HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Prolapsed uterus -should I have surgery? Prolapsed uterus -should I have surgery?

Unread 05-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Prolapsed uterus -should I have surgery?

My uterus began to prolapse about 4-5 years ago when I was 51. My doctor told me then that eventually I would need a hyst. Each year my uterus has dropped lower and lower and is in my vagina, but not out of it yet. My last period was in November of 2002, so I think I am in menopause. Last month, there was one day when my uterus actually started to come out of my vagina a little bit. I spotted for a few days and then it went back up. I know that I cannot tolerate having it out of my vagina. But, I have no other symptoms (no back pain, feelings of pressure, pain during intercourse.) I will see my doctor this week.

Here's my question and I hope you great ladies can help me. What happens if I wait? Will it just fall out one day? Is surgery worse or with more complications if I wait?
Unread 05-31-2003, 04:23 PM

Hi cathy,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I am glad that you found us and posted to introduce yourself. I had my hysterectomy for prolapses of the uterus, bladder and bowel. In my case, I also waited a quite awhile before deciding to go ahead with the surgery. I kept on hoping it wouldn't get any worse, but it gradually did, and because my uterus was prolapsing, it was also placing pressure on my bladder, which may have contributed to my bladder prolapse, and my back aches and pressure gradually became more and more noticable.

I can't advise you whether to have a hysterectomy at this point, of course - only your doctor and you can make that decision, based upon your own medical history. Please keep on reading and researching, and be sure to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

's
Unread 05-31-2003, 04:40 PM

Hi Cathy,

I didn't have prolapse, but here is a link to the resources area of Hystersisters ... this will provide you with links to a number of other websites with specific information about prolapse. Maybe this will help you evaluate your options for treatment.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=76074

It sounds like your prolapse must be pretty uncomfortable. I hope that your next gyn appointment goes well and that you can come up with a good treatment plan. Sending gentle hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 06-01-2003, 12:02 AM

Dear Cathy,

I had prolapse also. My options were: 1) do nothing; 2) have resuspension surgery; 3) wear a pessary; or 4) have a vaginal hysterectomy.

It's my understanding that with the onset of menopause, the uterus may shrink, which could make your prolapse even more pronounced. Gravity & age are working against you also

I didn't have any pain with my prolapse, but my frequent UTI's and constipation seem to have disappeared since the hyst. 85% of hysterectomies are done for quality of life reasons, not to save a life. Only YOU must live with the pre-op symptoms and the post-op results (good or bad).

Good luck on your research. Get smart about your symptoms & your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-01-2003, 08:03 PM

Dear Karen, Beth and Twyla,

Thank you so much for writing to me. It means so much to know that there is support out there!

I am taking your advice and doing as much research as I can.
I'll be in touch.

Sincerely,
Cathy
Unread 06-05-2003, 09:00 AM
prolapse

I had mine due to my cervix coming out of my vagina. It started when I was pregnant and didn't get any better after delivery. I was not a candidate for suspension surgery because I bleed easily and a lot. I also wanted to have another baby and was told the suspension probably would not hold durring pregnancy and a would probably have a preemie...around 25 weeks or so. I did not want to risk that...besides, the recovery for a suspension was a lot longer and a lot more painful. I was able to have my hysterectomy vaginally....so no scars or anything. I went through with the operation to improve my quality of life. I could not lift my three year old, stand at my daughter;s soccer game, stand up for the Easter Egg hunt, stand up at church and sing or anything because at any given time my uterus would just drop. I tried wearing a pessary but even that would get pushed out. I do have moments when I regret my decision....I think some women just do wish for what might have been. I am 31 years old...sometimes it doesn't seem fair but I know I have been blessed to have children and not to suffer the physical pain that many women on here have. I did not have any pain...only prolapse. I did not want to risk it getting worse. I am three weeks post op and am doing very well physically....no pain...only a little tiredness but emotionally I am on a rollercoaster. My ovaries stopped working so I have to take HRT until they kick back in (if they ever do). I wish you the best of luck with your decision...I know it is very difficult because it is so final. My docter told me....no uterus transplants...once it is gone...you will never be able to get another one.
Unread 06-05-2003, 07:18 PM

Dear KDJay,

Thanks for replying to my post. I am glad that your surgery went well and that you are recovering nicely. I hope that your ovaries kick in soon and that you feel better.

My doctor said at my visit last night, that he will try to fit me for a pessary. Maybe it will work for me. If not, I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Keep in touch.

Cathymagnolia

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.