HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

does bloating go away after surgery? does bloating go away after surgery?

Unread 10-16-2003, 02:14 PM
does bloating go away after surgery?

I was just wondering if this bloating goes away after surgery? I know I do have excess fat, but there are days when my stomache is the size of someone who is at least 6 months pregnant and it is hard. Then other days it isn't hard and bloated so I know that this bloating is not normal and I am just wondering if it goes away and how long does it take?
Unread 10-16-2003, 02:30 PM

Yippeeeee I don't feel bloated anymore, but I still look a little swelly bellyish. I think how I feel is more important so I am a happy camper. My surgery was on Monday and monday night I was marvelling at how much better I felt.

The funny thing now is EVERYTHING I eat gives me beaucoup gas....but that's what simethicone is for....

So I think you should do a lot better< remember there is a lot of space being taken up with all sorts of nasties that will be gone when you have your surgery!

Here's hoping you will feel better soon

Dilu
Unread 10-16-2003, 03:55 PM

Sounds like this maybe constipation making you have swelly belly
Are you having regular bowel movements? If not, this maybe the reason you are swelled at times and feeling the hardness you describe.

I know before I began the regiment with Citrucel fiber tablets daily, after getting the MOM's to do the initial work; I've had less swelly belly these days.

Call your and get his advice as to why this is still occurring for you.

I hope it gets better for you
Unread 10-16-2003, 04:12 PM

I have had problems with constipation but lately it hasn't been bad but the pain has been bad, I remember that awful gas boy I am not looking forward to that, but isn't that usually just with the laproscopic surgery? Anyway I am glad to hear it does go away for the most part. Wow just a few days post op and already feeling better, congratulations, that's great.
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:16 PM

Yes, the bloated belly you're talking about pre-op should go away. I lost 7 lbs. immediatley after surgery. My Dr. said that's how big my fibroids were. Now that my swelly belly has gone down, my stomach looks like it used to. Last winter I was getting so bummed out cause my pants were so tight around my waist and I always had a "pouch". It was making me crazy! Well, now I what was going on.

Dianne
Unread 10-18-2003, 05:25 AM

I'm just past 3 months, post-op, but even a month ago my belly was a lot smaller than before surgery. I was told that my uterus was a 2-3 month size, so really not *that* big, compared to some, but it seems to have made a difference for me.
Unread 10-18-2003, 07:19 AM

Hi,

I had a bloated tummy too before surgery, as my uterus was the size of a 20-week pregnancy.

Immediately after surgery, my tummy was much, much flatter. I could actually see my toes again! However, soon after, swelly belly set in and lasted for several months.

I do see a big difference now, but still have swelly belly at times if I overdo it. (And I'm almost 17 months post-op!)

You may notice a flatter tummy, or you may have some surgical swelling which hangs around for awhile. Since we're all different, there's really no way that we can tell you for sure which it will be. But either way, you should eventually notice a difference.

Here's a link to swelly belly, if you want more information on it:

Swelly Belly, What it is, What it isn’t, and How to Get Rid of it

s,

Lisa
Unread 10-18-2003, 09:38 AM

I'm just over a week post-op. Swelling is almost nonexistent when I wake up but kicks in just above the incision about an hour after I'm up. Sort of like a little pouch. My glorious swelly belly band goes into place right then and there and is on and off all during the day. I had some gas swelling in my whole abdominal area for the first four days, but now it seems restricted to just swelling in the lower regions. I've kept control of the gas bloating with gas-x, but have had none of the swelling I had during my period since surgery. I'm prone to swelling a bit more if I get up and move around too much or sit up straight for too long at this point.

Kim
Unread 10-18-2003, 12:17 PM

Before my surgery, every single morning I would wake up with a very hard uterus - it was very much like the braxton-hicks contractions that are experienced during the last couple months of a pregnancy.

I had many fibroids, and my doctor said that the uterus might have been trying to expel one, with these contractions. (These contractions weren't exactly painful, but the big hard uterus was definitely bothersome and uncomfortable.)

I also couldn't lay flat on my stomach for the last couple of years; it was just too uncomfortable if I tried.

The good news: 8 weeks after surgery, it's a LOT better.
No regrets at all.

I can lay on my stomach now! I lost 5 lbs when they removed that cantaloupe, but many people have told me I look a lot thinner (I think this perception is because my stomach IS definitely flatter now.) I'm a petite person to begin with, so a 4-month pregnancy-sized uterus did "show".

Overall, I've been lucky and my recovery has been excellent -- but I was also careful to try to "do the right things". Don't get discouraged when your stomach still looks bloated for several weeks after surgery, though -- just keep walking every day

and try to eat the right things and get your rest,
and you'll see that the swelling does go down.
Unread 10-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Bloating

Hi Ladies..... I am now 8 weeks post op, I had a real big swelly belly for my size ... (4-5) I looked 6 months PG .... I started to lose the swelly belly after my 12th day ... I still had bloating, I used gas X but it didn't work for me. I used Malox it gave me relief. I tried the stool softners but ... nO dice .. I sent the D/H to the local store to pick up some tiny fleet enamas ... I used just one and with in 5 min I was getting relief .... it worked later that night. Then the following day, I was cleaned out. "O" did I ever feel better .... most of the bloating and the gaS was gone .... The same gas is used in a TAH, LapO D&C and lapO Gall Bladder Removal, I know I had all of them and had swelly belly on each of them ....
Enjoli

~*Mary B*~

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.