HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Surgery preparation? Surgery preparation?

Unread 07-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Surgery preparation?

I had a question after reading so many messages regarding preparing for the surgery. The only instructions I was given is not to eat after 12 midnight on Sunday (my surgery is 9:15 this Monday morning) and absolutely nothing in my mouth 6 hours prior to surgery. I have been reading about bowel prep. I wasn't told to do anything for this. Should I be in contact with my dr to find out about that or is it something that may vary from dr to dr and depends upon the procedure being done?

I need to finish getting my bag ready, but other than that I am amazingly calm. I just hope the calm lasts until they knock me out.

The hardest part will be hugging my son goodbye. He's only 4 so he doesn't completely understand what's going on. He's been so sweet giving me hugs "to make you better Mama so you won't have to go to the dr." He has plenty of support though with my DH and Grandma & Grandpa. He'll be staying with Grandma & Grandpa most of the week so that is a special treat for him. He's a little trooper. :-)
Unread 07-06-2003, 12:36 AM
Surgery preparation?

Hi Judy! Every DR has his or her preference about the bowel prep. Some give elaborate instructions including enemas, laxative solutions, douches etc. while others just instruct their patients "nothing by mouth after midnight". If that's all your DR told you to do, then that's all you have to do.

If it would make you feel better to ask explicitly about a bowel prep, though, you could always call the DR on call and they can check with your DR to make sure there are no other instructions you need to follow.

Good luck with your surgery, I'll look forward to seeing you over in Post Op!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-06-2003, 02:49 AM
Surgery preparation?

Hi-
Just wanted to let you know that my Dr was one of those "nothing by mouth after midnight" guys. So, the night before surgery was a piece of cake! I have had to do bowel prep for a colonoscopy and it was NO FUN! When my Dr said no bowel prep, he made my day! Just relax and count yourself as one of the lucky ones!

Best Wishes
Unread 07-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Surgery preparation?

Hi, I didn't have to do any prep at home, it was done at the hospital the morning of my surgery. It was really not bad at all ( just a fleets enema).
It sounds like you have a great support team - that's wondeful.
Best wishes.
s
Unread 07-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Surgery preparation?

I was instructed to do a Fleet Enema and Betadine Douch the night before surgery, and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Had I not done the enema, I think I would have worried relentlessly about pooping either during or after surgery in my bed! My hospital anest. said they almost always do epidurals for pain control, and I'm not entirely sure I could have even FELT when a trip to the bathroom was necessary. In other words, I was able to enjoy the rest, knowing that my bowels were empty!!!!
Unread 07-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Hi!

I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I had no bowel prep either. Only prep I did have was nothing to eat or drink after midnite. My surgery was scheduled for 10, they told me to be at castle at 8. We, dh and I, were there at 8, we waited in waitin room until about 8:40 when they finally called my name. Took me back to preop where they started iv and I put on lovely gown. Then they took me to another room where dr. came in asked if I had any questions, I said no. Then "a dr" came in with a syringe of something, asked if I had any questions. I said no and he put it in my iv. I barely remember him walking away! next thing I knew it was over and they were waking me up.
Unread 07-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Good Luck

Hello,
My surgery is also scheduled for tomorrow. The most difficult part for me will be saying goodbye to my kids. They are 3 and 4 years old and so sweet. I'll say a prayer for you.
Unread 07-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Surgery preparation?

Hi Judy!

Every doctor is different! Some want you to do pre op preps, and some do not.

If your doctor did not tell you to do anything, then do NOTHING. Do not take it upon yourself to do bowel preps or ANYTHING. Like me, consider yourself one of the lucky ones!

Hope everything goes SUPER for you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.