HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

abdominal exercises after hernia repair abdominal exercises after hernia repair

Unread 09-26-2003, 05:44 PM
abdominal exercises after hernia repair

Well, here I am recuperating after my hernia repair surgery....and thought I would ask some advice from all you ladies on these boards. I recovered nicely from my TAH last year, but a month ago, I was turning over in bed, throwing a pillow at my cat, and grabbing a pillow at the same time, and I felt a tear/pull. In the morning(boy, was I mad at the cat) I was sore, but over the next few days I was increasingly uncomfortable. I went to my PCP, and she confirmed what I dreaded......Incisional hernia. My original incision was very long/high....about an inch above my belly button, and the hernia is just above that.

My fear now is that I will never be able to lift things, and always worry about reinjuring myself. So, I would love some suggestions to strengthen my abdominals so I can lessen the chance. I see my surgeon in 10 days, and will be asking her for a time frame as to when I can start exercising.

After having the TAH, I thought this surgery would be a piece of cake to recover from.......but it has surprised me as to how weak I feel, and how much this hurts!

Anyways, thanks for any advice you can throw my way,

Molly
Unread 09-27-2003, 05:29 PM

Hi Molly

I've never had a hernia so can't offer any advice from a personal perspective, but..........I did a search trying to find some information for you. Didn't come up with much, but if you go to the following site:

http://www.herniainfo.com/advances/call.htm

and scroll all the way down to the bottom (the entire page is questions and answers about hernias written in by people asking a doctor for advice)

there is a place where you can type in your question about hernias and they will answer it. I thought that might be of some help to you.

Good luck!

Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks!

Thank-you, Peachy-babe....it was a wonderful site with lots of info. I feel less alone knowing there are other peaple with hernia repair.

Today, 6 days post op from my hernia repair, I finally feel good enough to shower and get dressed. I slept last night on my side for the first time and that made a big difference. I have plenty of energy, but know that I better take it slow. Hopefully this will be the last surgery I will have to recover from!
Molly
Unread 10-23-2003, 03:52 PM

What a great hernia website that was!! I've been dragging my feet on hernia repair as I have lots of pelvic congestion also and am considering hernia repair while doing a hyst. Would rather do only hernia repair, IF that would take care of the pain. Can the inguinal hernia cause pain around hip and back? Guess I should ask that website Thanks for a very informative site!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.