HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

staples left internally after LAVH staples left internally after LAVH

Unread 07-17-2003, 08:30 PM
staples left internally after LAVH

Hi everyone,
I just left a previous post about this topic but I wasn't clear about the staples. Apparently they leave staples internally as a way to suture the areas where they separate the uterine ligaments. I know they use regular sutures to close up the vagina after removing the uterus but my doctor said they use staples through the laparascope portion of surgery. Has anyone experienced any problems having permanent staples left in? I don't know why this is bothering me, my husband has has staples in his shoulder for 20 years and had no problem but they are in bone not free floating in his abdomen. I didn't realize this until my pre-op app't today. Getting nervous! Any thoughts?
Unread 07-17-2003, 11:30 PM

Hi, scs! I've heard that some drs use surgical clips internally, but they are smaller and of a higher grade surgical steel than the staples used externally. I don't think most people have any problem with the clips, though they probably would show up on an xray. Call and ask your dr about this so you're not worrying too much.
s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 07-17-2003, 11:47 PM

Hi scs I've heard the same thing as (((Ruthie))), and I hope it's true because I've got a whole lot of them inside me too! I don't feel mine; at least I don't think I do. I still have some tenderness under my incision but apparently that's not where the staples are.

I was worried about metal being left inside me so I asked my surgeon about it. He joked that I won't be setting off the metal detectors at the airport with them, because the internal ones are titanium rather than steel, and it takes a whole lot of titanium to set off a metal detector even on the sensitive setting.

s,
-Linda
Unread 07-18-2003, 12:14 AM

What type of affect would this have if a person needed to have an MRI?
DH went to have one today [MRI] they could not do one caue he has a screw in his wrsit from a wrsit fusion.

Food for thought

Debbie [withope]
Unread 07-18-2003, 12:36 AM

Surgical staples shouldn't interfere with an MRI but of course they should be disclosed when the tech asks you if you have any metal in your body. The metals that cause trouble with the MRI are metals containing iron, not titanium as used in the staples. Here's a link that explains more about why the ferrous metals are a problem:

http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/wha...aging/mri.html

-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.