blood clot anyone??? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

blood clot anyone??? blood clot anyone???

Unread 09-25-2000, 09:24 PM
blood clot anyone???

I had my tvh with lots of repair work done of 9-6 and have been doing awsome! No problems at all except with bladder, which is clearing up. I am almost three weeks post op and tonite while taking it easy and watching tv, my hand felt sore, I rubbed it and there was a knot that was risen and blue. It also parted with the vein in my hand. I am thirty and freak out. I called the doc who said that it was probally nothing. He suggested I go see general doctor tomorow, that post surgical clots are a concern if in legs, that this is where my iv was. It is in that general area, but the iv was out two and a half weeks ago, the bruising was gone, no sign of the puncture wound or anything. I am really worried about this. I have been knitting and I know the place has not been there, four days ago you could not even tell where the iv had been. Help anyone??
PR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2000, 05:30 AM
blood clot anyone???

PR,

I had a knot in the vein where my IV was, it appeared a couple of weeks after surgery. It was about an inch up from where the IV was inserted into my hand. Doctor said it was common and that it is aggravation in the vein from the IV. I was told to put warm heat on it a few times a day. It took quite awhile but it did finally go away.

If you are truly concerned about it then it is probably a good idea to let your doctor take a look at it.

I hope that you get some answer as to what it is.

Take Care.
Unread 09-26-2000, 06:12 AM
blood clot anyone???

PR, I had one of those knots after my IV was removed, but because this is new and wasn't there before I agree that you might want to have a doctor look at it. Several years ago my brother had a clot in his arm, and the doctor just told him to take aspirin daily and kept an eye on it. He said clots in the arm aren't usually a threat. Any problems with clots in the leg are serious, though, especially when they're located above the knee. When in doubt, PR, it's always a good idea to see the doctor. Best wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2000, 12:10 PM
blood clot anyone???

Thank you so much! I was freaking out last night, my poor hubby thought I had lost my mind, I was marking the clot with a magic marker so I could tell if it moved! lol. I went to primary doctor today who said that it was hard and must be from injury to vein during iv. I know it wasnt there though, because it was tender for a few hours and I kept rubbing the spot and then boom there it was. He said that in all his years of medicine, and he is seventy, that only once had he had a clot in the arm area move though. That asprin, warm compress and soaking it was what I needed to do, sounds like what you all said, thankyou so much!
Penny P.R.
Unread 09-26-2000, 12:43 PM
blood clot anyone???

PR,

Glad to hear that you went to the doctor and that he relieved your worries. When in doubt, it is always best to check with your doctor.

Best wishes on your continued recovery.
Unread 12-17-2000, 12:26 PM
blood clot anyone???

Hi ...

I know this post was quite old but it sounds exactly like what Im experiencing. I too have a knot which is very sore and puffed up about an inch above the IV site. I had a bad experience with the IV...it wasnt going into my vein and my whole arm up to my shoulder swelled up very badly before the stupid nurses finally changed it. Well my upper arm underneath was swolen for nearly 2 weeks after surgery from that darn IV and finally it went away. Well now I have that knot on my wrist....and what really concerns me most is that farther up my arm near my elbow I have two smaller marble sized knots about an inch apart. Hmmm....could it be blood clots? Guess after reading these posts on this thread I should call my dr. and ask about it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register