open incision from a TAH | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

open incision from a TAH open incision from a TAH

Unread 06-01-2003, 05:28 PM
open incision from a TAH

I am in my 3rd week TAH post op. Your web site is fantasitic! I learned so much from reading the other members concerns. Things my Dr. neglected to tell me. I have not run across my problem though. My incision from my surgery only closed half way. They removed my staples and I looked down and there staring back at me was part of a filet Mignon. The left side is closed and the middle and right are open. Now, I have had 3 c-sections and I know what a healthy normal bikini cut looks like. They said it probably had a lot of fluid built up and it popped open the staples. Anyone ever hear of that? So for the next 2 weeks my DH had to pack the site twice a day. You talk about a trooper! He did a great job and we have no infection. Now at 3 weeks the Dr. says leave all packing out and try not to cover it unless you really need to. The air needs to get to it. Well it is truely a grusome site but as far as I can tell and smell it's not infected yet. I think besides this my reocovery is average, pain and exhaustion to be expected, definately not on my time table but normal. Now here is my question the Dr. has no intention of sewing it back up She said I may need plastic surgery later. I know it is going to look like a war zone down there but I was wondering if anyone else had this complication and what their road to healing was like.

Thanks to any replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2003, 06:14 PM
open incision from a TAH

Hi! Wow! I am sorry to hear you have had such a problem with your incision. I would tell the doctor you are not happy, not satisfied, and will not accept this, and want the referral to the plastic surgeon. That seems crazy they expect you to accept that. Even if the surgeon tells you he has to wait until you are more healed, you will at least know where you stand and get an estimated time frame.

Mary W
Good luck!
Adeno, fibroids, enlarged uterus, no endo this time (lasered out 8yrs. ago)
Unread 06-01-2003, 10:50 PM
TAH incision

Wow! I can't believe that with the many sisters who peruse this site that I am the only one with this complication (released from hospital with an open incision.) Makes me wonder if something went wrong. I probably will contact a plastic surgeon but only after it heals all of the way. Has anyone out there gotten a second Dr.'s opinion of thier surgery this soon post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2003, 04:45 AM
open incision from a TAH

Hi, Many members have reported that their incisions have opened and needed to be packed. Go to the top of any page here on the website and click "Search". Type in the keywords "packing incision" or "open incision". I did that, and it brought up quite a few posts that you might find interesting.
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:16 AM
open incision from a TAH

Part of my incision came open when the staples were removed on the 7th day, and it freaked me out. The nurse taped it closed with lots of steristrips, and left the staples in a 4 inch section of the incision. I was told to come back in 3 days. By then I was getting blisters from the steristrips and one part of the incision where it had been open was not matched up evenly, leaving a small ridge of raw flesh sticking up. The nurse did a swab just to make sure there was no infection. I did not have any packing for this. She gave me some extra steristrips to take home, but I couldn't leave them on for more than a day without getting more blisters. What I did was get some butterfly closures from the drugstore and put a couple of them over the worst part each day after my shower. They did not give me blisters and I felt much better having something holding it for a few days because I was really afraid it would split open again.

Surprisingly, the incision has healed quite well. The ridge has almost flattened out and the scar it just a bit wider in that section, but looks much better than I thought it would.
Unread 06-02-2003, 08:10 AM
open incision from a TAH

Thank you for your responses, I will definately do a search at the top of the page and I will talk to my Dr. on Thursday about those butterfly strips. It is a little unnerving walking around without any support. I know my guts won't fall out (that's what my Dr. told me.) but the peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold.

Thank you again
Unread 06-02-2003, 02:02 PM
open incisions

You aren't the only one...I read about others having this problem when I found this site. Many were due to seromas or hematomas, so you might want to search those as well. Mine came open just over 2 weeks after my hyst. I probably would have panicked had I not read about it here first. I had a seroma up around navel level and it had made a track down to a weak point in my incision and opened it up. I was given a choice of packing it or using a hand held shower massage on pulse on it 3 times a day. I did the shower massage. After it closed up, it sort of sunk in the very center so that it looks like I have a small hole, but it is closed down in there.

Some of the other ladies went to wound care centers. We don't have anything like that here, but you might want to look into that.
Unread 06-07-2003, 09:25 PM
open incision from a TAH

Hey Softball,
Finally someone who had the same problem as myself. I had TAH/BSO on 12 May. On 17 May the incision started to bleed profusely and after a trip to the ER, they told me to see my surgeon the next day. On May 18 the surgeon opened the incision completely because of a build up of blood and fluid. Since then I have been packing it everyday. The incsion was originally about 6 inches wide by 2 inches deep and very grotesque. It has been healing nicely according to the DR who I have been seeing about once a week. It has extended my time off from work by two weeks so far. It is a pain but I am assured it will heal completely. The question I keep asking is when? The doctor always says it will take a long time but how long is that exactly?
Hope you feel better soon and that everything heals nicely. Thanks for sharing this post...I was wondering if there was anyone else out there.
Unread 06-09-2003, 05:34 AM
open incision from a TAH

Thank you for your reply Msliz. It sounds like yours may have been a bit more severe than mine. According to my DR she said the site should be fully closed by 8 weeks. And can start excersing and doing normal things. How is yours healing now? I find that in the morning I feel great (I try not to overdo) but then by 12:00, my belly is swollen and I am hurting again. I wore a tight pair of briefs yesterday for the first time and found that helped my belly not bounce around so much. Are you experienceing uncontrol leaky urination? I am. I saw a comercial on T.V. yesterday for poise panty liners that are suppose to help in these type of circumstances. I thought what great timing. But then I realized they were probably always advertised but I had no reason to take note. I asked my DR about the bladder control issue and she said that my prevoius c-sections (3) scartissue had adheared to my bladder. so some of the baldder's nerves may not be up to par yet. She felt certain that it will clear up she told my to do keggle exercises I was way ahead of her though. I will have to admit that little by little (very) it is getting better. I try to keep a positive attitude and remember what I felt like last week to keep a smile on my face. I still feel numbness in my left leg are you experiencing this also? I was told this is due to the position we are put in during surgery. It took 2 hours that is amazing to me! I should get full feeling in two more weeks, if not my DR told me to let her know. My DR also told me I was allowed to swim but no baths. She said the chlorine would do wonders for the incision. Not sure I'm up to putting on the suit though.
I hope your recovery is going well. Thanks again for the reply!
Unread 06-11-2003, 05:57 PM
open incision from a TAH

Hey Softball,
My incision is healing slowly...still about 3/4 to an inch deep. I never had any problems with numbness in my legs, just my abdomen above the incision. Those poise panty liners are just wonderful as I too have a leaky bladder. The doctor said it should go away but if it doesn't he will give me some detrol...for overactive bladder. I can't believe that swimming would be good for the incision but I don't have a medical license so I don't know...seems like chlorine would really burn when it hits that raw incision. No baths for me either and it is amazing how much you miss bubble baths when you can't take one. Hope you are doing well and keep us informed of your recovery.
Liz

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register