HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 07-31-2003, 06:51 AM
Tummy pillow

Hi everybody,

This is my first HOUR on this site but what a godsend! I have ovarian cancer and will have my surgery on August 13th.

I'm busy reading but can't figure out what this 'tummy pillow' is for. (obviously I'm pre-op!) Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

pambam
Unread 07-31-2003, 07:28 AM
Tummy pillow

Hi Pambam,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

A tummy pillow is primarily used by ladies who have abdominal surgeries. When you get up or down, cough, sneeze, , laugh, or otherwise have to do anything that puts pressure on the tummy, you hold it firmly against the incision for support. They're also used to place between your tummy and the seatbelt on the ride home from the hospital.

A tummy pillow is about the size of a travel pillow. There is a cute tummy pillow/tote bag combination at the Hyster Sisters store, or you can buy or make your own. Some ladies even use stuffed animals for tummy pillows.

s,

Lisa
Unread 07-31-2003, 09:11 AM
Tummy pillow

PamBam

Hi THere! Hyster Sisters is the best site for dialogue. You will find it useful to get on the Cancer Concerns forum on it.

Best of lick to you
Unread 07-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Tummy pillow

Ditto what Shashi said, but I will add that I use the tummy pillow every time I ride in the car, just in case hubby has to slam on the brakes or make any other sudden maneuver.
Unread 07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Tummy pillow

Hi there, I also use a tummy pillow and had my hysterectomy vaginally. Things are pretty sore inside and any strain on the abdomen can add extra ouchies.

Take care
Jodi
Unread 07-31-2003, 12:18 PM
It really helps

I had abdominal surgery six years ago and used a hospital pillow against my abdomen for about two weeks. I walked everywhere with it, and I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I totally didn't care! While this sounds bad, it isn't the case - I used a tummy pillow because I was afraid (unjustifyably so) that my insides were going to fall out! After a while I think it was more of a "special" pillow than a necessity.

If you're having an abdominal incision, the pillow/totebag/thank you cards is a great bargain. Good luck, and here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Meg
Unread 08-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm now looking around the house for a tummy size pillow.

How does everyone get these cute little graphics in their posts?

Thanks,

pambam
Unread 08-01-2003, 11:59 PM
tummy pillow/tote bag

Does the tummy pillow/tote bag come with the pillow inserted in the tote bag or do i still need to buy a travel pillow?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.