HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fatigue after 4 months Fatigue after 4 months

Unread 07-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Fatigue after 4 months

I passed my 4 month mark last week and continue to have horrible bouts of fatigue off and on. I have eased back into a normal everyday routine including a daily exercise program. I also believe I am eating well, lots of salad and fresh produce this time of year along with very adequate protein. My sleep is good most of the time, as I still have occasional bouts of insomnia. I am still on Detrol LA but have been on it for a couple of months so I figured the fatigue would not be a side effect. There is a lot of stress with buying a new house and packing going on. I am grasping at anything to explain it. I hope it is not something else and is still a surgery aftereffect. I am in bed by 9 most nights and so draggy all day long. Anyone else with fatigue that lingered this long and maybe how you handled it.
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Fatigue after 4 months

I am 3 1/2 months post op. I still have bouts of fatigue off and on. I am in bed between 9 and 10:00 every night. I always think I will read for a while and never finish a page. I have hot flashes every two hours all night long but sleep well in between and am up by 6:30 wide awake. But some days I need a "power nap" for 15 minutes on my lunch hour and some evenings am napping on the couch after supper. I walk every morning and ride my bike in the evening and eat well. I think fatigue is just part of the healing process. I notice it more when I've been extremely busy, especially by Sunday evening. It's so much better than it was so I'm hoping in time the fatigue will be gone completely. Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Peg
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi,

I am taking multi-vitamins, calcium tablets, vitamin E, and on estrogen patch and exercise 3 x a week and have not had this problem. These have worked for me. I hope some of these things may help you. I know everyone is different. Have you had blood tests for anemia and thyroid? Women can get tired if these are not normal. You might go in to dr and see if he will run a few tests. Good luck to you.

s
Unread 07-09-2003, 09:47 PM
7 months and still no pep!

I don't know about out-and-out fatigue, but it's been almost 7 months for me now and I still have no ambition whatsoever. I go to work and come home and sit...maybe do a little laundry, surf the web, a few dishes, and that's all I'm good for. (Of course, I work 9-1/2 hour days, which may account for part of my problem.)

Even on the weekends and days off I don't seem to want to do much of anything...even though Lord knows there's plenty I should be doing! At age 48 and overweight, I still had a lot more "get up and go" before the surgery than I do now. I even find myself wishing I was still in the "early" stages of recovery and could still be "off" work for a few more weeks.

But I'm hoping that things will keep moving along in the next few months. If nothing improves after a year, then I'll start to worry. (I did manage to do a little housepainting and coordinated a graduation party and a Fourth of July family reunion, but this year I needed more help from my daughter(s) than ever before.) Maybe if I can force myself to exercise or get out and walk, I'll feel better.

So you're not alone if you're still "worn out" after 4 months. But keep hoping...I have to believe in spite of it all we're getting better little by little every day.
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:29 PM
fatigue

I'm sorry to hear that you sisters suffer such fatigue. I was that way for the longest and went to the doctor. I was suffering slight depression because of stress in my marriage. I had problems sleeping and was gaining weight. The doctor suggested I take Paxil. I got to feeling better in about 4 months and quit taking the paxil. Was off of it for 5 months. With all of my female stress I went back in March of this year and begged him to put me back on it. This is my story and I wouldn't want to face the day without my Paxil plus I read that it helps with symptoms of menopause.
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Fatigue after 4 months

Kelle,

I think your fatigue could be perfectly normal, especially with all you have going on. A Dr. has said that it actually takes 6 months to a year for healing to be complete, so you may have a way to go yet.

I am 3 years post-op now, and remember that it took me about 8 months or so to really feel like myself again.

Your body is still channeling energy toward healing, so listen to what your body is saying, and try to catch some extra rest whenver possible.

My very best to you...
Unread 07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
fatigue after 4 months and 7 months and still not pep

I am also just past 4 months and get fatigued still. Not as bad as the beginning though. I don't feel like I have the same ambition as I used to though. I have to force myself to go walking and to curves and I usally love those things. I take a multi-vitamin and calcium. I don't sleep the best. Usually in bed by 9-9:30. Love a nap in the afternoon.
I am off from work for the summer so should feel more energized.
Do any of you 4monthers or 7 monthers still have a little tenderness? Swelly belly? My swelly is getting much better but I still have a little tenderness when I lean my belly against something and if I overdo I get little stabbing aches and pulling. Motrin usually helps but I was just wondering if anyone else is at 4mos or more and still feel these things?

Pam
Unread 07-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Fatigue after 4 months

Kelle, maybe you should have your hormones checked. When I added testosterone I felt much more energetic. I exercise at least six times a week (as I have done for 17 years), take a multi-vitamin, calcium, Estradiol and Estratest. At almost six months post op, I feel really good most days with only occasional bouts of feeling worn out. Like some of the other ladies have said, it can take a lot longer than four months to feel your best again.

Pam, I never had much of a problem with swelly belly after the first few weeks, but I did have annoying pulling pains on one side for months after my surgery. I was afraid that I was overdoing but my doctor said it was perfectly normal. Lately I notice it less and less, so I think it's finally going away.

I really must tell you that as time goes by I'm feeling more and more like my old self, only without the pain!

Hang in there.
Unread 07-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Fatigue after 4 months

Thanks for all your replies. I am giving it a week and then I will go to my GP. I have not had any hormone problems I can detect since the 2nd month. I believe I am cycling normally. I am 43 and was not having any symptoms prior to my surgery and I did keep my ovaries, but it is something to mention to my GP. I also had a friend suggest getting my thyroid checked. Again I am hoping it is a combo of post surgery, stress and sleeping with a hubby that tosses most of the night.
Unread 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Fatigue after 4 months

Hi Ladies,
I am 3 1/2 mnths post op and soooo tired!!! Yesterday I came home from work physically ill cause I was so tired. Don't even have the energy to cook dinner anymore for myself. So I eat fast food junk which probably makes me feel even worse. I am on HRT and have alot of crying jags lately which tire me out even more. I finally broke down and went and saw my family DR today. She gave me anti-depressents and took blood to see if I am a) anemic b)thryoid problems or c) Lyme disease. I am hoping that it's anemia but something has to be done. I am not really depressed, just cry or scream for no reason. Still have swelly belly and it hurts to have something rub up against my tummy. Can't wait for the 1 year mark and hopefully feel better.

TAH/BSO 4/1/03 large fibroids, painful periods
Back surgery 10/4/01

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.