HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long before steri-strips come off? How long before steri-strips come off?

Unread 09-26-2003, 02:01 PM
How long before steri-strips come off?

I am 11 days post op and most of my steri strips are trying to pull off. They are unattached on the tops and bottoms but attached to the incision. Do I pull them off or wait until they fall off on their own? Is it too soon for them to come off?

Thanks.

Cindy
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:12 PM
dont pull those.....

I know it is aggrevating...but dont pull those puppies off!!!!! Give time time and let them fall off!!! You will be glad you did!!You could pull your stitches out!!It is normal for you to have them this long when your body no longer requires them for healing ...they will fall off...Good luck in your healing!!
Kell Bell
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:26 PM

Hi Cindi,
My steri strips hung on for about three weeks, I kept trimming the edges to make them a little more comfortable. Please be careful not to pull them off if they are still attached to your incision. Good luck with your healing and remember to get lots of rest.

Felicia
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Steri-Strips

cindymc ...
Mine started to roll at the ends of them, the first week I kept the rolled parts clipped off ... as the incision heals they work their way off .. at 3 weeks I started rolling the real lose ones off ... I seen my Dr. and still had some on the ends of both sides, I asked him about them .. He said I could use some nail polish remover ((YUP)) or you can purchase some adhesive remover from the pharmacy ... Well instead I just rolled the rest of them off the other night ... they were pulling my skin and makeing it hurt where the hair was growing back in ... It didn't hurt and my incision is closed. So no harm was done there .. I feel so much better ..
He said they weren't needed once the outter incersion was closed and healed up ... and could be removed ....
Enjoli
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:03 PM

When I was discharged from the hospital the nurse told me that once they start to come loose that I could just pull them off. I think they started coming up around 7-8 days after surgery. I didn't have any outer stitches or staples. And I was fine. If you don't have any outer stitches I think it would be ok for you to take them off.

If you aren't sure talk to your dr's nurse.

Good luck.
Unread 09-26-2003, 04:06 PM

My doctor put on my steri-strips after I had my staples removed at 10 days. She told me that they should fall off in 2 weeks. They were still on at 2 1/2 weeks so I started pulling them off because they itched so bad. I pulled them off very slowly but I felt so much better once they were off.

Best wishes to you and Happy Healing.
Unread 09-26-2003, 05:50 PM

I had my staples out on third day after surgery. My doctor told me the steri-strips would start to come off on their own after a couple of weeks and that I could gently peel the ones with loose ends off. I sure felt better after they were off.

But, it probably wouldn't hurt to call your doctor to make sure it's okay for you.
Unread 09-26-2003, 07:04 PM

Hi Cindy, my steri-strips took quite a while to come off. Although my gyn said I could gently pull them off after the incision healed, since I did not know when it was "healed" (I will see my gyn for 1st time since op at the 6 week mark) I decided to let them come off themselves. As some others did, when edges came loose I would cut them. By week 3 when I was allowed to take a bath (luxury!) the strips started to loosen faster although it was not until week 5 that I finally had the nerve to peel off the remaining 2 straglers. Pls ask your doc what s/he recommends.
Unread 09-26-2003, 08:44 PM

had my staples out in a week...replaced w/steristrips...dr said they would come off on their own in 7-10 days or i could take them off then. It's been 7 days and they are still on there pretty good. i figured I'd leave them on until my nexy dr visit next wed
Unread 09-26-2003, 09:54 PM

At my first post op appt on day 8, they removed my staples and put on the steri strips. On day 10 post op I had another appt, and the dr himself removed the steri strips, saying that things looked great

Removing that tape residue (both from the steri strips and fm the tape that held my IV in and the cath in place) was pretty easy for me - I used WD-40 LOL I folded up a paper towel, sprayed it generously with the WD-40 and rubbed gently. It came off pretty easily and I had LOTS of tape residue LOL I then took a shower and was sure to clean the areas where I'd cleaned off the tape ick. You may not want to use WD-40, but I didn't want to use nail polish remover LOL

Have a great day!

Elissa

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.