HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

HRT or not HRT after total hysterectomy? HRT or not HRT after total hysterectomy?

Unread 08-07-2003, 07:23 PM
HRT or not HRT after total hysterectomy?

Perhaps you could help. I'm not sure if I want to take hormones after my total hyst. Are hormones medically necessary or are they to relieve symptoms? How long do the symptoms last? and what can I expect? Will I murder my spouse?

Thanks!
mcnibby
Unread 08-08-2003, 12:31 PM

Mcnibby,
We are all so different that it is hard to say what your experience will be. Some women don't have any symptoms, others get them full force immediately!

Whether or not to take hrt is a personal choice and one that only you and your doctor can make. I do take hrt and am doing very very well on it. Hrt does do more than just alleviate the symptoms of the menopause. Although with all the new info, the decision hasn't been made any easier for us. You will find lots of good information in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

Should you choose not to take hrt we do have a forum here called The No Hormone Desert Oasis for those ladies who choose not to or can't take hrt. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...?s=&forumid=34

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery and on your hormone decision.
Unread 08-08-2003, 01:46 PM

Hi, Mcnibby!

First of all, let's just say that I had a TVH and am very thankful for HRT. I had awful sweating episodes, not to mention uh...........PPPPPPPPPPPMS symptoms, considering I had no ovaries, PMS was quite a feat, huh?

Anyway, I would really discuss your options with your doctor. It took me about 6 months to get my hormones balanced, and then I felt so much better than even several years before the surgery!

God bless you, and let us know how you're doing

Blessings,

Pam
Unread 08-08-2003, 07:28 PM

Hi, mcnibby!
I'm so glad you asked this question! I'm very confused about this whole thing too...HRT or NHRT, that is the question. I'm am 35 and will have both ovaries removed with my hyst (sometime in Nov.). My doctor is insisting on HRT due to my age, my MIL (who went through non-surgical menopause) is strongly opposed to my touching the stuff. Bottom line, I know it's my decision - just as it is yours - and we'll make the right one after reading, researching, and talking to others as much as we possibly can. I sure would be interested in hearing what you’ve decided to do and how you physically feel afterward, so keep in touch. Good luck to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.