HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterectomy and Breast Reduction surgery at the same time Hysterectomy and Breast Reduction surgery at the same time

Unread 10-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Hysterectomy and Breast Reduction surgery at the same time

I have recently been informed that I need to have a hysterectomy due to fibroids causing heavy periods and anemia. My insurance also has recently approved surgery for a breast reduction. When talking to my gynocologist about my upcoming surgery, he suggested I have the hysterectomy and the breast reduction done at the same time. His reasons were being "under" just once and healing all at once. However, I just ordered "The Hyster Sisters Guide" and have realized what a major surgery this is. I knew this, of course, but I have only been thinking about my doctor's reasoning for having the surgeries at the same time. Have any of you done this before, or heard of anyone doing this before? The thought of both surgeries is very overwhelming to me, yet I wonder if I should heed the doc's advice. I don't know what kind of hysterectomy he is considering for me, the day of my appointment we were caught up in insurance approval and how we can manage these two surgeries at once. Being shocked and overwhelmed at the prospect of the hysterectomy I didn't think to ask. I did read, though, that any variation of a hysterectomy is major. I am open to any advice!
Unread 10-20-2003, 11:38 PM

My roomie was in for a breast reduction surgery only while I was in the Castle. She went from a 38DD down to a full size 34C. She was in the hospital 2 days and was sent home the day after I arrived.

She seemed to handle the surgery quite well. I remember her saying sponge baths for quite a while as a result of the surgery. She was taped quite well after the surgery and seemed to move about stiffly on the upper part of her body (her arms). But I'm sure that would be the case considering the surgery she had.

She seemed thrilled by the outcome and how things would be for her.

I can't give you advice on doing the two surgeries together. I can just relay what little I know from having a roomie who had the breast reduction done.
Unread 10-21-2003, 02:30 AM

I can understand the doctor's logic about only being under anesthesia once--but he IS a MAN right?

Personally, I would NOT want to do these two surgeries at the same time. Either one would be enough for me! Put the other off until next year.

I wanted to say I had the LAVH at the end of March. It took care of all the problems I'd been having for years-extreme pain and stresss--and I am totally happy with the results.

Mary W
age 48
Unread 10-21-2003, 02:52 AM

I would ask your plastic surgeon about this too. Get his viewpoint. Be up front with im about what you know your limitations will be with the hyst (maybe wait until you know which route the hyst will go too). Ultimately it is you decision but what if the platic surgeon definitely says no, it is too much. At my hospital the breast reductions go home that night or just stay over night, but it is getting fewer and fewer that stay over. Being put under once for anesthesia might be a good thing, but then they don'' always like long lengths of time under it either, I am just not sure on how long the two would take together. It also depends on the state of your general health. I hae seen a fair amount of patients that have both their gallbladders out and hyst at the same time.

Linda >^..^<
Unread 10-21-2003, 03:07 AM

I had a breast reduction in 1998. I remember being quite in shape at the time and had very good abdominal muscles. I needed them to sit up without using my arms!!! One half of your body but "unuseable" at a time would make sense to me. But, I agree, you should really ask your PS about this. He or she will probably know best considering it would be similar to having a tummy tuck and a breast reduction at the same time considering the muscles only because with an abdominal hyst you could be cut vertical or a horizontal bikini cut. Either way you are anxious to use your abs. I had a tummy tuck with my hyst and had my DH pull me up for the first couple days before the pain went down enough to handle rolling out of bed sideways and getting my feet down first.

TC
Unread 10-21-2003, 06:28 AM
RE: Breast reduction with Hyst.

Hi, I had a breast reduction 4 years ago and had a TAH/BSO in June of this year. I would NEVER suggest having them both at the same time. Both are major surgerys and require separate healing time. I couldn't even lift my arms to wash my hair or lift anything heavier than a milk carton for weeks. I came home with drainage tubes hanging out of each breast that I had to empty out a few times a day. It was very hard to sleep, etc..etc. The Hyst. has it's own set of problems. Very hard to get in and out of bed, up & down from the toilet, pain, no pushing or lifting, etc. I would rather have 2 separate surgerys at different times. You'll need all of your upper body strength when you have your Hyst. and you'll need your lower body when you have the breast reduction. Good luck with your decision, this is just my opinion since I had both done. By the way.....I'm SOOOO glad I did have both done! I went from a 38DDD to a C cup, and NO MORE PERIODS!!! Yay!!!!!!
Unread 10-21-2003, 07:05 AM
I had both done, but not at the same time....

I had a reduction two and one-half years ago. I woke up from recovery and I was in HORRIBLE pain. I had to repeat to myself that I was going to be glad I had this done three months from now (AND I WAS!). It did hurt pretty bad, but I was up and moving around pretty well by the third or fourth day.

With the hysterectomy, I had it done vaginally along with a rectocele and cystocele repair. I think I am having a harder time with this surgery. I lost a lot of blood and I am very tired. I have a hard time having BMs now where before I had diarrhea all of teh time starting when I had my gall bladder out years ago. I still have some trouble with constipation, but not as bad as when I first got home. My bottom is sore still after almost three weeks due to the stitches. I have no abdominal incisions, thank God.

I personally would not have done both at once. If I were to choose which one to do first, depending on your reasons for hysterectomy, I would go with the reduction first. Smaller boobs will make it so they are not in the way when you have your next surgery and you won't be slinging big ones around while you try to get comfortable not to mention that you can not wear a bra around the house and not look like you are going to start an earthquake with the giggling.
Unread 10-21-2003, 09:56 AM

Here go's...I am having a complete hystorectomy on the 30th...along with this I am having a tummy tuck, lipo, muscle tightening, and a breast lift, reduction on one side, and then implants to bring me back to what i was. Everyone who knows im getting this done thinks im absolutely insane. The way the dr's put it to me was...im gonna have the same pain i would have if i were to get it done seperately. This is the only thing keeping me excited about have the surgery, i just keep thinking im gonna come out of the surgery with no more terrible periods, and a better body. I may be crazy but when i want something i go for it all the way...

I dont know if this is gonna help...but i hope it dose

nikig
Unread 10-21-2003, 10:09 AM

Nikig..........God bless you when you go in for all of this .

That is one heck of a list of surgeries you are planning on having done. Though I wouldn't mind a breast lift myself , as they ain't sitting where they used to anymore .

I wish you the best of luck with this and hope it all turns out as you expect it to.

Unread 04-07-2005, 09:56 AM

Hi,
I just read your post about hyst and breast reduction I am facing the same thing and have decided to do both. What did you decide? Thanks

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.