HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Dryness Remedy For No Estrogen Vaginal Dryness Remedy For No Estrogen

Unread 05-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Vaginal Dryness Remedy For No Estrogen

Hi sisters,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they use for vaginal dryness if they are not allowed to use estrogen for endo reasons.

I have heard about the estrogen creams, but I'm afraid to try those if I am not allowed to use estrogen because of endo.

I'm also concerned about atrophy and shrinkage. I DON'T want that to happen. I only have to be estrogen free for six months.

My doc told me to use sunflower oil, but I don't know if that will help with atrophy or shrinkage. Has anyone ever used sunflower oil?

Thanks
Unread 05-29-2003, 01:30 PM

Hey meanie,

Some women use vitamin E capsules on a daily basis, I think.

I don't know if they break the capsules open or insert whole and then the outer casing dissolves? Hopefully someone who has done that will come along. Maybe either way would work??

Also, inviting an otc product like astro-glide or ky into your bedroom helps...

Good luck meanie.

Whenever I see your name I think of a a line from the movie "Annie". Miss Hannegan sings "don't be so mean, you mean old meanie" and I always think of that when I see you!
Unread 05-29-2003, 02:18 PM

In the past I have used Aloe...not the kind one uses for sunburns as this usually has extra ingredients...Look for one that doesn't contain lidocane they can usually be bought overthe counter at your local drugstore. Or invest in a couple of Aloe plants. Of course there is also vaseline but I don't care for it. Aloe works for me.
Unread 05-29-2003, 05:44 PM

xenapaw,

I remember that part! I used to watch that movie all the time. I love the look on her drunken face when she's singing that line and trying to seduce Daddy Warbucks. My 5-year-old started calling me that when the endo started messing with my hormones. Yell enough and they will start to give you new names.

C_53,

I will try the aloe vera, but what about vaginal atrophy? Will the aloe prevent that as well? I don't want to worry about atrophy, because I am worried that I won't be able to fix it, if it happens. Thank you for your responses!
Unread 05-30-2003, 08:14 AM

I use Vagifem. This is estrogen. The dose of estrogen is so small and the vagina seems to absorb it and keep most of the estrogen out of your system. The endo did not come back from using this product.
Unread 05-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Thanks

I'm gonna talk to my doc about this and see if he can't give me something for the dryness.
Unread 05-31-2003, 11:54 AM
flaxseed oil

Hi--
Taking flaxseed oil on a daily basis has really helped the vaginal dryness for me It seems to help skin dryness everywhere...the health store in my area recommended a tablespoon per day.
God bless..
<KathyLynne
Unread 06-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Kathy

I was gonna take flax seeds (ground up). Will I get the same benefit if I take the oil instead? Would I get help with the dryness if I took the ground flax seeds?
Unread 06-01-2003, 05:45 PM

Hi..
I am not certain about that one. I haven't taken the ground flaxseed, but from what I have heard, taking the ground up kind is beneficial for digestion, so I would think that you still get the benefit of the oil in the flaxseed. But as to how much would equal a tablespoon, I don't know that either sorry!

Sounds like the ground up flaxseed has even more benefits than just taking the oil itself!

<<KathyLynne
Unread 06-03-2003, 05:39 PM
flax info

This is the response I got when I asked about how much groud flax seed to use instead of the flax oil... hope it helps you

Dear Elaine,
Your question about flaxseed was referred to me by the Flax Council of Canada. I am a registered dietitian who writes general and technical articles for the Council.

Flax oil capsules are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Ground flaxseed also contains this omega-3 fatty acid, in addition to fibre and the lignans, which are phytoestrogens and antioxidants. The oil does not contain fibre or lignans. In my opinion, you get far more bang for your buck by eating ground flax rather than taking capsules. Plus, flax seeds are far less expensive than capsules.

Most flaxseed oil capsules provide about 1 gram of flaxseed oil. How much do you need? To meet your requirement for alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the essential omega-3 fatty acid, you only need to consume 1.1-1.6 grams of AL:A daily. One tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides 1.8 grams ALA. One-half teaspoon of flaxseed oil provides 1.3 g ALA. You would have to take 2-3 capsules to get the same amount of ALA found in 1 tbsp of ground flax.

The bottom line: By eating ground flax, you get the ALA, the dietary fibre and the lignans, which are phytoestrogens and antioxidants. Incidentally, we recommend eating ground flax over the whole seeds. Unless you chew well to shred the seed coat, most seeds will pass through your GI tract undigested. Whole seeds are great to use occasionally on salads, in breads, etc. But for regular, daily consumption, you can digest ground flax far better and get more flax "goodies."

I hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Diane

Diane H. Morris, PhD, RD
Mainstream Nutrition

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.