HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Skin Tenderness Around Stomach Skin Tenderness Around Stomach

Unread 07-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Skin Tenderness Around Stomach

HELLO.

I had my hyster done on July 1st. Everything went okay and I got the staples removed after 8 days. I don't have much pain but in the last week or so I have felt a tenderness on my skin.

The area right around my stomach feels tender. It does NOT feel like a muscle soreness underneath, instead the skin itself is tender. When it feels that way I dont like any bed covers or my gown on it. I pull my gown up and try to keep the sheets off that area.

I was taking Ibuprofen and Codeine for pain. But I am afraid of the Codeine because it is addictive. I went to see my doctor and he really did not explain the reason for this soreness. He just gave me an RX for Darvocet for pain which makes me sleepy. I am tired of drugs.

Thanks A Lot,

Hardie.
Unread 07-24-2003, 06:11 AM

I don't have an explanation, but I have the same problem, hopefully some sister will come around with a solution soon.
Unread 07-24-2003, 06:17 AM

I don't have an explanation either but I had my hysterectomy on June 30th and have the same problem. It is worse at the end of the day for me. Seems to be better in the mornings.
Unread 07-24-2003, 06:26 AM

Hardie,
I had the same thing. I asked a nurse a t my Dr.s office and she said it's from the nerves reconnecting and all the healing going on.
Have you tried sleeping with a pillow under your knees? That helped me alot. Laying flat pulls too much!
Hope this helps
Heather
Unread 07-24-2003, 06:42 AM
We all need a little Tenderness...

Hi there~
If it helps, I replied to a thread under "That's not swelly belly" which may help to shed some light on your question, as I too (still) experience tenderness. Ultimately it will be that way for a while - and occasionally your scar will itch or have a buring sensation.
Even happened to my Mom who had open heart surgery back in November - and says her scar area is still itchy & tender... Heck, I had arthroscipic knee surgery back in '81 and the little areas where the scar holes are- still itch every now & again.
Kind of a numb feeling too, right? That would be scar tissue, if I'm not mistaken. Don't forget what great muscles we have - that had to get pushed aside & all over the place for our TAH's.... Check out that thread if you can find it, cuz I wrote about a conversation I had with a young mom (C-section) and what she had to say....
Happy healing!
Unread 07-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Me too, me too, me too!!!

Thank goodness, I thought I was on my own with this one!

It's the middle of winter here, and freezing, but at night I'm finding it very painful having the blankets touching my tummy. It's not the area with the stab wound (which is a little painful but not too bad), it's the area between my belly button and the incision that's so-o-o-o-o-o sore.

Any theories or advice would be most welcome.

And thank you Hardie for asking the question.

Cath
Unread 07-24-2003, 08:08 AM
RE: Tenderness

Hi, I'm at 5 weeks post-op. Does anyone feel heat at the incision and on upper legs? This is really weird. My incision looks fine. I don't have a fever. I feel ok in the mornings, then in the afternoon after going out on a small outing or lunch...I feel a burning, pulling sensation on my incision and my legs are hot. My feel stay really cold????????? Anyone have any ideas on this one? I go for my 6 week check up next week. I was hoping this isn't a circulation thing in my legs. I do sit a lot when I am home, but I also move around alot too. HELP!! Thanks!
Unread 07-24-2003, 08:14 AM

I'm about 4 wks post op and I too have "hot legs". i just thought it was another part of my hormone adjustment phase as I have not had any fever.
My DH and I laugh about it because I'm skinny and I've always been the one putting my ice feet on his legs for warmth.
Unread 07-24-2003, 08:17 AM

Bostonbabe

Just looked at your post (and profile)again and noticed we have same sugery date.
I am on oral estradiol 1.5 mg (upped from 1 mg after severe hot flashes.)
Unread 07-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Hi,

I had my TAH on July 10, I have not had the burning painful sensation yet...this time...he hee.

This is my second abdominal surgery, the first one was in april for a ruptured ovararian cyst. That time I did get to the "nerve regeneration" stage.

I used Neosporin with the pain killer in it. ( Do not use this, until the scabbing has started to fall off naturally) It seemed to help. I am using it already. I think it does more than just help with the pain, it can help to keep the incision area soft, so there is less pulling, and may even help with the amount of scarring ( I never made it far enough to see that...my surgeries were 10 weeks apart.)

good luck! the exact name of the Neosporin is : "NEOSPORIN + Pain RELIEF" Send someone to town!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.