HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

help...... 6 days post op can't do BM I' hurting need help please........... help...... 6 days post op can't do BM I' hurting need help please...........

Unread 07-13-2003, 03:19 PM
help...... 6 days post op can't do BM I' hurting need help please...........

Please help me get some relief I'm hurting tried warm prune juice no luck. I just took some MOM i see if it helps what else can I do I can't stand this pressure/pain
Unread 07-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Same problem

I am having the same problem. I had my surgery Wednesday. It took me until Friday night until I could pass gas, which was the key to getting into solid foods. I came home from the hospital yesterday, but have had no luck in the bm department either. I am going to ask my daughter to go to the store and get some high fiber cereal. I worry about high fiber a little or prune juice because that gives me gas pains, which I have enough of right now, but I'm feeling a bit desperate like you. My doctor did give me stool softner, but that does not seem to have helped the movement. I'll be interested in what people respond to your inquiry. Let's hope help is on the way!!
Unread 07-13-2003, 03:30 PM

I finally had to ask for a suppository in the hospital after 2 1/2 days of blowing up and feeling like I was going to pop. I got stool softeners in the hospital and asked at my appointment if I could get dependent on them. Doctor told me he takes them himself. So I went from every day to twice a week and they have been my saving grace. I have suffered with constipation since I was young no matter how I ate or what I took.
Unread 07-13-2003, 03:43 PM

When I was in the hospital the nurse told me
if I couldn't go for more than 2 days to use a
suppository. So if you have no luck with mom
you may want to give it a tryI stayed on the
stool softeners a couple weeks too.
Unread 07-13-2003, 04:08 PM

Dear Honesty,

I have my surgery 7/3 TVH/Anterior and Exterior Hernia repairs, which also was my birthday. First available day. Anyway, it was a week before I had my first bm. I asked my doctor and he put me on lactalose. My pain medication helped with the constipation. Ask your doctor, he/she wouldn't want you to be in added pain. I'll be praying for your relief.

Blessings to you,
Unread 07-13-2003, 04:30 PM

Please allow the M.O.M time to work. With me it took 6-8 hours to kick in and then I was ok. Havent had any problems since.

If it doesnt work within 8-12 hours, I would certainly call your doctor and let them know how you are hurting and that M.O.M didnt give you any relief.
Unread 07-13-2003, 05:58 PM

I had the same problem, I was a week post op and regular laxatives did not work, nor did a suppository (to my surprise). You may want to try a bottle of magnesium citrate - that worked for me. It is a 10 oz bottle you can pick up just about anywhere (a friend found mine at Wal-Mart for $1.12) -- it does not taste good but it worked. If you do that, I do suggest extra liquids tho - lots of sodium in there! I have increased my fiber since then, and have not needed help since.

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-13-2003, 06:31 PM

Have always had a problem with BM's. Hot coffee works wonders for me. Also use hot compresses to the belly and lower back. Repeated deep breaths help to get the abdominal and intestinal muscles moving. The best thing is lots of water and walk, walk, walk!!!

Good Luck.
Unread 07-13-2003, 09:13 PM

Just an added thought that the narcotic pain meds are very constipating, so you may want to give them up and switch to Ibuprofen and Tylenol when you can.
Unread 07-13-2003, 09:25 PM
So sorry!

I had terrible gas in castle that I could not move! Ended up having 2 enemas 2 days in a row just for gas! Didn't have a bm until day6 post. I kept telling the dr but he wasn't at all concerned that I hadn't yet gone. I was! Right before I finally was able to go I became very ill. Sweating, dizzy, nausious (spelling) even thought I would pass out! After 3 of these spells and really being scared and not knowing what was wrong with me i finally went. Dr said that it was all normal!! and those 3 awful spells before did have something to do with my bowel, a loop or something.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.