HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hysterectomy scar Hysterectomy scar

Unread 07-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Hysterectomy scar

Although it's been 20 months since my hysterectomy, I still have a 5 1/4" dark pink, vertical scar that is slightly raised. Are there any other long-term post op hystersisters who still have scars? Does anyone know of a non-surgical method to reduce the appearance of the scar?
Unread 07-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Hysterectomy scar

I'm at 28 months. My scar is horizontal (bikini cut) but it has always been slightly raised. I tried the OTC Mederma, but I found myself forgetting to put it on and it says it can take months to reduce the scar. I just finally gave up on it. However in the last few months or so, I've been noticing that there is less of a raised area on it. Maybe it just takes time. That's the only thing I've tried.
Take care!
Unread 07-25-2003, 04:49 PM
myofascial therapy helped scar

My bikini line scar is thin, white and mostly soft (although I have a little fibrinolysis (thick tissue from internal scarring below the scar.) I was recommended by a friend -- one of the foremost pelvic surgeons in the country -- to get myofascial therapy as soon as I was healed up enought. So that I did (thanks, Deb!) Lots of certified massage therapists (CMTs) have this additional training. Thankfully, mine did. I know some people who practice cranial sacral therapy who also have this training--bacially anyone who studied any form of bodywork might. Anway, she places her hands on either side of the scar and ever so subtly moves them in such a way that releases the tissue underneath. It lasted about 30 minutes and was soothing mentally as well as to my abdominal region. I had this about a month after my surgery, and then a few weeks later. I plan on going for about three more treatments. My surgeon and radiologist both said I healed exceptionally well. Myofascial therapy is good for any kind of scar, my CMT tells me. She's done it for mastectomy patients too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.