HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

acne after menopause acne after menopause

Unread 09-23-2003, 06:18 PM
acne after menopause

Hi Girls.....my question is merely vanity driven. Am I the only one suffering from terminal acne?
My biggest hope from my hysterectomy other than being pain-free is that I wouldn't have to suffer from acne.
I am on Premarin0625. I have used retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, pro-active. I alone could end the shortgae of oil...ok I might be stretching the truth a bit. But at 44 I think that I should be using moisturizers on my skin instead of acne treatment.
I am so self conscience about this. I guess I should be blessed for the oily skin....I look much younger than 44....but still I never want to leave my home.
Does anyone have advice...something I could do that won't involve a major investment of money on a product that doesn't work?
Thanks Much!
Vicki
Unread 09-23-2003, 06:36 PM
acne after menopause

I take Saw Palmetto and have notice a wonderful improvement.
If I forget to take it even one day I notice the increased amount of oil. I have not had one major zit since starting it.

I only take 1 tab(160mg)
I have seen the average dose is 2 tabs or (320mg)

I always start out at the lowest dose to avoid any possible reactions.

BTW..I had a total and I am not on any HRT.

Good Luck,
Patty
Unread 09-23-2003, 07:52 PM
acne after menopause

Dear Sister,
I am also reverting back to my teenage years since I started Estrogen therapy. I have always had oily skin, acne problems from teen years to late 30's. I guess it was finally getting under control with my advanced age (I'm 47) until I started on the Estradiol 5 weeks ago. Even my butt broke out! Isn't that gross! I called the Dr. and he Ok'd me to cut the dose in half (from 1 mg. to 0.5 mg) last week and that has seemed to help some. On top of everything else we have to endure in this recovery phase. I've always been self-conscious about my complexion to begin with that this kind of took me by surprise. We are not being vain, just trying to keep our self-esteem up. I have my 6 week check-up tomorrow with the , so I'll see what he says. In the mean time good luck.

Mary
Unread 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM
acne after menopause

Could be rosacea. Totally different treatment plan. A good dermatologist or better yet an allergist could diagnose it for you. Mine did when I started back on my allergy shots. All the high powered doctors I go to all the time and my little meek allergist knew it right off-didn't even go to her for the problem.
Good luck,
Bettye
Unread 09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
acne after menopause

Yikes!

I was hoping MY acne would get better after the surgery since I thought it was caused from hormonal issues (menstral cycles).

It hasn't changed at all but it hasn't gotten any better either. I was put on hormone therapy at my three week post op visit. My doctor increased it from .3 to .6 (Menest) when my became worse. Feeling so much better now except for the acne.

My face tends to be dry so oil is not the culprit either.

's

Cindee
Unread 09-24-2003, 07:52 PM
acne after menopause

Quote:
Originally posted by hormoneless
All the high powered doctors I go to all the time and my little meek allergist knew it right off-didn't even go to her for the problem.
Good luck,
Bettye
My allergist is the one who got me my first ultra sound.
His blood work showed internal infection/bleeding.

First sign of endo taking over!!
I happened to break out in hives because of it!

Go figure!
Unread 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
acne after menopause

how bizarre!!! The body is amazing!!! My mother inlaw had hives for almost a year. Her surgeon said lets do a complete w/u in the hospital including a colonoscopy and found colon cancer. Did surgery, no chemo, hives gone!! Wait til I tell her this one!!
Hope things are better now!
Bettye
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:04 PM
acne after menopause

I have had problems with acne since age 15. As I got older the breakouts lessened, but the oil kept flowing. I always said that I have so much oil on my face that you can butter bread with it.

I did notice that my face is much more oilier than before the surgery. I haven't found anything to control the oil yet, but I'm looking.

I'll be 41 soon, so I guess having excess oil hasn't been a total waste since I don't look "my age".
Unread 09-27-2003, 01:05 PM
acne after menopause

I just weaned myself off the Premarin .625 and my skin has miraculously cleared up!!! In fact, I feel sooooo much better without that darn Premarin!

Kajsa

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.