HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

normal size vs abnormal size uterus normal size vs abnormal size uterus

Unread 09-27-2003, 06:32 AM
normal size vs abnormal size uterus

I was just wondering what anyone knows about what is a normal size for a uterus. I had an ultrasound, that said per the radiologist that my uterus was normal size. But the gyne said the uterus was enlarged because it was 11cm. I am supposed to have a vag hyst. MD also said if I want to keep cervix, I need to have an abdomial hysterectomy . I have read here about lap assisted ones. I am confused and thinking of getting a second opinion. MD also said I needed a rectocele and cystocele repair. All of this sounds very painful and time consuming. THanks for any and all opinions in advance.
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:39 AM
normal size vs abnormal size uterus

Hi Denice and welcome!

You ask about the normal size of a uterus ... here is a quote from the book "Fibroids: The Complete Guide to Taking Carge of Your Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Well-Being" by Johanna Skilling.

"The average uterus is 2 to 4 inches long, 1.5 to 2.5 inches wide, and 1 inch thick; it weighs about one-sixth of a pound or 50 grams, if you're metrically inclined. If you've ever been pregnant, your uterus may be on the larger end of those dimensions. Now remember, that's the size without fibroids, adenomyosis, polyps, or pregnancy..."

I'm not sure about the 11 cm figure that your gyn mentioned ...

Yes, in almost all cases where a hyst is performed vaginally the cervix is removed. If you choose to have an abdominal incision or a totally laparoscopic hyst you can keep your cervix (depending, of course, on your gyn's recommendations about the condition of your cervix, etc.)

As for rectocele and cystocele ... these are prolapse issues (rectum and bladder) that we see a lot of here at Hystersisters. I didn't have any prolapse problems so can't speak from personal experience, but we have some great resources listed at the top of this forum including some wonderful resources for prolapse. Here is the link to the list of resources ... be sure to scroll down to find the ones about prolapse

Resource Links

A second opinion is ALWAYS a good idea when you are considering major surgery. I encourage you to get at least one other opinion before making a final decision about surgery or other options. We'll do our best to provide support whatever you decide.

Beth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.