HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 07-21-2003, 07:34 PM
cystic ovary

Good evening ladies! I had my surgery done April 24 and had a relatively easy recovery. My problem occured the weekend of the fourth of July. I started having pain in my left side and had the urgency to urinate. I self medicated with Uristat thinking I had a urinary infection and called my doctor that Monday. She saw me that day and they did a urine culture. Everything turned out negative. So, she sent me off for a pelvic sonogram and I was told that I have a cyst on my ovary that was left. I didn't have my ovaries removed only because the dr. said they were high up and would have been a more extensive surgery. According to him they are not funtioning and I am on HRT. Has anyone else had this problem? I see the dr. again on Thursday... will I just be told "oh well". I never had this problem before my surgery. It is very frustrating!!! Hope to hear from someone with some encouraging news. Thanks!

Surgery done on April 24 TVH with bladder repair.
Unread 07-21-2003, 11:28 PM
cystic ovary

Hi. I have had several cycts and they can give you a med called the depoprovera shot to see if the cyct will shrink. If it doesnt work then they can do a lap. to remove the cyct. I have had several that has ruptured on me before they could drain them and it hurts like hell. The best thing to do is not to have intercorse becasue that will agravate it more. Take 800mg. of motrin every 6 hours and a heating pad also helps. Good luck.
Unread 07-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Had Ovarian Cyst.....

My doc removed a cyst from the one ovary I got to keep during surgery. The psthology report said that the ovary that was removed had "cystic folicles" - whatever that is (?)

I have a question for you, Debmar:

How does your doc know that the ovaries aren't working? Did he do a specific test? The reason I'm asking is that I'm still having menopause AND pms symptoms off and on at 9 weeks post-op. Not on any HRT.
Unread 07-22-2003, 07:48 AM
cystic ovary

I have had ovarian cysts, too. I had a pelvic sonogram prior to a D&C, and there was a cyst on the left ovary. I had a follow up sonogram about a month or two later, and the cyst on the left ovary was gone, but there was one on the right ovary. I had another follow up sonogram a month or two later, and there were no cysts on either ovary. It seemed as though these cysts were related to ovulation. During my hysterectomy, the doctor removed a cyst from the right ovary. (I kept both ovaries.) The cyst he removed had blood in it. The doctor said if this cyst had been picked up on a sonogram, the blood would have been seen as "debris" which would indicate a need for further medical intervention. Maybe your cyst will disappear! Good luck!
Unread 07-22-2003, 03:10 PM
cystic ovary

Thank you so much for your post. At work today one of the girls said having a cyst wasn't a big deal and I should be able to "deal" with it. Easy for her to say since she doesn't have the pain!! I am scheduled to go back to the dr. on Thurs. to see what he says. I was told everything by another dr. on duty.
I had asked my dr to leave my ovaries and he said he would if they were functioning. But, at surgery he said they were up real high and it would have been a more extensive surgery to remove them, that they were not functioning. I had been on hrt even before surgery for menapausal symptoms. After surgery he kept me on estrogen only and I have felt fine, no menapause problems. NOw, this cyst! I would rather it be that than what I thought it was. I thought from working (dog groomer) I had undone the bladder repair. Work has been hard at times, the dogs are heavy to work on even when someone picks them up for me. I am back to working full time and grooming eight dogs a day. Too bad retirement is so far away!!! Thanks again for all your help!
Unread 07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
cystic ovary

You're very welcome. One other note as far as my cysts were concerned. I had no pain with these cysts and would not have known I had them other than having them picked up on the sonograms. I'm sorry yours are painful. Good luck.
Unread 07-22-2003, 05:16 PM
cystic ovary

I have a cyst on my left ovary, and its size is always different. Around ovulation it gets big and painful. Then it shrinks again and doesn't bother me. Many times cysts act up according to hormones.

As long as they don't hurt so bad as to interfere with your daily life, I don't think most doctors will do anything about them.

You may want to consider how the HRT affects the cyst also.
Unread 07-22-2003, 06:00 PM
cystic ovary

i had a total hyst done. but i remember my surgean telling me he prefers to remove the ovaries if a woman is beyond child bearing age because he has seen to many women whohave insisted on keeping their ovaries come back to have more surgery afterwards to remove them because of problems. many women do not want to have their ovaries removed though if they are not causing problems. i personally insisted on having everything removed. i felt more at ease with my decision. everyone is different. its a personal choice.
Unread 07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
cystic ovary

The only way the doc could tell if the ovary was dead was when he took it out of me. I have had recurring cysts on the right side so he took both out on me. When he opened me up for the hysterectomy he had to start with the right ovary becasue it had a 10 cm. cyst growing right in the ovary itself and was ready to rupture. If I were you I would ask for the ovaries to be out. Even if he leaves one it it still can produce endo and cysts. Infact it can cause more do to the fact that it is working overtime and to tell you the truth why would you want the worry of it coming back. I am 1 week post op and feel like a million dollars. I am on hormone replacement and I have never felt better yaaaaaaaahooooooo . Plus I have NO hot flashes!!!
Unread 07-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Re: cystic ovary

Quote:
Originally posted by Debmar2c
Good evening ladies! I had my surgery done April 24 and had a relatively easy recovery. My problem occured the weekend of the fourth of July. I started having pain in my left side and had the urgency to urinate. I self medicated with Uristat thinking I had a urinary infection and called my doctor that Monday. She saw me that day and they did a urine culture. Everything turned out negative. So, she sent me off for a pelvic sonogram and I was told that I have a cyst on my ovary that was left. I didn't have my ovaries removed only because the dr. said they were high up and would have been a more extensive surgery. According to him they are not funtioning and I am on HRT. Has anyone else had this problem? I see the dr. again on Thursday... will I just be told "oh well". I never had this problem before my surgery. It is very frustrating!!! Hope to hear from someone with some encouraging news. Thanks!

Surgery done on April 24 TVH with bladder repair.
Hello Debmar2c,

Cysts are very common and usually nothing to worry about.
My concern is the symptoms that took you to your GYN, the pain and the urgency to urinate.
Their are many good replies in this thread as in regards to different ways the Dr can treat the cyst, ie: injections etc.

I would want more information from your Dr though since this appeared after the hyst. and you are on HRT. Don't let her back out of it without explaining to you why the cyst is there.

When you say pain, on what level would you describe the pain on a scale of 1-10?
Severe pain, say a 8-10 could suggest a twisted ovary or the cyst burst. [if the cyst has burst of course it would not show up now on sonogram]
Also ask for the size of the cyst. I believe anything under 4 cm is considered normal. Anything over 5 -> cm usually they remove.

Write out a few questions to take with you to ask.

Let us know what you find out. Chances are very high you have nothing to worry about.

Push the DR until you feel you are content with your questions answered.

Best wishes on a good report.

Debbie [withope]

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.