HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > The Polling and Petition Place

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Did your spouse stay at the hospital overnight? Did your spouse stay at the hospital overnight?

Unread 09-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Did your spouse stay at the hospital overnight?

My DH did not stay overnight in the hospital. The whole time I was having my surgery and sleeping he was awake and worrying, so I told him to go home I would be fine, I had nurses and doctors taking care of me and I wanted him to have his rest so when I got home he wouldn't be so tired he couldn't help me.

He felt better about sleeping home in his own bed. I knew if I wanted to call him anytime I could.
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:31 AM

No, my DH did not stay the night, and he wasn't even there when I came out of recovery. I couldn't believe it! He took me in the morning, stayed with me until I went into the OR and then went home and fell asleep.

We fought about it for weeks afterward. He really couldn't understand why I was so upset. He came to my next surgery because he knew he'd get in trouble if he didn't.

2 days ago his mother had surgery. He came home and said how important it is to stay the whole time and to be there when the patient wakes up. You can imagine how this made me feel.

The up side to this is that he has *finally* realized why I was so upset, and admitted that he had some sort of fear or something, that kept him from being there for me. And has finally *truly* apologized!

Margot
Unread 09-22-2005, 09:40 AM

My husband didn't stay the night, but was there the whole day. It didn't bother me at all that he wasn't there. I think I would have been concerned about him not sleeping well at the hospital. Since I couldn't get out of bed there wasn't really anything he could have done for me that first night anyway. I did want him there once I could get out of bed to help me to the bathroom.
Unread 09-30-2005, 11:43 AM

My DH stayed, it was my first time to be in a hospital overnight and I was touched that he insisted on staying with me.
Unread 10-27-2005, 02:00 PM

My DH stayed with me the whole time. All through the surgery and was there when I got out of the recovery room. I was in the hospital four days and nights. He never once stepped out of the hospital. He ate in the cafeteria and slept beside my bed on a padded bench. I told him several times that it would be fine if he wanted to leave. He would have none of it. Insisting he wanted to be there with me. I grew to love having him there and in the end I was very glad he had stayed. It made it a lot more enjoyable for me.
Unread 11-26-2005, 12:09 PM

My hubby stayed with me until I went into surgery and then dissapeared, went home to eayt, walk the dog, the Dr. could not find him after surgery and he did not show up until an hour after I was in my room. He stayed about 45 minutes to a hour and went home, THe next few days he would come about 11-noon and stay for about 454 minutes to and hour. He took off the day I came home, and two of my daughters stayed home too. He went back to work the next day, he works 3pm to 11pm, 1 daughter went to work late and one decided if everyone was going to be home, she couls go with her friends, so I had to walk the dog, cook, etc. Really fun, I was doing laudry by myself at 2weeks
Unread 11-27-2005, 01:40 AM

I don't know what I would of done w/ out my DH!! He didn't stay w/ me the first night at the surgery center. I ended up having internal bleeding and being rushed to the hospital for abdominal surgery the next day, where I stayed for a week. My DH stayed every night with me from that day on. My eyes opened on how wonderful he actually is!!
He got me a drink if I needed one, helped me to the bathroom, called the nurse if I was in to much pain, helped me change positions in bed, and helped change my bed pads after all the bleeding. I still get teary eyed when I think of him there, taking 100% care of me. Doing things I thought he would never do, just because he loves me that much...
Unread 12-14-2005, 12:23 AM

My DH did not spend overnight. He went home with our young daughter and my Dad who flew in from Fla. to help out. Instead my closest girlfriend slept overnight as I can't see without my contact lenses and my opthalmologist advised me not to wear them for 3 days. So glad she was there, especially to bring warm blankets and read aloud to calm me. She got a nurse when I OD'd on the morphine PCA and perhaps saved my life.
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:52 AM

Oh my, of course!! First of all, NO ONE should ever stay in the hospital without someone to be a full-time advocate. Second of all, I hope that everyone has a relationship with their spouse that qualifies them to be great and loving advocates. I would NEVER spend 5 minutes in the hospital without my husband.
Unread 12-15-2005, 12:01 PM

My DH did not stay and there was no accomodation for him even if I wanted him to. My doctor and hospital are 2 hrs away from home, so DH stayed with friends in the area. Mom kept the boys and friends watched the dogs. I slept the first day and DH just sat by the bed and held my hand. Day 2 was better and he came to the hospital early. And blessed day 3 we headed home. He went back to work on Day 5. Though we live on site, so he stoped in several times during the day to check in me. He is my best friend as well as the love of my life.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.