HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

laparoscopy/D&C laparoscopy/D&C

Unread 08-05-2003, 10:27 AM
laparoscopy/D&C

Needing some comfort here. My doctor has decided to do a laproscopy and a D&C before we make a decision on the Hysterectomy. He told me due to my age (31) he has to try this first. I totally appreciate this but he didnt seem real positive that this would help any of my problems. So now I have to go through possibly two different surgeries. Most of my pain is during my periods and during intercourse. My uterus is tipped backwards and in the way during intercourse. I guess I am just nervous about having to go through possibly more than one procedure even though I keep telling myself maybe this will prevent me from having a hysterectomy. Anyone out there go through this? Thanks.
Unread 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Carol LapO and D&C

Hi Carol....
I understand what your going through ... back in 1994 they were going to do a HestO on me. But they decided to do the laproscopy and D&C instead. It worked for awhile, but now I am here haveing a TAH ... I now have everything they removed back then + cervical cancer. I am in no way saying you have it.. I just hope the D&C works on you. And you don't have to have another surgery ....
I wish they would have followed through and did the HestO on me back then. Then I wouldn't be here haveing cervical cancer and another surgery .. Your in my prayers
Good Luck to you ( I was about your age back then to)
Enjoli
P.S I don't know if you have endometriosis, but my Dr. that is doing my surgery. Told me you can't rid endometriosis with just scrapeing the uterus, it grows back in time. And then it has to be totally removed by a hestO ... he was right!! You have to make the choice, if you want to have the D&C or a HestO Talk to your Dr. again, or get a 2nd opinion....nobody likes surgery but ... If it were me I think you know what I would do. nO need for 2 surgerys .... I also have a tipped uterus from haveing a c-section 21 years ago ...
Unread 08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks

Thank you for your reply. My DR did say the same thing that this would be a temporary fix if it did any good at all. So, I do believe he feels I need a Hysterectomy but he is big on the age thing. I see him tomorrow so I will talk more with him. I am just tired of feeling like dirt. Good luck to you.
Unread 08-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Hard Decision I know

Hi Carol ...
I know it's a hard decision to make, but I am sure you will make the right one for you. I am finished haveing kids and have been since my last child was born. He is now 21, and I am so tired of the pain each and every month. If I would have known that all of this grows back, I would have insited on having the HestO in 1994.. I hate the thought of takeing hormones, but this weekend'S visit from Aunt Flo was enough for me .. I can't spend the rest of my life hemorrhaging for weeks on end, and the pain of cramping, ect. Now I don't have a choice, it's been made for me ... But I would have asked to have one anyway.... I know it's the right and the best thing to do for me .. I have already had the night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings in 1994 I am pre-menO ... So I know what to expect after this surgery. I will just go with the Flo
((NO PUN INTENDED)) Now all I have to worry about is not losing my sex drive .. Everything else will be removed includeing the cervical cancer That sets my mind at ease .... Good Luck on your decision
enjoli
Unread 08-05-2003, 12:28 PM

I am so happy you are about to end all your pain. You poor thing. I am so glad that I will not have to wait (hopefully) as long as you had to. My girlfriend just had a full hysterectomy last fall and she is my age and she said it was the best thing she ever did. She is taking a low dose of HR and has had no problems. She feels great. She had to beg her doctor for 4 years before they would do the surgery and then after they did the DR apologized saying she had no idea how bad she really was until she saw inside her uterus. Go figure!!! So good luck to you and I am excited for you. Take care and keep me posted on how you do.
Unread 08-05-2003, 01:22 PM
laparoscopy/D&C

I had a laproscopy & D&C on 4/30. The Dr. would have done a hysterectomy then, but we had not discussed it, so he did not have my permission to do it. So after another sonogram and several months - didn't want to do it earlier due to DD#2's wedding on 7/19 - I am having my surgery on 8/13.

I hope the D&C works for you. I had it done on Wednesday and back to work on Monday. After the two laproscopies my scar looks like a bumblebee. I'm 48.

Good luck.

Patricia

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.