appointment yesterday but of course at the time I didn't have any questions!
I also have a severe problem with depression for which I've been on every med out there. Right now I'm doing ok and stable on Nortrip but worry about depression after surgery which i know is common. I also just quit my job(long story) but am also worried about my depression now that I'm home.

More scared of depression than surgery,
Julie
Unread 05-21-2003, 01:54 PM

Hi Julie,

I'm glad you found this site out! You wanted to know how long your hospital stay will be - well some of that is due to your insurance and some is due to your preference. I stayed in for 3 days, but I know of folks who stayed anywhere from 2 - 6 days.

Whether or not you have a general or an epi is your personal decision. I've had both , like you have, and I chose for this surgery to have a general because the A-doc assured me I would not wake up throwing up. He did a great job! Other folks have had epi's and done great too!. It's really your choice.

As far as having more questions to ask your doc, call him/her and ask those questions - you should get all of your questions answered!!!!!

Julie, I have also suffered from Depression for many years and have been on Serzone plus a couple other meds to help me through the hard times. This surgery did not really effect my depression. When I discussed this with my therapist, she said that if anything happens to make me feel worse it probably will be due to the loss of hormones. I shared this with my og/gyn onocologist and he put me on Premarin and I have been doing very well.

I'm sending you a big Feel free to PM or email me - you can find my address in the profile below.

Hang in there big time!!!!!!1

Patty
Unread 05-21-2003, 01:57 PM

Hi Julie
I had my tah bso on april 23rd and got out on the 25th, I have always got pucky sick after anethesia but last 2 surgeries I told them when I did my pre op and they gave me something to help with it before surgury and no throwing up. and they will ask what kind of meds you are taking when you do pre op if they don't you should tell them. I'm like you I never ask enough ?'s allways think of 10 things afterwards I should of asked. I have anxiety attacks my doc put me on paxil but it made me sick to my stomach couldn't take them. I really can't tell any difference now than before my surgery and I'm not taking any hrt, good luck and hope all goe's A-ok for you.
Vickie
Unread 05-21-2003, 04:16 PM

Hi Julie:
I just had an abdominal hyst. Monday 5/12. (Just uterus, not ovaries.) I was in the hospital for just 2 nights. The Wednesday i came home was pretty rough but since then i've been doing well. I started driving on monday 5/19 and even went to the grocery store yesterday, although the grocery store may have been a bit much, because I'm tired today!

My doctor strongly advised me to go with the local anesthestic (spinal block) and i'm glad i listened to her. She said the recovery is so much better than with the general. They do put you out, by the way, you're still asleep when they do the surgery but you breathw on your own. I had some slight nausea the night after surgery but never threw up.

Had my staples out Friday. (didn't hurt.) I see her again end of May.

i am experiencing the 'swelly belly' everybody keeps talking about (what a cute name for a truly unattractive thing!) but I know that's just fluid build up that will eventually go away. In fact it gets a lot better when I sleep.

After reading some of these posts, I feel really lucky that my surgery went so well. I'm sure you'll do well also.
Hope this helps!
Unread 05-21-2003, 05:26 PM
How long is hospital stay?

Hi Julie,

Glad you found this site...it was a God send for me. I had a TAH/w/1 ovary removed on 5/8/03. I was able to go home on May 11th - 3 days. I begged the doc to let me out on the 10th but he said he would rather play it safe even though I looked great.

A bit of advice though...on the 10th & 11th in the castle, I tried to pretend that my body was I fine. I was even bending over and swaping phone lines with my roommate because my phone was broken! Needless to say, when I came home on the 11th, I was in more pain than I had been in the castle. The pain continued for the 11th, 12th & 13th. It finally ended around 1030pm on 5/13/03. Remember not to overdo it! I still have not driven because my doc says not until 3 wks postop. I decided to try and heal properly this time and give my body the rest it needs. My belly is still tender, I get wore out if I don't rest and I still need some advil or pain meds if I overdo it.

Good luck and as far as anthes...I went with general. The anthes doc did a great job of giving me anti nausea meds...I did not get sick at all.
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:22 PM

Hi all! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and reply. It meant so much to me. I'm feeling much better about the anethesia. i was so worried about that, more than I think about the actual surgery. I do feel kind of stupid though. I don't know what all these abbreviations stand for, tah and bso. I've never talked to anyone on the computer before except emailing my friends and I think I could really get to like this. Thanks again.
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey Julie..we share the same date

Good and Bad
I going to ask for a spinal/epi . TAH - total abdominal hyster
BSO- (i think ) both sides ovary removal
This is a wonderful site and you will find lots of answer and support Welcome (lady in waiting)
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:14 PM
go to this thread...it has info for newbi

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=102240
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:21 PM

Hi

Welcome to HysterSisters! There's tons of advice, info, support, and s when you need them.

Here is a link to the Abbreviations used on this site.

Sometimes with an abdominal hyst you don't have a choice. Not all DR's give you a choice, some will only do an abdominal with a general. I didn't have a choice, had to be a general. I didn't have any problems with nausea this time, in the past I have though. Tell the anesthesiologist your concerns and they will put something in your IV to help.

Best wishes!
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:34 PM

JMJH, good luck with your hyster. I am four weeks post-op (TAH/BSO 4-23-03) and I followed doctor's instructions. He would have let me go in 48 hours, but I hadn't eaten anything and was worried about that, not like me to miss a meal! I left in the morning and was in better shape than I expected, getting in and out of bed and sleeping on my back were the worst parts. Took the percoset prescribed and I still take one now and then if I have pain at night. I had GA and usually get ill, but only had nausea! Had a morphine pump for the first night and gas the second day (the percoset actually helped relieve the gas pains!). I waited three weeks to drive, feeling good and will return to work next Tuesday after a clear checkup yesterday. I didn't start HRT until last week and did not have a depressive period which I expected since I was home by myself A LOT. (My kids are in college and junior in high school and all work, DH works a pit crew for a sprint car and isn't home at all on the weekends and didn't even take one day off). I watched a lot of TV for companionship and Dr. Phil and Oprah were particularly inspriring in keeping a positive attitude and not feeling sorry for myself. I recommend laying out your meds so you don't forget what you have/have not taken the first few days, if you rest as much as you should I felt confused about what time I was taking things and you don't want to miss your anti-depressants! You need to take care of yourself!!! Good luck and you'll see many stories, good and bad here. I didn't find the site until after my surgery, was looking to make sure I was ok, didn't really need to call the doc because of the reassurance I found here!

Again, good luck and remain calm!

Mary

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway