HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Clear Liquid Diet? Clear Liquid Diet?

Unread 07-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Clear Liquid Diet?

MD ordered a Clear Liquid Diet for the day before my surgery. Other than jello and broth (neither one too appetizing to me), I'm having trouble thinking of other things I can eat (drink?) Any ideas? Or will I be so nauseous with the Mag Citrate that I won't feel like eating? And speaking of that dreaded Mag Citrate, is their a good way of getting this down? Thanks to all of you.
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Clear Liquid Diet?

I have gotten the Mag citrate very cold and I plugged my nose when I chugged it down!

As for the diet you can add: clear soda pop, like Sprite and 7-up.

I hope some more HS come along and add to the list!
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Clear Liquid Diet?

If you're going to have soda, open it and leave it in the fridge so it goes flat. You don't want the carbonation.

Popsicles are considered a clear liquid (the fruit flavored kind, not the fudge bars.) Ask for one AFTER your surgery. It helps with the slight sore throat. Prior to surgery the coldness helps dull your appetite.

Apple juice and cranberry juice are good choices. Orange juice, tomato juice and other citrus juices are NOT considered a clear liquid. Most tea is considered a clear liquid but coffee is not.
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Re: Clear Liquid Diet Before Surgery

Hi Ladies,
Just curious--why a clear *before* the surgery???
Thats all... Yes as u can tell---I am not punctured yet LOL!!
Just have lots of questions... Bare with me hear--I read a post--and reply with a question--sorry its the only way to learn I guess...
Thanks....
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Clear Liquid Diet?

I was told that the reason for the clear liquids the day before is because that way if you do get sick from the anestetics, you just blow fluid instead of chuncks *S*
I was on a clear liquid diet when I had pancreatitis for 2 weeks! I was never so sick of jello and broth in my life! It leaves you still so hungry! The one thing that I found that really seemed to give me more strength and at least somewhat filling was Cambell's Consume (sp?) it is a very beefy tasting clear broth and doesn't taste half bad. The doctor didn't think I was very funny when he told me that if I could see thru it I could have it, I told him that if I held a Ritz cracker up close enough to my eye, I could see thru it can I eat them?
Mag citrate..there is no easy way! Hold your nose and chug is the only way I could keep it down.
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Clear liquids it is :)

Okay now it makes sense Yes you are right--I don't want to be blowing chunks everywhere should I get sick. And I have had several knee surgeries and did get very sick the first time, but I figured that is why they cut u off after midnight--guess in this case midnight isn't good enough huh?? Thanks again for the info...
Unread 07-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Clear Liquid Diet?

Ooowwwww! I am laughing so hard about that Ritz cracker! It hurts my tummy, but that really hit the old funny bone!
I will never think of clear liquids in the same way again!

My Dr. did not have me on clear liquids or on any bowel prep the day before surgery. No after surgery for me, either. I would just do what your Dr requests and nothing more.

Best Wishes
Unread 07-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Clear Liquid Diet?

When I worked in hospital food service we would give clear juice- apple, cranberry, grape etc (anything not citrus that you can see thru) ice, italian ice or popsicles, tea (herbal or reg, hot or cold) broth and any soda (clear lemon lime, cola or even rootbeer) I'm not sure that mountain dew would fit the clear diet. When I had my laprascopies for endo I was on the clear diet because the doctors wanted to clean out my intestines so that surgery was easier and if they accidentally did do something to my intestines there would not be lots of contamination in the surgical field. clear liquids leave very little if no residue for them to have to worry about. hope this helps Heidi
Unread 07-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Clear Liquid Diet?

Clear liquids also make the bowel prep less painful than say if you just had a huge steak. The "cleanout" is faster too. As far as the Colytely and mag citrate, I kept a bottle of cold ginger ale and between gulps of prep liquid I would guzzle a little ginger ale . This was recommended by a friend and really helped me from getting so nauseated with the other taste. I had a complete bowel prep because of endo on the bowel, and appendix.
Unread 07-08-2003, 08:07 AM
For me...

when I was in the hospital for 10 days for my gallbladder I was on a clear liquid diet for all but 1 day.
I had :
Cranberry Juice
Apple Juice
Water
Broth
Jello
Sherbert
Italian Ices
Every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner I got 3 of these. Doc asked me what I wanted to do the day of my surgery and I told him eat a slice of pizza.... On the other hand - does wonders for any weight loss plan.... I came out of that hospital 15 some odd lbs. lighter than when I went in.
As far as the Mag. Citrate - COLD, COLD, COLD! And QUICK, QUICK, QUICK.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.