had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and still bleeding.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and still bleeding.. had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and still bleeding..

Unread 07-02-2003, 02:53 PM
had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago and still bleeding..

Hello everyone I never thought i'd be on a message board like this one but here i am none the less. The main reason i decided for this surgery is to alleviate my depression. NOT WORKING!

My lower insides were so messed up with ovarian cysts , endomeytriosis and huge fibroids everywhere It was like I was perpetually 16 weeks pregnant for 8 years. my hormones and depression got completely out of hand and my poor children and my husband has born the worst of it. I feel like a horrible person the worst ever. I feel like i ruined my kids lives for the last 8 years and don't know where to start making it up. I'm desperate to start feeling better.

2 weeks after this total hysterectomy i'm still bleeding is this normal? sometimes i bleed more sometimes less, is anything wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2003, 07:21 PM

actually i am not 5 weeks post op i'm only two weeks. whoever emailed me has me confused with the poster that i responded to.

i'm still bleeding two weeks post TAH
I also had endo and ovrian cysts removal.
Unread 07-02-2003, 07:27 PM

Well, some spotting isn't unusual, but...I think I'd talk to the doctor. I know that when I was up more than a few hours at a time I spotted more. Are you, by chance, on your feet and trying to be "normal?"

As for the kids...they'll be OK. It's astonishing how flexible the human being is. Be honest with them -- tell them how much you love them. Tell them they have been a big help to you while you are getting yourself healthy again and how much you appreciate their support. Give them as much concrete positive feedback you can. Don't apologize too much, it can make them feel more injured than they are!

And, finally, depression has many many causes. Hormones can do it, but so can lots of other things. Keep in close contact with your doctor. We have quite a bit of depression in our family. It's a genetic goof, like having 6 fingers or having a ragweed allergy. It can be helped by a doctor; most of us have needed to take drugs at some point, though not all. We have needed a caring medical professional to help see it clearly and help keep it in perspective.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2003, 07:44 PM

Thank you MN I really appreciate your reply

I don't apologise to my kids at all. I internalize it all i guess, I still feel guilty about combing my DD hair to hard when she was small
it sounds stupid i know but I'm thinking that she's gonna grow up with these terrible memories of how I hurt her head when she was small :-D woe is meee! heheheh! DWL!!

seriously I live life in a hind sight 20/20 mode and I don't want to make unhealthy mistakes anymore my husband and all my relatives told me that my troubles stemmed from the stuff inside my abdomen causing hormonal problems. I guess at this point in the game it just may be too early to tell.
Unread 07-02-2003, 08:03 PM

Bless you -- yeah, it's early.

Oh How I can relate. I have the added horror of having cute video of me asking my DD to step back as I'm taping her brother. I die inside everytime I see it. She's 19 and OK and she knows I love her, but oh how I wish I'd been a better mom. She tells me -- I'm HER mom and so I'm good enough for her. SHe's a wise child.
Unread 07-02-2003, 09:52 PM

((((Loja))))

I'm 17days post op and bleeding everday day of it. And not just spotting but filling a panty liner every hour or a pad every 3 or 4hrs. Dr, and the ladies here, said that is normal for some. I had my hyst due to endo too, and I also suffer depression. I started on Prozac 2yrs ago and last year started taking Paxil. What a life saver the anti depressants have been for me. Dealing with an incurable and constantly painfull disease like endo is bound to make anyone depressed hun... please don't be to hard on yourself. Especially now as you are so early in your recovery.

Crash
Unread 07-03-2003, 06:07 AM

Hello Crash

why did you stop the prozac, do you plan to stop the paxil now that you've had the operation?

I stopped both since i figured the operation was a better way to go.

I always felt like the better feelings i got from the drugs were artificial and not really me. how do i rely on a little pill to get me going for the rest of my life. The way things are going right now though I may have to change this policy. ( ;-D}

thanks I feel better about the bleeding. My doctor gave me antibiotics to take and I think I'll start taking them just in case.
Unread 07-03-2003, 06:26 AM

Loja--
Boy have I been there. I wouldn't say I was depressed I had severe PMS. I would go into a rage, and then feel so guilty about it have a crying fit. I was out of control. My poor DS. He often experienced the worst of me. I would apoligize and then try to explain but I feared I was really ruining our relationship. My dr put me on prozak (about 3 yrs now) and I loved the way I changed. I often fought it because I also hated the fact that I needed some drug to keep me sane. How difficult that is to accept. I would think I didn't need it and cut my dosage then notice I was feeling angry all the time again and would go back. Now that I've had my TAH/BSO I'm curious to see if I still need the prozak. I have an appt with my reg dr next week to see. My gyn dr won't comment on it since he didn't give me meds. Now I'm slowly cutting back - every other day. And I'm feeling great. I'm taking estrace 1mg sublin. and hoping I can stop the prozak. But if I find I still need it I will still take it. (Fortunately since i've been on it for so long it no longer affects me sexually-lol). Have you discussed this with a dr. You have only so many years with you children and I wanted mine to be pleasant experiences for my son. It was so difficult to accept the fact that I needed a drug to do it.
Okay, you also didn't mention if you still have ovaries--are you on hormones? That could help also. As far as bleeding goes I haven't had that happen to me. And though I read it does happen I'd still call dr and make sure. I sure hope you start to feel better. I'm on wk 5 and cannot believe how great I feel. Actually wasn't tired in the afternoon yesterday and didn't need a red bull to feel that way. HUGS
Tricia
Unread 07-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Hi all

I've been on Prozac for the last 10 years..i've never stopped and don't intend to..i only take 10 mg every day..it has saved my life. I too was a very hard person to live with and was sometimes hard on my daughter..she's now 20 and we have had a very good relationship..i too feel guilty about being miserable with her when she was small..hard to explain why..Just talk with your DR if you want to go off any meds..please don't do it cold turkey..

I've just had my TAH/BSO June 25 and it will be interesting to see if any of my moods do change..so far i haven't noticed anything-and am not taking hormones yet..I'm going to try the Natural Way first and if it does'nt help i will get the patch..good luck to everyone-i think this site is so supportive..thanking everyone of you everyday for posting and encouraging us...

Michee
TAH/BSO-fibroids/anemia
Unread 07-03-2003, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by loja
Hello Crash

why did you stop the prozac, do you plan to stop the paxil now that you've had the operation?

I stopped both since i figured the operation was a better way to go.

I always felt like the better feelings i got from the drugs were artificial and not really me. how do i rely on a little pill to get me going for the rest of my life. The way things are going right now though I may have to change this policy. ( ;-D}

thanks I feel better about the bleeding. My doctor gave me antibiotics to take and I think I'll start taking them just in case.
I stopped the Prozac and went to Paxil for my aniexty attacks. When my endo pain would hit I'd get depressed and have an aniexty attacks that would last for weeks. So far so good on the Paxil. I'm not too worried about taking them long term, as at least now I can be NOT depressed.... whether it comes from a pill or not I'll take it. I too am wondering if when my hormones get in check and my body recovers from all this (2 surgeries in 2mos for me ) that I may not need the Paxil, but even if I still do I'm ok with that too.

Hang in there hun and give yourself the time you need to heal.

Crash

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register