HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vitamin E for vaginal dryness Vitamin E for vaginal dryness

Unread 07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Vitamin E for vaginal dryness

Hi all

Need some advice. Vaginal dryness!!! I can't use any estrogen vaginal creams as they make me burn up inside (no fun I can tell you). I've tried two different ones but both drove me nuts. Can't use HRT in any form at all. Feel really yuck on it. The cures worse than the complaint.

I've read all the posts on here about vaginal dryness and because I'm extremely chemically sensitive there's not a lot I can try. I'm even sensitive to KY jelly, which is another story!!!!

I was postmenopause prior to my hyst 11 months ago and was having a few dryness problems prior to that. Actually that's when I started using the estrogen creams.

I've been using Vitamin E oil on my vulval area, which is also really dry, and it seems to be helping a bit. However, it aint easy getting the oil up inside....drips off my finger Anyone tried Vitamin E capsules with any success, and if they have what sort?
I'd have to be careful what was used to encapsulate the oil.

Any input gratefully received ladies.
Unread 07-14-2003, 10:51 PM

Hi Lynne Which estrogen creams did you try? Just curious. Did you try a compounded estriol in a hypoallergenic base? That's what I'm using now for dryness (it was either that or raise my dot dosage, and since I wasn't having hot flashes I was reluctant to do that).

Another option with Vitamin E is the vaginal suppositories. You can either have a compounding pharmacist make some up for you (I don't know whether that would require a prescription; possibly not). They are also available OTC. I've gotten them through a catalog called As We Change ( http://www.aswechange.com ). They are more expensive than the capsules but very easy to use and quite soothing. I'd rate them as more effective than the Replens and KY Long Lasting but not quite as effective as vaginal estrogen.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-15-2003, 12:59 PM

I know that some other ladies that post on the site have just used a regular vit e capsule vaginally with success. I have tried it and had no ill effects....but I am usually so tired at night....I forget to insert it. I would love to hear from others about this.
Unread 07-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Hi Linda and Chris

Thanks very much for your replies. Much appreciated.

Linda, I've used dienestrol estrogen cream and ovestin estrogen cream. I've decided I don't want to go the hormone route again and that's why I want to try something in the Vitamin E line.

Thanks for the website too. I'll try getting something a little closer to home before I resort to that but it's nice to know it's out there.

I think I might try buying some ordinary Vit. E capsules from a health store and give them a try. Will let you know how I get on.
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:30 PM

I am trying to research natural "stuff" for dryness issues as well. I have heard that Vitamin E capsules work, and just wonder how often they need to be used to be effective? I am currently using Premarin cream, but don't want to do this indefinitely, as my doctor feels that in some small amount the estrogen does get into the blood stream.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.