HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Did you ever take estrogen and stop due to hair falling out? Did you ever take estrogen and stop due to hair falling out?

Unread 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Did you ever take estrogen and stop due to hair falling out?

I'm thinking about stopping estrogen hrt because of this. If you were on estrogen and hair falling :Hair: out on it and it stopped when you got off I would appreciate your reply. Thanks so much.

s
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:34 AM

Hi, I had a Total hyster 3 and 1/2 years ago. I was taken off premarin in september and started estradial in October. I have had alot of anxious moments, temper outbursts but lately my hair is falling out. I am going to my general doctor today because of it, I must have counted over 100 today!! I run my fingers through my hair and there are 2-7 hairs in my hand each time. I am freaking out. Anyway, I was wondering if I should just go cold turkey (with my doctors permission) or back to premarin. Anyone have any experience on this ladies!! We could really use some advice. Thanks
Unread 06-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Hi Connie,

Since I posted, I have been to the dr and he did a thyroid and a hormone test and both are normal. He says anytime there is a hormonal change of any kind the hair will shed. He sees it especially after childbirth. I also asked if I could try going lower on my patch and he said sure try it. Well, I guess it is too soon after surgery. I had the the hot flashes so bad. I only was on a lower does 3 days and I was awakened at 5:00 in the morning with a burning head , headache , and fluttering in the chest. I did everything to get it to quit. I didn't feel it was easing up until an hour had past and then it was still pretty uncomfortable. It didn't take me long to figure my body needed the .1 Vivelle Dot and not the .05. The dr would like me to be on it for about 5 years and then see about lowering. I'm so thankful for hrt now!

The hair is still shedding some. Yesterday I went out and bought Nioxin hair shampoo and conditioner. It is a nutritional product. It feels real good on the scalp and my hair looks not as dry. I'll let you know how it does as far as the shedding goes.

The other problem I'm trying to get past is a lot of muscle aches after exercise which I did not have before surgery. The dr of course says it's not from surgery. I beg to differ. I have been gradually getting back to exercise and I'm still having muscle aches and some joint aches. I think it comes with being menopausal so fast. I guess like everything else it takes time to heal from the shock to our symptoms.

Your hair falling out could be you need a hormone adjustment or stress could be causing it. If it keeps up I'd see the dr just to see what he thinks.

s
Unread 06-25-2003, 07:46 AM

Hi just an update - I also had blood work and everything was normal. Its been two weeks and hair is still coming out pretty badly. But judging from your reply, it did get better. I hope I am just in a cycle and it will stop eventually. The problem is, if it is stress, the fact I am losing hair is stressing me out,so its a viscious circle. Anyway, I got Niaxin, used it twice so far, I just got the shampoo and scalp therapy, not the treatment stuff. I hate washing my hair because more comes out then. Anyway, I did go to my hairdresser and she was not alarmed. Said I have lots of new growth coming so that must be a good sign. Keep me updated. Dr. changed my hormone back to premarin from estrodial. It s a lower dose .3 I am seriously considering just completely going off. Its so scary. My Doctor also prescribed antidepressent to ease the anxiety. That probably won't kick in for a while. Keep me informed. Good luck.
Unread 06-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi Connie,

My hair is not shedding very much at all now. I like the shampoo and scalp therapy. It feels so cool on the scalp. My hair is growing in as well, so maybe the body is adjusting from having this surgery. I am on my hormone patch still and am comfortable. If you can get your stress level down you will see a difference in things. It takes the body a while to adjust to any kind of change and in some people it shows up in this hair shedding. Let me know how you do dropping your estrogen, and if you have any symptoms doing it.

s
Unread 07-05-2003, 05:13 PM
re: hair loss + estrogen

Hi. I'm due to have TAHBSO "soon" due to endometrial hyperplasia, incurable PID, adeno etc.
At 49, been on & off various estrogen products and noticed hair loss starting the very next day after any form of estrogen - even vaginal "estrace", vagifem etc.
Black Cohosh much less hair loss, very effective for me so far, w/flashes/sweats etc.
Good news: when I stop estrogen, hair regrows quickly.
Unread 07-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi,

That is very interesting to hear. I am finally getting much better and I'm still on the estrogen. I tried to get off but was miserable. I wonder why it is getting better? Maybe my body has adjusted to the hormone imbalance this surgery caused. I do wish we knew for sure. Thanks for the information. I do believe the hormones do have very much to do with it one way or another.

s
Unread 07-06-2003, 10:32 AM

Hi, just an update, hair is still coming out quite a bit. I had all the blood tests and eveything was normal. Dermatologist said that I just have to ride it out,it is very common and is probably due to stress, even stress that could have happened months ago. I guess he sees it alot. When it happens to us, sometimes we think we are alone in it. He said it will end and I will not go bald. Maybe even a couple months. So I am trying to be calm about it and hope it will go away. I am continuing on my estradiol because when I tried to go off, I really felt awful. Thanks for all the info - take care
Unread 07-21-2003, 01:29 PM
hair loss amd estrogen

Hi, all. I have also been losing tons of hair for close to 3 months. I had to increase my hormones in February due to horrendous vasomotor symptoms, insomnia, etc. I was going through a physically tough time with several medical issues and apparently my need for the estrogen increased accordingly. I also had two outpatient medical procedures which required brief periods of general anesthesia in January. I have switched to Vivelle dots from Esclim. The total amount I'm on now is a .1mg. patch with another .075. I am sleeping the best I have in a year, but now I'm shedding hair to the tune of 100+ hairs every time I comb out from shampooing. I've had a recent blood work-up including thyroid, which all came back normal ranges. This is so depressing. If any of you start seeing results from anything, then please let the rest of us know. Just having light at the end of this tunnel would be encouraging. I can now see my scalp through the top portion of my hair, and have started to have to wear my hair combed over to the side (the awfull "comb over" effect), or extra wide headbands just to cover the bare areas. I always had thick hair, as do all the women in my family. By the way, I've received zip sympathy from my medical docs., both of whom are women, and my dermatologist said I would just have to live with it-he's totally bald. Gal
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi Gal,

I am still shedding, but is slowing a bit. I wonder if it is the vivelle dot we are taking or just that it is a change in hormones and takes awhile to settle. I don't see thinning or bald spots with mine, but it sheds more than before the surgery. I am using the Nioxin shampoo and conditioner now. I wish I knew if it was the type of estrogen or an imbalance still of hormones.

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.