HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Lump in vein on top of hand from IV?????? Lump in vein on top of hand from IV??????

Unread 10-02-2000, 06:39 PM
Lump in vein on top of hand from IV??????

Hi ladies,
I am six weeks post-op and what a difference. I feel so much better, even from one week ago.

I have a question though that I have not seen posted. I went in on a Tues. morning and the doctor had decided to keep my IV in till Thurs. PM. The doctor was considering having me stay in the hosp. till Fri. However, the IV had begun to leak into my hand and it began to swell up Wed. evening so they decided to take it out then and I went home Thurs. because since I wasn't hooked up to anything any more there really was no reason for me to stay. Insurance dictates there has to be a reason for keeping me longer than 48 hours.

My question is......., now I have a lump in my vein on top of my hand, almost at my wrist. It is the size of a small pea and is tender but not as much as right after surgery, the doctor said for me not to worry about it and that it may or may not go away, he said it was a result of the IV, does any one else have this, did it go away, is it tender, do you have any better explanation for this than the brief one I got from the doctor?

Thanks, Donna

[Edited by Donna F. Morgan on 10-03-2000]
Unread 10-02-2000, 07:23 PM

My lump was gone in about 7-8 weeks. I tried not to touch it. It gave me the willies.
Unread 10-02-2000, 07:33 PM
I have this too

I am two weeks post hyst and I also have this exact sore spot on my hand. I asked my MIL who is a nurse and she said it was due to the IV and would probably clear up on its own. It is painful, especially when I accidentally bump it.
Good to know I am not alone,
Jennifer
Unread 10-02-2000, 10:08 PM
iv location lump

Hi Donna
I too had a lump on top of hand more in line with the base
of the thumb than at the wrist and it was on the vein lined up with my pinkie fingie. The vein felt as if it had been bent over and it had the tube for transfusion which thankfully I did not need. It bothered me for a good 6-7 weeks and then one day I noticed it was gone. Kinda scary because it really DOES feel tender. Good luck to you- I would think it should be going someday soon!
Julialynne Tah enterocele 7-24-00
Unread 10-03-2000, 09:44 AM

Donna
I am nearly 4 weeks post op and I still have the remmnants of that lump. My dr told me it was common after surgery and to use warm moist compresses on it and keep taking motrin or ibuprofen. My iv nurse was an idiot and put mine in wrong, that's why it infiltrated. It was very sore for a while but is a lot better this week.
Unread 10-03-2000, 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I feel better about it now since it seems to be so common. I hope it goes away soon though.
Thanks again. Donna
Unread 10-04-2000, 08:17 AM
Help for the Vein Problem

I too have the painful swollen vein. This is the second time this has happened to me. I suggest you all ask your docs about a specially compounded cream called "Ketoprofen 10% gel". My primary wrote an RX for this and the first time I used it the vein got better pretty quickly. I am using it again, 3 times a day (rubbed on the vein).

It is a topical anti-inflammatory used for plebitis, etc. It has to be specially compounded. If your doc or pharmacist needs more info they can call The Compounding Shoppe at 1-800-834-8666.

Hope this helps
Unread 10-04-2000, 09:31 PM

I had what sounds like the same thing. I was three weeks post op, when the lump came up and I freaked and ran to doctor. My doctor said that it was a type of blood clot caused from trama to the vein and I was on asprin daily. Two weeks later, it is still there, but lots smaller. I guess It is pretty common, all this made me feel better
Penny
Unread 10-05-2000, 10:19 AM
Lump on wrist

Me too! the doctor says that it should clear up in 6-8 weeks. It is tender but getting better.
Unread 10-22-2000, 11:13 AM
I found it! re: old post on iv questions

I hope by posting here I will bring this post to present day of Oct. 22 as we are searching for more answers concerning this issue.

Here it goes.

Angie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.