HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bladder suspension too! Bladder suspension too!

Unread 05-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Bladder suspension too!

I have heard that recovery is more intense than the hysterectomy? I plan on keeping kids this summer. All over the age of 7. I am only taking one week off is this realistic?
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Bladder suspension too!

I had that one done...two weeks I was fine...I am having it done again (with hysterectomy) since it didn't hold the first time...I am looking forward to hell....
Unread 05-22-2003, 04:42 AM
Bladder suspension too!

I take it from your post that you are having a hysterectomy also ("bladder suspension TOO"). First off, yes 1 week is very unrealistic. The normal recovery time/off work is 6 to 8 weeks. And then when women go back to work they are very tired for the first week or so. It can take up to 6-8 months to really feel like yourself again. When you have a hysterctomy there is a lot of reconstruction inside. Ther are hundred's of internal sutures and alot of healing that needs to be done. If you do too much too soon you comprimise that healing and can develop adhesions or with a bladder suspension, undo the work that was done. At first even sitting too long is too much activity. You will have strict instrcutions and restrictions on what you can and can't do. For instance, no lifting anythingheavier than a gallon of milk..for up to 6 weeks, or pushing a shopping cart or lifting a child. Your doctor will give you the go ahead when he feels you are ready.

I suggest you go to these pages (the links are below) that have some great articles for preop and post op hints. Both will give you invaluable information. If your surgery isn't for a month or so I highly suggest you order the book available at the store here titled "The Journey Through the Land of Hyster". It is a wonderful resource pre and post op and answers all those little questions that will come up along the way.

pre op:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

post op:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=171

I don't know how much more intense having a bladder suspension is since I haven't had one but a lot of women who have this go home with a catheter for a few days to a week or two. This really doesn't slow them down that much from what I have read compared to the regular hysts, hopefully someone who has had one will help you more there. If you also have posterior repair done, that can slow you down more than just a hyst as you have incisions in the perineum (between vagainl and rectal area) to heal also and sitz baths help with this.

You could also do a search on Bladder suspensions and how long whould I take off work and find more info that way too.

Please please please be kind to yourself and not expect to be back to work right away. It just doesn't work.

Hugs,

Linda >^..^<
Unread 05-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Bladder suspension too!

(((kdcase)))

Welcome you to Hyster Sisters!! Linda has given you some excellent advice and I hope that you will be sure to read the pre-op and post-op articles that her links will take you to.

Please talk to your doctor about your expected recovery time. I didn't go back to work until 5 1/2 weeks post-op, and even that was a little bit too soon. A hysterectomy is major surgery, and you've got only one chance to heal properly. I know you don't want to jeopardize your future good health by doing too much too soon.

(((amephd42)))

I noticed that this is your first Hyster Sister post, too, and want to welcome you, also. (Please go back into your control panel and add your surgery date so you'll be on our calendar and will receive a special greeting from HS).

I'm sorry that you are having to have the bladder suspension done again. I wonder if it's possible that it didn't hold because, although you felt great after a couple of weeks, internally things were still healing?

And please be sure to talk to your doctor about pain management. I can honestly say that I was not ever in any pain that wasn't controlled by the pain meds that I had. I had general anesthesia followed by a morphine drip in the hospital, and came home with prescriptions for pain meds, which worked, as long as I took them on time. I hope you'll find this to be true for you this time.

I also can't emphasize too often or too strongly how important it is to allow our bodies time to heal. I wish you both the very best, and encourage you to continue to read, research and post any questions that you may have.

's

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway