just scheduled sx...really scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just scheduled sx...really scared just scheduled sx...really scared

Unread 07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
just scheduled sx...really scared

First I want to thank all of you for your posts-reading them and getting so much info helped me make my decision to go ahead with sx. I made the decision yesterday, but it took until today to get up the nerve to call and schedule. I go to the castle on September 11th for sx. They will be taking my uterus, tubes and both ovaries. Dr. is going to try to go LAVH but told me not to freak out if I wake up with abdominal incision due to number of adhesions. I am sooooo freaked out now - I am at peace with my decision, but just can't concentrate on anything and constantly think of sx and how it will go, etc... I know you all say the waiting is the hardest part so I guess I will make up for all the lost sleep after sx. Thank you all for your support and listening...it helps alot since my DH doesn't seem to understand what a big deal this is and my mom is a long distance call....Just a quick question: does the anxiety get better or am I just going to keep getting more freaked out the closer it gets?? Any ideas on getting mind off of it so I can relax (I really have trouble concentrating to read, watch tv, etc) Thanks!!

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2003, 12:17 PM

((((((Dawn)))))))))),

I want to welcome you to hystersisters.

I wish I had a magic wand to allay your fears, but I don't.

If you are very anxious, give your Dr. a call and ask for some temporary meds to get you through the wait. Alot of ladies here get help, there is no shame to ask for what you need.

Keep reading here too. The more you know the more power you have.

You may want to start with the pre op hints:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

and the post op hints:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=171

They are both full of great info.

Please feel free to post any ?s you may have.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Unread 07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
just scheduled

Dawn,

I found out in late May that I needed a hysterectomy due to a large fibroid that is causing problems. I was totally blown-away and shell shock for the first few weeks. I seriously discussed having only the fibroid removed, but after researching everything and really thinking about reality, I opted for the hysterectomy. I am scheduled for 7/30/03 and YES, the anxiety does get better as you have time to absorb everything, but expect another little streak of anxiety right before your surgery.

Keep yourself as occupied as possible, do fun things, clean the house, get your recovery room ready, but some books to read or craft projects to help pass the time.

Men often don't understand how serious a hysterectomy is to a woman, but I bet if the doctor wanted to remove their testicles they would see things in a whole new light! Their is a loss in having a hysterectomy, a loss that needs to be grieved. It is a life-changing event and although we are all scared it is almost always a huge improvement in our lives. Most of us have had chronic problems for years, have tried all the drugs, had the lesser procedures and now find ourselves running out of options.

Yes, this whole thing is scary, but on the "other" side is the promise of less pain or hopefully no pain, no periods, better social lives as we will no longer be chained to a bathroom for days or weeks at a time and the ability to do things that our GYN problems have prevented us from doing in the past.

You will get thru this, you are not alone, we are all right here with you!!

Hugs....Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Chin Up....brighter days ahead.....
It is hard to believe I was in your shoes this time last year......having surgery was the best thing yet besides having my boys....I am so-o looking forward to our trip to the beach this August and not taking tampons, maxi pads, extra underwear and a mega bottle of Advil...oh and let's not forget the birth control pills I was on to try and stop the flood I had every 14 days...lasting 10!!
Anxiety is a killer at this stage of your road to surgery and recovery....keep busy...go shopping for hospital things....cute pj bottoms and tops...I still love to wear them when I get home from work....get some good books to read or crafts to do....I picked up books at Goodwill for 25 cents and then donated them back when I was done. All I thought and talked about was surgery beforehand....And I bet thousands of our sisters here have too....
You will do fine and wonder why it took so long to have it done. My life is so much better now...still get some PMS since my DR left my ovaries...went back to work after four weeks....lost all the weight I gained before surgery....life is wonderful....
Best of luck to you and there is a calm after this storm....
God Bless,
Lilly
Unread 07-18-2003, 03:10 PM

I'm glad you are at peace with your decision. For most ladies the anxiety between and surgery levels out and hits again a week before the actual date. Keep yourself occupied. The more you read here the better you will feel. We have all been where you are or walking along side you. Discuss everything with your husband. I took my DH with me to an appointment when I met with the Dr. to ask a ton of questions. DH was able to take notes and help me remember things. It was important to me that he totally understood what would happen, what I'd feel like, and the seriousness of it all, but with my own sense of humor to keep everything light. With the jokes I made I didn't want DH to think it wasn't serious. Over a year has gone by and I'm well recovered and the better for it. I'm traveling alot this summer and couldn't be happier. And it's so nice to carry a sweet, little purse.

TC
Unread 07-18-2003, 06:46 PM

Dawn,

I know how you feel I am a long distance call from family too. I found this sight after my surgery and I have found it is great. It has gotten me throught the tough days I had a TAH/BSO and I am on HRT with the Climara patch seem to be doing real good now going into my 4th week of recovery This sight has helped me tremendously with all the loads of information it offers. So just hang in there and you will be fine keep coming on this sight you will find it will help you through this time of needing people who are going through what you are getting ready too.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register