HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can Rectocele return? Can Rectocele return?

Unread 06-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Can Rectocele return?

I had LAVH/BSO with extensive rectocele repair in January of 2002. I had a lot of problems the first few months after surgery. After one year I finally felt good. Now I am getting a little nervous. It sort of feels like the rectocele is returning. I hate to see Dr. since I went so many times last year. Has anybody had a rectocele return and re-repaired?
Thanks for your response.
Unread 06-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I had a rectocele done and I was told it could be undone if constipated and tried to push hard stools through. I have been real careful to have soft stools with the help of fiber and lots of water. I would hate to ever have this done again. I had no pain hardly with the TVH, but the repair was the worst part of it. The dr said when muscle is cut it hurts more and takes longer to heal. He was right about that. Gee, I hope you don't have to re do it. Maybe a change in your diet will make it better.

s
Unread 06-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Can Rectocele return?

Hi ((((Renate))))

I had my rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst. My lifting and straining restrictions remained for several weeks after I was released to resume most of my normal activities, in order to avoid damaging the repairs. Furthermore, I've always known that prolapse could return: DH's aunt had to deal with a cystocele twice

I think I know is that those of us who had a prolapse need to be careful for the rest of our lives. This means try and avoid constipation (that's a hard one for me since I also have IBS, mostly the constipation type) and try and not lift or strain.

I know that you hate having to return to your doctor: I've had to go back because of several problems and one of them, increasing problems with incontinence, might result in another surgery and I've postponed it for as long as it was humanly possible. However, you know that this will have to be addressed, sooner or later, and that only your doctor can diagnose what is causing your problems.

Sending lots of gentle s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 07-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Can Rectocele return?

I was just going to ask the same thing. I had bladder suspension, cystocele & rectocele repair mid April. I was feeling much better at around 8 weeks, and now, 3 months later, I feel a very heavy feeling again and a bulge in the vagina. I am sure I have a rectocele back, I have made a gyno appt for first of August. Also, my lower back and hips are hurting again. I have tryed to be careful, I don't know what I have done wrong. Are you saying it took you a year to feel normal again, and now you feel it coming back? I would certainly make an appt asap. The thought of having another surgery just freaks me out. I just don't know what happened, there is just a certain amount of lifting, etc that you have to do with everyday life. Let me know what you find out!
Unread 07-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Can Rectocele return?

You know I had the rectocele repair too about 4 1/2 months ago and there have been several times I thought mine had come back. I then noticed that on particularly active days I would swell and feel the heaviness. This was especially when I had been on my feet a lot or had been lifting a lot....and that was not lifting more than my weight ban, 20 lbs just a lot of lighter things. It has gotten better with time, but to put it mildly I still feel like there is something up my bum if I do too much and it can be painful. Have you ever had hemmorhoids. Mine feel almost as bad as a rectocele sometimes and they have been awful since the surgery. I too thought this was one of the most painful parts of my surgery. Hope you do not have to go throught his again. I know on the UPRISE website they quote high rates of failure for prolapse surgeries, but most of the MDs sites quote an 85% sucess rate at 5 years.
Unread 07-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Can Rectocele return?

Thank you SO much for replying, that eases my mind. I will still go to gyno and have it checked out. I wouldn't think it would fail again so soon, 3 months after surgery. Probably on my feet too much and working too hard, I hope so! I don't have roids, but have that uncomfortable "something up your bum" feeling you describe. I've never had such a difficult surgery to heal from! The bladder surgery went fine, but the this rectocele repair is the worst for me. Sometimes it doesn't feel much better than it did before. Not a good area to have non-functional, and it hurts to sit for long. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be normal :-(
just need to give it more time I hope.
Unread 07-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Can Rectocele return?

Thank you so much for replaying to my question. Diane, I hope that we don't have to have surgery again. I finally made an appointment and will see my gy next week. Since I have that heavy feeling and some pain. So, I will report to you what he finds. Renate01
Unread 07-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Can Rectocele return?

Thanks, keep in touch. It would be interesting to see what our surgeons say. Hope neither one of us needs further surgery!
Unread 07-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Can Rectocele return?

Hi everybody,
Just returned from appointment with my gyn. He told me that he could not see that the rectocele had returned. I did, however, have a slight cystocele, but that I did have that before the hyst. It was not to the point that he would consider surgery. He thought that the pain I had came from all the scar tissue I had due to severity of rectocele repair and the hematoma that I had two weeks after surgery. Before my hyst. I had problems off and on with Lichen Sclerosis (very nasty stuff). After surgery it was gone due to the fact that gyn removed some of that tissue when repairing rectocele. But now lichen sclerosis has returned which causes some of the discomfort. So he gave me the same testosterone ointment I had years ago. Wants to see me in 2-3 months again. So, I feel much better being assured that rectocele had not returned.
By the way, I cannot say enough about this wonderful web site. I just wish I had found it before my hyst that I would have had a much better idea what to expect.
Unread 07-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Can Rectocele return?

((((Renate))))) Thank you so much for the update. I'm so happy that you're not dealing with a recurring rectocele

I'm sorry, though, that the Lichen Sclerosis has shown it's ugly head again Hopefully, the testosterone treatment will prove helpful.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how you're doing

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.