HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pain under and around Belly Button Pain under and around Belly Button

Unread 07-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Pain under and around Belly Button

Hello everyone,
I had an abominal hysterectomy January 31 of this year. They took everything except my left ovary. Shortly after surgery (when some of the numbness wore off) I began having pains in my belly button area. I asked my gyn. about it but she said she'd never heard of pain in that area after surgery. So I thought that it must be something that happens occasionally and that I would recover from it. It has not gotten better, it is worse. There is the muscular pain around my belly button, but also an internal soreness when I press in the area. It feels sore. Sometimes eating hurts. I am not sure what this is. What organs are under the belly button that would cause this? I have IBS but have never experienced this before. Could it be because of some of the medication I'm taking (Naprosyn 500 mg 2x a day since surgery, occasional Vicodin)? I go to see my GP tomorrow (a new doctor) but I'd like anyone's thoughts on this before I go.

Thanks!

Melody
Unread 07-24-2003, 01:47 PM

((((Melody))))) I'm so sorry you're having all this pain since your surgery

I don't know what could be causing this pain, sounds like some kind of internal bruising. I also have IBS and I've never had pain like the one you describe from it. However, since my hyst, the IBS has caused some bowel spasms that result in a lot of pain in the lower right abs... so you never know

I'm relieved that you're seeing a new doctor tomorrow. Hopefully, he/she will be able to shed some on what is going on and is causing this pain.

Sending lots of healing s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 07-24-2003, 02:37 PM

Melody,
Are you swollen when you feel the pain??? Where is your incision located?? The reason I ask about the incision location is that when I had the hyst the doc used the same incision that I had from a laprotomy and that incision had moved up to directly below my belly button. I have alot of GI problems and when my would swell I would feel alot of pain in the belly button area.

I had an incision revision 2 years ago and my incision is now below my bikini line and I no longer have pain in the belly button area. I think my pain was related to nerves.

There could be many reasons for the pain, definetly worth talking to the about. Do let us know what the doc says.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.