HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

First sex - stitch? First sex - stitch?

Unread 06-27-2003, 05:33 AM
First sex - stitch?

Hi, ladies. I have been lurking since before my TVH with A&P repairs on May 12, but always managed to find answers without posting myself. I had my 6 week checkup on Tuesday and was cleared for sex and easing back into regular activity. He pulled a remaining stich out and treated with silver nitrate, so we waited until discharge had gone and last night (with nervousness on both our parts), we lit the candles and started a nice romantic evening. I am VERY happy to report the Big O is just as good as ever; however, activity was cut short because I had a little sore spot - it seemed very close to the "surface" and DH said he could feel it too - that it felt like a stitch.

My question is, if it was a stitch, wouldn't the Dr. have seen it when he did the exam? If not a stitch, any idea what else it might be? I know I won't be able to get in to see the Dr. It's a long weekend here (well, Tuesday is the holiday, but Monday is his surgery day). It wasn't irritation, because lubrication was definitely NOT a problem!

I'm just so impatient to get life back to normal, this really upset me - now I'm afraid to try again. Has this happened to anyone else?
Unread 06-27-2003, 05:48 AM
First sex - stitch?

Hi LisaCollette,
I have not had this surgery yet, but I have had others where stitches "surfaced" after we thought all were removed. I KNOW it IS possible for drs to miss stitches.

I think you are doing the right thing to get to the dr as soon as you can and check things out.

I am sure it was very upsetting for you - but you seem to be handling it in the best way possible - try to stay relaxed and not worry - it probably is exactly what you think and you can get it sorted out quickly.

good luck,
Cheryl
p.s - just checked your profile and see you are Canadian! so am I, but I am living in Italy. Where in N.S. do you live?
Unread 06-27-2003, 05:52 AM
First sex - stitch?

Hi, there - Italy - how exciting! I'm in Timberlea, just outside Halifax. Where in Canada are you from?
Unread 06-27-2003, 05:59 AM
First sex - stitch?

Ottawa!
I have relatives who live just outside Halifax, in Bedford - right on Kearny Lake.

Now I live just outide of Milan, Italy (in the north -and right now we are having a heat wave ugh....)

Please feel free to write to me personally, you can find my email in my profile!

cheers,
Cheryl
Unread 06-27-2003, 07:42 AM
First sex - stitch?

Just to let ya know--it could be a stitch but more than likely it is a clump of hardened silver nitrate. It will eventually dislodge itself, but if its too painful, for sure ask your doc. If its not the nitrate or a stitch, it could be the equivilent of a skin tag. kind of like where the skin grew back together leaving some of the remaining skin still there. Like if you were to pinch yourself. Either way I would ask your doc. Remember, they had an ity-bitty space tp be working in---like if you were to try to remove your car engine from a muffler, so its possible he just missed something. Just ask him, and congrats on the wonderful "bonding experience" you and the DH had. Lots more to come!!
Unread 06-27-2003, 07:53 AM
First sex - stitch?

Hi there fellow bluenoser - I am in Pictou County!

When I was given the ok for sex (at an early 4 weeks, on Dr.'s request) I had a couple stitches come out after sex the first few times, I did not have any feeling that they were there while we were engaged in activity but when I went to the bathroom after and wiped they were there. Maybe the intercourse helped loosen them up?

If you are feeling it suring - I would call Dr. and see what he has to say, you might not get into see him but this might be solved or put your mind at ease over a phone call.

Good Luck!
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:31 AM
First sex - stitch?

Thanks for all your replies. It definitely feels like a pinch, so could very well be any of the things you suggest. On the good side, the discharge I had for almost the full 6 weeks since surgery seems to FINALLY be gone - YAY!

I decided to call the Dr., but darn, the office is closed until Monday (which I know is his surgery day), Tuesday is a national holiday, so I won't be able to reach him until at least Wed. of next week. Oh well, it's not like I'm suffering or anything (except for that rare disease, lack-a-nookie!). Maybe I'll give it a couple of days and try again, just to see if it's something that will "stretch out" or "dislodge". After all, practice makes perfect!!
Unread 06-27-2003, 10:06 AM
First sex - stitch?

that's the spirit ---- but go carefully!
cheers,
Cheryl

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway