acrylic nails & surgery 10/20/03 !! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

acrylic nails & surgery 10/20/03 !! acrylic nails & surgery 10/20/03 !!

Unread 10-14-2003, 11:31 AM
acrylic nails & surgery 10/20/03 !!

Hi ladies

I have a question maybe somone can answer. Can I still have my nails done b4 I go to the castle or should I have them removed?? They will look so terrible and they always make me feel better. I know that they put on the "finger cuff" but do they really need to check for the color as they used to do?? I heard that they will also keep track by the color of my toenails??

only( 6) more days and I'm off to the castle . Seems the nights are getting longer and my sleep patterns have become so broken with all that is on my mind,..... get everything ready for home, and work, b4 I go, and get everything else ready for after the stay, be sure to make good meals & freeze, get DD clothes ready for school for a week, get all the cleaning done, clothes washed etc.. AHHHHHHHH

maybe I should just worry about (1) thing at a time (hahahha)

just wondering???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2003, 11:39 AM

hi there
I went today for my preop appt and I asked that very same question... I was told I could keep my nails(at the moment I have one that is broken) as long as they are clear. I think this varies for each hospital..not quiet sure I know this has been a subject here before.. I hope your as lucky as I am and get to keep them.

Good luck and best wishes
Unread 10-14-2003, 11:45 AM

I had my nails done (gel/acrylic) two days before surgery. They use a pulse oximeter device now now rather than just looking at your nail to see if there is enough oxygen in your blood. So it's not so big a deal anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2003, 11:49 AM
nails

Great, I hope I can keep them. I suppose I should call the hospital just to make sure

Thank for the input

Boomer
Unread 10-14-2003, 12:18 PM

dear Boomer,
It is a great idea to call the hospital and check.... they all have different rules.

Good think you thought about checking before getting there!!

best wishes
Unread 10-14-2003, 12:33 PM

I think it's a hospital preference. My instructions specifically state no polish unless it's a light color. Also says if you have acrylics that you don't have to have them removed, but to take off dark polish.
Unread 10-14-2003, 01:38 PM

My instructions were no nail polish, fingers or toes and no jewelry or valuables, no make-up. I looked awful!
Unread 10-14-2003, 01:45 PM

my pre op instructions said no make up, jewelry or nail polish. but I kept my red toenails and I was wearing little hospital sock booties anyway.
Unread 10-14-2003, 10:38 PM

I have really long natural nails (I take good vitamins LOL) and the length is what my problem was. They were incredibly long at the time of surgery and they had a difficult time getting the finger cuff on. I ended up needing to file one down, but only a little bit, just enough so that they could "just" get a reading I only went as far as I had to!

So when you're asking your dr's office if you can wear acrylics, you may want to also ask them about the length of nails (if you wear them long). It never occured to me that it might be a problem.
Unread 10-15-2003, 04:28 AM

Every hospital has different procedures, and this is the hospital's call not the DR's.

My pre-op instructions were written out and crystal clear: "Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery. You may wear contact lenses. Bring your case so that you can remove them before surgery. You will also be asked to remove dentures, partial plates, or other prosthesis (which would include nail extensions) before surgery." They did tell me I could keep my wedding ring on; they would tape it during surgery.

Just my own personal opinion: I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them something may be wrong then I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.

A manicure can be something to look forward to when you're a few weeks post op and needing some special pampering.

Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register