HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Overactive thyroid Overactive thyroid

Unread 06-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Overactive thyroid

Has anyone else suddenly had a thyroid problem shortly after a hysterectomy? After a racing heart and shortmess of breath sent me to the emergency room, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The attending doc said there was no relation between this and my surgery, but in my written "aftercare" instructions, ovaries are listed under "body parts involved.

I have my 6 week post-op appt next week and will discuss with my ob/gyn.

Any thought or experience with this?
Unread 06-13-2003, 10:08 AM
?

Check out the endocrine society's website: www.hormone.com
Unread 06-13-2003, 11:05 AM
HI QUILT

HELLO, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE OVERACTIVE THYROID.. WAS DIAGNOSED WITH IT 6YRS AGO AND IT IS NOW IN REMISSION FOR 3 YRS. IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE BUT NOT IN AN ACTIVE STATE. I TOOK ATENENOL AND TAPOZOLE AT THE TIME. IT IS VERY HARD TO CONTROL THE OVERACTIVE THYROID. GETTING THE LEVELS BACK TO NORMAL WAS A BAD TIME FOR ME..BUT IT HAPPENED. ALONG WITH IT COMES GRAVES DIEASE..SO HAVE YOUR DR CHECK FOR THAT. GRAVES DIEASE EFFECTS THE NERVES IN YOUR EYES..YOU DONT GO BLIND FROM IT..A HYTSER WILL CAUSE THYROID PROBLEMS..I WAS AFRAID MINE WOULD GO OUT OF REMISSION BECAUSE OF MY HYSTER LAST YR AND IT DIDNT THANK GOD.. I HAVE MY THYROID LEVELS TESTED EVERY 3 MTHS TO BE SURE THEY ARE OK.. I WILL DO THAT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE..GOOD LUCK WITH SWEEITE.. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK.. I DONT TAKE ANY MEDS FOR MY THYROID AT ALL..IT DOES GET BETTER SO DONT BE SCARED..CHRIS
Unread 06-13-2003, 08:32 PM
hyst/thyroid they are connected

After my hyst... I started having rapid heart beat and other symptoms and when to Dr. She told me I need blood work because it is very common for the thyroid to act up after a hyster.

Turns out mine was hormone imbalance but just wanted to let you know hormones do effect the thyroid. God Bless. I wish you the best.
Unread 06-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Overactive thyroid

Thanks for your input, sisters. I will check out the web site.

So, is there a chance that my throid will settle back to normal when I am finished healing? I am waiting for the endocrinologist to return from vacation before further testing is done.
Unread 06-14-2003, 06:13 PM
QUILT IT IS HARD TO SAY

HI QUILT, IT IS HARD TO SAY IF YOUR THYROID WILL BALANCE OUT BY ITSELF. I WOULD IMAGINE YOU NEED MEDS TO DO THAT. IF IT IS CAUSED BY THE HYSTER(MINE WASNT , BECAUSE AT THE TIME I DIDNT HAVE A HYSTER) THEN ITS REAL POSSIBLE ONCE YOUR HORMONES BALANCE SO WILL YOUR THYROID. I AM GLAD YOU CAUGHT IT NOW INSTAED A YR FROM NOW. I HAD NO IDEA THAT I HAD OVER ACTIVE AT THE TIME I FOUND OUT. I COULD OF HAD IT FOR QUITE A FEW TRS. MAYBE THAT IS WHY IT TOOK A FEW YRS FOR IT TO BLANCE..BUT MEDS DID THAT FOR ME AT THE TIME. MIRACULOUSLY THEY DO GO INTO REMISSION..CHRIS

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.