HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

low sex drive low sex drive

Unread 10-24-2003, 08:59 AM
low sex drive

I am 39 yrs old and scheduled for TAH/BSO on 11/18. I have never had a very good sex drive...if i have a low sex drive now, how will it be after my hyst?
Is there hope for me that hormone replacement can give me a higher sd?
Unread 10-24-2003, 03:16 PM
low sex drive

There's really no way to tell. Many women have an improvement in their sex lives while others don't. Hopefully with the proper hormones and balance yours will return.
Unread 10-24-2003, 03:17 PM
low sex drive

Hi fullofhope Yes, there may be ... but please promise us that you will first focus on healing, and getting your estrogen balanced... and then look at the libido issue a little bit later, ok? It just plain works better if you do it that way.

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-24-2003, 07:07 PM
low sex drive

I hate to say it but I enjoyed sex better before, but thats just my own opinion. Lets just say its differant now, but I still love my honey more than ever for sticking with me thru this surgical menopause time because its no walk in the park hun. good luck!!!
Unread 10-25-2003, 05:07 PM
low sex drive

Thanks for responding, i guess it's just one of those things that i will have to wait and see how my body is going to be! All of this sure is scary!
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:34 PM
low sex drive

My drive was just fine before...had my abdominal Hystie one year ago on Halloween and drive has remained the same (which is a good thing) and my estrogene level is right on target and has been from day one-I was put on a patch immediately.

I say don't stress or obsess over any of it...the whole experience was so much better than the years of miscarriages and decade of infertility treatments that preceeded the surgery-life is so much more relaxed now b/c I don;t have to deal with any of it anymore.
Unread 10-26-2003, 07:35 PM
low sex drive

Yes your sex drive may be improved with hrt. You can use estrogen to help improve sex drive or testosterone, both of these may help increase libido. There are also other creams on the market that are not hormone based that may help with desire and sensation.
Unread 10-27-2003, 11:56 AM
low sex drive

thank you consultkristi! my dh would be so happy! and it would make my life a lot easier if i could find something to help me so that it's not just another chore that i have to do! (that is how i feel about it, and i would love not to feel this way)
thanks a bunch!
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
low sex drive

I have always had a low sex drive also so I can relate. After my hysterectomy I was hoping for a miracle but it didnt happen until I tried testosterone pills and wow. Then it was great. But I couldnt take those for ever. They did help alot though. I have to add that I was on antidepressants which adds to the low sex drive but when I stopped them I have never been so -well- sexually driven before, except when I was on testosterone. It is called andriol. This is just my experience. I have been post hyst for almost 5 years now. It took a long time to find out my problem, I hope it doesnt take you as long. Maybe your testosterone level has always been low? You never know. Luck to you.
Unread 10-28-2003, 01:31 PM
low sex drive

can you take testosterone and estrogen together? and would my doc have to prescribe that for me?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.