HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How to soften stool? How to soften stool?

Unread 09-24-2003, 07:57 AM
How to soften stool?

Perhaps not related to my surgery, I've now developed hard stool.

I'm going, but struggling. Taking psyllium husk tablets (metamucil tablets) and two heaping teaspoons of bran every day.

So logic would tell me to add a stool softener as well.

But geez, should I have to take all this gunk just to be somewhat regular?

I am going to see my doc tomorrow, as I've got this left side pain with this as well.

Littlebear
Unread 09-24-2003, 10:07 AM
How to soften stool?

I just replied to your other post and I guess this one answered one of my questions. Please mention to your dr the bowel problems. Maybe do a search on IBS to see if you have any other symptoms of it.

Please let us know what the dr says
Unread 09-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Pain/bowels

Thanks for the reply.

Pain has been for four days now. The irregular bowel thing has been on and off for about 5 weeks. Been doing some research and aware it could be IBS.

Headed to my primary tomorrow. Never hurts to check these things out.

Hugs all around, and good health to all!

Littlebear
Unread 10-02-2003, 05:24 AM
stool softner post opt and beyond

Little Bear, Depending on exactly how and when this problem started it may be and most likely is due to your surgery,( and recently by the psylium you are unknowingly taking to help, when in fact it is making things worse) and the changes brought about by the surgery to your internal system.

The things you say you are taking are, frankly the worst for helping this problem. My friend that provided me with the squash part of finding a solution to post opt constipation told me her mother was "impacked" with the psylium and bran she had taken for YEARS for bowel "trouble" , as her mothers doctor told her using psylium is like eating wood shavings. Just clogs up the works.

I had my hyster in April 2002, and have also since had a recent hernia operation, and so while by no means an expert on slow bowels or after surgery constipation, I would like to offer the "secret formula" that worked for me.

This was by far more effective than any of the "usual" remedies for softening stool. Trouble is you must like yellow squash, which I do. I suppose any squash might work, but I can only speak from what I have tried. crooknecked yellow squash.

I have had many doctors suggest "roughage" in the form of salad, raw vegetables, only to find those and those suggestions of prunes or prune juice made the problem WORSE. Prunes seemed to only create severe gas and painful bloating.

Here then is my version of what works and what makes it worse.

Not effective of makes matters worse:

Sulfax- may not hurt, could work, but often doesn't - also VERY expensive as is colace and other "slow working" stool" softners

Any of the fiber type solutions or drinks, psylium hulls, prunes or other similar "raw" roughage or unnatural over the counter solutions.

Fast acting laxatives can create diareah and put a stress on the bowels and are also addictive- therefore not recommended by me

Here is what DOES work

cooked yellow squash- combined with butter or margarine

LOTS and I mean lots of water - I use cheap bottled and put lime, vanilla, rosemary or mint in it for flavor (as surgery always makes me VERY thirsty this isn't hard to drink four or more regular individual sized bottles a day) This works to "lubricate the intestines and also flushes out the codine constipating effects of many prescribed post opt pain medications.

If the above two fail for some reason (they haven't ever let me down) then Phillips Milk of Magneasia (sp) , one big spoon full the night before you need to go will do magic in the morning, depending on the severity of the constipation you may have to take one spoonfull at bedtime for a few days. This combined with eating yellow, buttered heavily squash, and the water virtually guarentees the "plumbing clog" will ease.

I would also suggest Gas x or some gas reliever for patients immediately post opt as the gas used to inflate us for surgery tends to linger and get in the way of "natural bm's" further down the road.

Also remember it might take a few days after surgery for one to feel good enough to sit and HAVE a bm, the body naturally "protects" against hurt, and with all that is done during surgeries, hysters, in particular some of the "shock and pain" must subside for the spincter, vaginal and other muscles to WANT to work or to have to exert any pressure "down there" so patience is the key on this.

By eating the squash, drinking the water and if needed the Phillips soon after surgery, you are doing advanced prep to avoid constipation and then are "ready" when the body isn't so sore, and is ready for the "ordeal" of the first BM.

Also, as tempting as it is to eat heavily after fasting pre surgery, I have found eating "lighter" is key to an easier first post opt bm.

Hope this helps others and I haven't been too graphic.
Unread 10-02-2003, 05:34 AM
stool softner post opt and beyond

Little Bear, Depending on exactly how and when this problem started it may be and most likely is due to your surgery,( and recently by the psylium you are unknowingly taking to help, when in fact it is making things worse) and the changes brought about by the surgery to your internal system.

The things you say you are taking are, frankly the worst for helping this problem. My friend that provided me with the squash part of finding a solution to post opt constipation told me her mother was "impacked" with the psylium and bran she had taken for YEARS for bowel "trouble" , as her mothers doctor told her using psylium is like eating wood shavings. Just clogs up the works.

I had my hyster in April 2002, and have also since had a recent hernia operation, and so while by no means an expert on slow bowels or after surgery constipation, I would like to offer the "secret formula" that worked for me.

This was by far more effective than any of the "usual" remedies for softening stool. Trouble is you must like yellow squash, which I do. I suppose any squash might work, but I can only speak from what I have tried. crooknecked yellow squash.

I have had many doctors suggest "roughage" in the form of salad, raw vegetables, only to find those and those suggestions of prunes or prune juice made the problem WORSE. Prunes seemed to only create severe gas and painful bloating.

Here then is my version of what works and what makes it worse.

Not effective of makes matters worse:

Sulfax- may not hurt, could work, but often doesn't - also VERY expensive as is colace and other "slow working" stool" softners

Any of the fiber type solutions or drinks, psylium hulls, prunes or other similar "raw" roughage or unnatural over the counter solutions.

Fast acting laxatives can create diareah and put a stress on the bowels and are also addictive- therefore not recommended by me

Here is what DOES work

cooked yellow squash- combined with butter or margarine

LOTS and I mean lots of water - I use cheap bottled and put lime, vanilla, rosemary or mint in it for flavor (as surgery always makes me VERY thirsty this isn't hard to drink four or more regular individual sized bottles a day) This works to "lubricate the intestines and also flushes out the codine constipating effects of many prescribed post opt pain medications.

If the above two fail for some reason (they haven't ever let me down) then Phillips Milk of Magneasia (sp) , one big spoon full the night before you need to go will do magic in the morning, depending on the severity of the constipation you may have to take one spoonfull at bedtime for a few days. This combined with eating yellow, buttered heavily squash, and the water virtually guarentees the "plumbing clog" will ease.

I would also suggest Gas x or some gas reliever for patients immediately post opt as the gas used to inflate us for surgery tends to linger and get in the way of "natural bm's" further down the road.

Also remember it might take a few days after surgery for one to feel good enough to sit and HAVE a bm, the body naturally "protects" against hurt, and with all that is done during surgeries, hysters, in particular some of the "shock and pain" must subside for the spincter, vaginal and other muscles to WANT to work or to have to exert any pressure "down there" so patience is the key on this.

By eating the squash, drinking the water and if needed the Phillips soon after surgery, you are doing advanced prep to avoid constipation and then are "ready" when the body isn't so sore, and is ready for the "ordeal" of the first BM.

Also, as tempting as it is to eat heavily after fasting pre surgery, I have found eating "lighter" is key to an easier first post opt bm.

Hope this helps others and I haven't been too graphic.
Unread 10-03-2003, 07:39 PM
How to soften stool?

I suffered horribly with constipation for about 2 yrs after my hyst...however, I am now finding out that it was more than likely coming from a tumor that was found recently in my sacrum...the S1....

anyway, what worked for me during this time, and I don't know why it worked but it did...was coconut...fresh coconut that I bought and cracked open.....I was told that this can be like a natures laxative sometimes...so I tried and was surprised that it worked for me.....when nothing else did...not even prescrip laxatives.....I also drank the coconut juice and then ate the coconut...I would eat a chunk or two every day.....

I don't know why I am not having as much trouble with it anymore....but this is what helped me...hope something helps you...it is not comfortable...bj

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.